TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake vibration

lrock

Does anyone have a bad vibration on their SS? I have a crazy vibration when I drive. I thought I might have a flat spot on my tires, but it did not go away after driving. I am going to check the balance. If that is not it, I will have to call Shelby. The vibration seems to come from the front end. My car shakes and vibrates so bad, you can't hold a line. I have never had 20 inch rims, so I first blamed them. Now, something has to be wrong. It is the first thing anyone who drives it notices. Any ideas before I take it in? The steering wheel bounces several degrees back and forth and shakes while driving. The whole car feels unsettled. Thanks..

Lrock

07ss0157

I had this a couple of weeks ago and from the severity of the vibration you're feeling it's sounds like the same problem I had. The whole car shook and shuddered like I've never felt and the doors felt like they were going to fall off. (mind you that was at 145mph)

It turned out to be one of the tyre pressure monitors had come off.

If you jack your car up and rotate a wheel you'll find that you might hear it rolling around inside.

Do let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Like y'all,had a vibation & noise from left front tire- sounded like tire slap or extreme flat spot. Raised car & rotated tire. Sounded like something was loose inside. Removed tire & wheel & had it broke down. Appears both sensor & bracket were damaged during initial installation & sensor was loose inside tire. Replaced damaged parts & re-balanced. Have yet to drive it, but am confident that problem's corrected. Thanks for the tip!

Like y'all,had a vibation & noise from left front tire- sounded like tire slap or extreme flat spot. Raised car & rotated tire. Sounded like something was loose inside. Removed tire & wheel & had it broke down. Appears both sensor & bracket were damaged during initial installation & sensor was loose inside tire. Replaced damaged parts & re-balanced. Have yet to drive it, but am confident that problem's corrected. Thanks for the tip!

I've got a few quality issues with my Snake. However where I live their is still snow on the ground. Will wait another few months till spring.

What happened to the QC department??

Please don't think I'm complaining about the quality of SS package. I'm not. The quality & workmanship are exceptional! The speed sensor is either a case of human error or defective part which was easily & quickly resolved. Thanks Shelby for the well thought out Super Snake package! It's awesome! Also, this Forum is a great place to get good advice.

I took my SS in to have the tires balanced and the computer reflashed (my program did not take all the way and my speedo was off). After Ford worked through the computer flash, they called and said their tire machine would not balance the 20 inch rims. I called a speciality tire store who said they could do it and they would hold a bay for me. All this time a storm was blowing in. My car has never seen rain. Got there and no open bays. Sleet was in the forcast, I took the car home with no resolution to the tire issue. I parked it and minutes later sleet and hail hit where I live. So.... no idea if the tires are out of balance, but I did get it garaged before it got pelted with sleet and hail. I will post after I resched with the tire store.

Bud, thanks for the help on the phone with the computer flash.

Lrock

07SS0157

• 2 weeks later...

I was very happy to find out that it was just a balance issue. I feared I might have a rim out of true. I had everything check, it was ony the balance. My shop thought the tires had been static balanced. They put them on a high speed machine. The tire I watched was 1.90 something out of balance on the machine. The tech said that was bad and all had been that way. It drives like a different car. So happy now...

BTW, the shop was Dunlap and Kyle Tires.

Lrock

07SS0157

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bad vibration in my SS. Only put 475 mile on it since the conversion. End up being the rear was not installed properly and the ring and pinion went bad. Had to have the car towed into the local dealer. Had gear oil sprayed all over the back end. Shelby sent out the parts and had the dealer's mechanic install the parts correctly. Then as i was driving it home after the repair I smelled burning oil. Seems the oil sensor was not tightened upon installing the dash gauges and it was leaking on to the tail pipe. All in all I love the car but have lost confidence in the mod shop.

And no I don't race the car. in fact I only take it out when the weather is nice. I only have a total of 1659 miles on it and have had it since Sept. 07

Archived