TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger belts - which SC has the reliable belt?

...all of the hype about KB vs Whipple vs Paxton vs Saleen vs Vortech etc dyno numbers and e.t.'s is great information, but can you fellow GT/SC folks weigh in with regards to your SC belt experiences?

I see upgrade kits available for the Whipple, 6-rib and the new Steeda 10-rib setup - looks great, but out of the box, which SC setup offers the most reliable belt arrangement, and the worst in your opinions???

I have a Whipple HO setup. I've thrown one belt and could not find one in a town of 120,000 people. The belt from Whipple was around $90. I ordered 2 belts from Joe Heck racing for $60 a piece. This is the only problem that I've had with Whipple. The system has a minor flaw and I think they take advantage of their customers with the price of their belts. At least Joe Amato is there to help us. Since I threw the belt, I added a plate to support the stock idler arm, and haven't had any problems. I'm going to add a Steeda belt system when they offer a little larger pulley to drop the boost to around 10 psi.

As an aside, scoring a belt from a bearing house will save you alot of coin, all belts have std part numbers on them, thats what all the race shops do I think as well. Works great for oil-seals, locktite and bearings too. Comes in real handy working on engines and stuff esp. HD motorcycles. HD has insane mark-ups on Timkin std bearings and the dealers all stock more t-shirts, loafers and branded crap rather than actual parts for motorcycles these days anyhow. So from HD you also get to wait about a week or more for a std part that is over the counter down the street. FTF.

Look under bearing suppliers in your phone book they will most likley have your belt as they are an industrial mainstay... go with Gates they are good.

Archived