TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just got the TSB done-first impressions

relopez98

Had the TSB done at 13,4xx miles or so, just got it back today after 10 days w/ the dealership (thanks Rodeo Ford-Plano for getting this done).

First Impressions:

Clutch travel is down to about 1/3 of what it originally was

No longer a "man's" clutch as it is VERY soft now

release is instantaneous on the clutch, and disengagement starts as soon as you start to let the clutch out

no grinding of the gears, yet, and went about 10 miles from dealer to work, stop and go and highway

shifting is like a hot knife in warm butter now

No drag, engagement is solid, no chatter heard yet

passed the hiss test

passed the 1st and reverse gear tests

still a little "crunching" but I think this is normal from 1st to 2nd.

Question:

Can others who have had the TSB done confirm the MUCH shorter travel distance on the new clutch?

The old one had a HUGE travel length and the clutch seemed to come up much farther off the floor.

Thanks, all imput is appreciated.

Eric

Did they do any tranny work or just the clutch/flywheel?

supposedly they did the kit on the syncros too, not a new one, but the rebuild kit.

at least that's wha t the invoice said.

I should have an updated report this weekend.

Weather is nice today, and should be mid 50s tomorrow. Gonna put a tank in her and do some leisurely driving around to break it in.

I'll keep updating as I have more impressions.

Had the TSB done at 13,4xx miles or so, just got it back today after 10 days w/ the dealership (thanks Rodeo Ford-Plano for getting this done).

First Impressions:

Clutch travel is down to about 1/3 of what it originally was

No longer a "man's" clutch as it is VERY soft now

release is instantaneous on the clutch, and disengagement starts as soon as you start to let the clutch out

no grinding of the gears, yet, and went about 10 miles from dealer to work, stop and go and highway

shifting is like a hot knife in warm butter now

No drag, engagement is solid, no chatter heard yet

passed the hiss test

passed the 1st and reverse gear tests

still a little "crunching" but I think this is normal from 1st to 2nd.

Question:

Can others who have had the TSB done confirm the MUCH shorter travel distance on the new clutch?

The old one had a HUGE travel length and the clutch seemed to come up much farther off the floor.

Thanks, all imput is appreciated.

Eric

My engagement and travel is in the first 1/3 as well. I would swear that it is not releasing all the way but only time will tell. No slippage but I do have chatter back now. Oh yeah, I have wheel hop now but never had it before the TSB. The clutch initially felt like a Toyata but the softness went way away after 75 miles for me. I believe that there was air in the lines that worked itself out with some driving. Several have posted on this as well. Pumping the clutch 10-12 times and the brake 2-3 times prior to startup when cold should help work that out. I'm going to crawl under this weekend and inspect to make sure they finally installed the new flywheel.

My engagement and travel is in the first 1/3 as well. I would swear that it is not releasing all the way but only time will tell. No slippage but I do have chatter back now. Oh yeah, I have wheel hop now but never had it before the TSB. The clutch initially felt like a Toyata but the softness went way away after 75 miles for me. I believe that there was air in the lines that worked itself out with some driving. Several have posted on this as well. Pumping the clutch 10-12 times and the brake 2-3 times prior to startup when cold should help work that out. I'm going to crawl under this weekend and inspect to make sure they finally installed the new flywheel.

Cool, I'll try the pumping when cold. When I first tried it out, I thought they had put in a toy clutch....really a dramatic change.

Mine comes about and inch and a quarter off the floor and it starts to engage. That is where it should be.

Thanks Grabber, this helps and lets me know that this is how it is supposed to feel.

I am hopefull that it'll break in w/ some more day to day driving. I'm just glad that it's finally been done and was fully covered, no hassles.

Good dealerships are hard to find sometimes, but worth the exercise in patience.

Eric

I just got mine back today after the TSB, I highly recommend San Tan Ford in Gilbert, AZ (Phoenix suburb). 4 days in the shop with two calls a day from the service rep letting me know the progress on the car. I agree the clutch feels much softer, but I only have 10 miles on mine since the fix. I expect to put some miles on the car tomorrow and work any air out of the lines and get a better feel of the engagement. I also had them install a KR short shifter while the tranny/clutch work was being performed. So far I am very impressed with the feel of the new linkage, although on light driving so far.

One question, how long should the car be babied after the TSB work?

My tech told me that I should drive it "normal" and not to push it real hard for the first 50 miles. He told me to drive it where I could do a bunch of shifting in that 50 miles too. Then he said I could drive as agressive as I wanted.

I just got mine back today after the TSB, I highly recommend San Tan Ford in Gilbert, AZ (Phoenix suburb). 4 days in the shop with two calls a day from the service rep letting me know the progress on the car. I agree the clutch feels much softer, but I only have 10 miles on mine since the fix. I expect to put some miles on the car tomorrow and work any air out of the lines and get a better feel of the engagement. I also had them install a KR short shifter while the tranny/clutch work was being performed. So far I am very impressed with the feel of the new linkage, although on light driving so far.

Another happy San Tan Ford customer! I have over 600 miles on mine since the TSB and all is well. I agree with your statement about the FR shifter - very nice mod.

My clutch felt a bit lighter initially as well but either everything returned to normal after usage/miles or perhaps I just got use to it. Experienced more shuddering out of 1st initially, but that seems to have smoothed out over the miles. On occassion, when cold, it was a bit stiff when shifting into 2nd gear the first time, but that seems to have improved as well. I still have the gear roll-over noise in neutral especially when the AC is on.

My tech told me that I should drive it "normal" and not to push it real hard for the first 50 miles. He told me to drive it where I could do a bunch of shifting in that 50 miles too. Then he said I could drive as agressive as I wanted.

Thanks for , very similar to what the service advisor told me. I did get to drive it a bit more today, about 60 miles worth, mostly city. I am enjoying the improved clutch engagement, more exact and earlier in the travel than before the TSB.

I just had the TSB done on mine and got it back last week... I have the same impressions the engagement is just off the floor. The feel is definately different. They Shifting still feels a little crunchy into first and second. I have only been able to put about 70 miles on the car since the work was done so still formulating my impressions and getting used to the new feel of it. I put it at Grapevine Ford last tuesday and got it back wed evening. They did the Clutch Kit, flywheel and sync.

The clutch is much softer but it just takes a little getting used to.. It is kind of nice not having the clutch engage so far off the floor like it was before the TSB.

So Far So Good. Very Happy with the work done. :happy feet:

Cool, I'll try the pumping when cold. When I first tried it out, I thought they had put in a toy clutch....really a dramatic change.

Thanks Grabber, this helps and lets me know that this is how it is supposed to feel.

I am hopefull that it'll break in w/ some more day to day driving. I'm just glad that it's finally been done and was fully covered, no hassles.

Good dealerships are hard to find sometimes, but worth the exercise in patience.

Eric

Archived