TEAM SHELBY FORUM

removal of factory grill question?

Need assistance.......

I am wanting to remove the entire ford grill that the billet grill is attached to on my Gt-H. I am installing an entirely different billet grill.

I can see that the grill snaps into place in many locations. I have tried to kind of snap it out but I fear that I will break off the ends of the housing that the grill is snapped into..........Sounds confusing...sorry. I don't want to muscle it out and BREAK something. There has to be a way to do it properly.

Does anyone here know a way to do this without breaking the clips or the inserts they clip into?

Is there a special tool?

Hope someone knows the trick.........Thanks...Philip

I've had my complete grille out a couple of times.

First, the obvious. You have to remove the plastic radiator cover from the engine compartment.

Once removed, you can see most (if not all) of the tabs that hold the grill in place. The tabs just slide into the slots (in the bumper cover I believe). I used a long screwdriver to pry between the tabs and the slots. I started on the drivers side. Just try to get the tab to slide a little, then move to the next one.

Once I had a couple tabs started. I just pull it out. It takes a little force. You'll probably think you're going to break it. It's pretty tough though. like I said, I've had mine out a couple of times and haven't broken it yet.

Last note. You may want to put some masking tape on the top of the bumper, along the front edge of the grille. This will prevent the grille from scratching the bumper as you slide it out of position.

Good luck!

Last note. You may want to put some masking tape on the top of the bumper, along the front edge of the grille. This will prevent the grille from scratching the bumper as you slide it out of position.

Good luck!

Definitely heed this advice. I used newpaper and slid it between the bottom of the grille and top of the bumper and taped it so it wouldn't move when I pulled the grille out. Doesn't matter how you do it, just do it!!!!

Make sure the plastic isn't cold and brittle or it will break when you try to pry the tabs with the long screwdriver... Set the car out in the sun (if possible), heat the garage (again if possible) or even use a hair dryer on low (indirect) heat...

Need assistance.......

I am wanting to remove the entire ford grill that the billet grill is attached to on my Gt-H. I am installing an entirely different billet grill.

I can see that the grill snaps into place in many locations. I have tried to kind of snap it out but I fear that I will break off the ends of the housing that the grill is snapped into..........Sounds confusing...sorry. I don't want to muscle it out and BREAK something. There has to be a way to do it properly.

Does anyone here know a way to do this without breaking the clips or the inserts they clip into?

Is there a special tool?

Hope someone knows the trick.........Thanks...Philip

What are you putting on? :headscratch:

You guy's are the best. :shift:

I knew somebody on this forum was able to help me. And you all have........THANKS ALOT.

I am "attempting to install" a Cervini billet grill with the inboard fog lights.

I decided NOT TO PURCHASE THE SHELBY SETUP. "lower driving PIAA lights" I have no desire to butcher the factory front fascia to install them.

The 2006 GT-H as you know did not have them like 07's do. Don't get me wrong anyone, please. The PIAA is a sweet setup for sure.

I figured the Cervini grill with Inboards to be the most logical choice for me. I like the driving light setup IN THE GRILL. Not only for appearance but they are very functional. Especially when your pushing 90 into your favorite "catskill mountain smooth back road" with no law enforcement around>>>>>>>>>>>>HA....LOL

The Cervini grill is virtually identical to the Shelby billet unit but employs the fogs in the grill

with billet rings around the fog lights. Looks very retro.

And most importantly to me is that I don't have to cut ANYTHING. It's simply remove the original grill and put it in the closet with the other stuff that I upgraded and install the new grill. Plug and play really.

And I can always reinstall the original grill if I want down the road.

Thank you again for ALL your help.............Philip

Good luck with it!

Post some pics when you're done!

Need some additonal help on removing front grill on shelby gt with out removing bumper cover.

When preping the area i understand that you should tape off and protect top of bumper cover just in front of upper grill with masking tape and newspaper. Then remove radiator cover and access tabs to grill

insert. now do you pry them up with flat head screw drive and needle nose. Then once the tabs are partially or mostly unseated. Then what do you pull the grill upwards and forward TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE BUMPER at the same time and also where to you grab on to the grill when pulling it out.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.

SCOTTY

Need some additonal help on removing front grill on shelby gt with out removing bumper cover.

When preping the area i understand that you should tape off and protect top of bumper cover just in front of upper grill with masking tape and newspaper. Then remove radiator cover and access tabs to grill

insert. now do you pry them up with flat head screw drive and needle nose. Then once the tabs are partially or mostly unseated. Then what do you pull the grill upwards and forward TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE BUMPER at the same time and also where to you grab on to the grill when pulling it out.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.

SCOTTY

Once you have most of those tabs released, you can just push on the back of the grille and it will just fall right out. At least that's what happened in my case. I never had to pull on it from the front to get it out.

Archived