TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Odyssey Battery

I am not totally sure of the total logic I had in my mind but with my battery is in the trunk and I don't drive it every day, I went looking for a "better" battery.

I decided on the USA made Drycell Odyssey Model # PC1200-MJT, I got it at Batteries Plus for $240

web.jpg

Year 2007

Make Ford

Model Mustang

Engine 4.6 Liters 281 CID V8

BCI Group Size 40R

ODYSSEY MODEL PC1200MJT

Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 1200

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 550

20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 42

Reserve Capacity Minutes 78

Dimensions

L x W X H - Inches 7.87 x 6.66 x 6.80

Weight (lbs) 38.2

The Warranty is 3 years non-prorated (switch for a new one)

Motorcraft OEM one

web.jpg

New Odyssey one

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Take Care

Andrew

Your battery installation in photo one is bogus. The positive cable is going to get cut by the box ans short out over time, there is no isolation grommit on the positive cable, negative is grommeted. You want to grommet the POSITIVE side. You will short out and your car may become a ball of flames from the short.

I would fix it.

Did you do the battery box install? What made you decide on that mod its a cool one...

Cheers looks great except for the grommet.

I have alot of experience with very high amp high vibration 12v systems, shorts on 12v usually involve some high amps and it is not pretty when it happens.... :cry:

Your battery installation in photo one is bogus. The positive cable is going to get cut by the box ans short out over time, there is no isolation grommit on the positive cable, negative is grommeted. You want to grommet the POSITIVE side. You will short out and your car may become a ball of flames from the short.

I would fix it.

Did you do the battery box install? What made you decide on that mod its a cool one...

Cheers looks great except for the grommet.

I have alot of experience with very high amp high vibration 12v systems, shorts on 12v usually involve some high amps and it is not pretty when it happens.... :cry:

You were 100% correct. I should have watched the order of the photos. After install both cables, I had to redo the grommets (see the photo with the blue flashlight on the left) actually both of them, thanks for looking out for me.

The only short coming was that the new battery is shorter in length than the old one and the holes in the box no longer line up with the posts and had to do some wiggling, (that is how the grommets came out) to get everything to fit.

I had the battery relocation mod done while the supercharger was being put in, by the shop who did the supercharger install.

Take Care,

Andrew

Andrew,

Nice battery !

I happen to work in product enginnering department for the Company that makes the Odyssey battery (EnerSys). We also make the DieHard platinum batteries for Sears. With you relocating your battrey to the trunk you probably could of got the G34-PC1500 or 34R-PC1500 which would have given you another 300 pulse cranks and would have filled out the battery box. We currently don't make a direct replacement for the stock Mustang battery if I remember right it's a group size 89 or 98. All of our Odyssey batteries are similar in construction to an Optima battery just not in the six-pack configuration and are designed for severe environments. We provide batteries for all types of commercial, industrial and military applications. One of the perks of working for the company is that I can buy these batteries with minor cosmetic flaws or over-runs for $20, I usually keep several sizes at home as I always seem to have friends that need a battery .. LOL Your new battery should last a lot longer than the factory lead-acid battery although if you store your car for the winter months you still may need to put it on a trickle charger after all the Mustang seems to have a large parasitic draw due to all the electronics.

Good luck, Don

Andrew,

Nice battery !

I happen to work in product enginnering department for the Company that makes the Odyssey battery (EnerSys). We also make the DieHard platinum batteries for Sears. With you relocating your battrey to the trunk you probably could of got the G34-PC1500 or 34R-PC1500 which would have given you another 300 pulse cranks and would have filled out the battery box. We currently don't make a direct replacement for the stock Mustang battery if I remember right it's a group size 89 or 98. All of our Odyssey batteries are similar in construction to an Optima battery just not in the six-pack configuration and are designed for severe environments. We provide batteries for all types of commercial, industrial and military applications. One of the perks of working for the company is that I can buy these batteries with minor cosmetic flaws or over-runs for $20, I usually keep several sizes at home as I always seem to have friends that need a battery .. LOL Your new battery should last a lot longer than the factory lead-acid battery although if you store your car for the winter months you still may need to put it on a trickle charger after all the Mustang seems to have a large parasitic draw due to all the electronics.

Good luck, Don

Thanks for all the info, I am excited about it and always love buying American. I don't store the car during the winter but I can go 3 weeks without driving it if the weather is bad. I live in mountains in North Carolina and our winters are pretty mild.

Again thanks

Andrew

You were 100% correct. I should have watched the order of the photos. After install both cables, I had to redo the grommets (see the photo with the blue flashlight on the left) actually both of them, thanks for looking out for me.

The only short coming was that the new battery is shorter in length than the old one and the holes in the box no longer line up with the posts and had to do some wiggling, (that is how the grommets came out) to get everything to fit.

I had the battery relocation mod done while the supercharger was being put in, by the shop who did the supercharger install.

Take Care,

Andrew

Andrew, Your right I did not see that on the other picture. Just was hoping to save you some melted aluminum... :hysterical:

Looks Great! :happy feet: Cheers!-Mc

Archived