TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton pulled for 2007-2009 Mustang

Well we won't but I'd bet someone will....

So can SAI sell the Paxton Kits to individuals then? Thanks...

That would be awfully nice. I'd love to just buy the SAI stamped Paxton and install it myself.

Somehow, I doubt they'd do that, but I'm anxiously awaiting the answer on that.

If not, you guys could always just buy a NOVI from Summit or someone else and install it yourself.

It just wouldn't have the Shelby badge I guess.

Ken

That would be awfully nice. I'd love to just buy the SAI stamped Paxton and install it myself.

Somehow, I doubt they'd do that, but I'm anxiously awaiting the answer on that.

If not, you guys could always just buy a NOVI from Summit or someone else and install it yourself.

It just wouldn't have the Shelby badge I guess.

Ken

You can buy a NOVI from Paxton right now, they told me they would sell me one but it would not be street legal. I wonder if SAI will sell the Novi 1200's they have sitting around to us, since they are in the catalog.

Just got an email from Quantum that Paxton has pulled their S/C for 07-09 V8 Mustangs due to CARB/EOB issues. No more details but I was in the process of getting a quote for my S/C and now being told it can't be done with a Paxton....?????

Can you post the email you received from Quantum?

No one else seems to be able to verify any of this. Thanks.

Ken

Can you post the email you received from Quantum?

No one else seems to be able to verify any of this. Thanks.

Ken

"Hi Jason,

We wanted to provide an estimate for you, but Paxton just pulled their S/C's for the 07-09 V-8's due to CARB/EOB problems.

What other supercharger would work for you?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Glenn"

Then this today:

"Hi Jason,

I just emailed the Mod Shop Director at Shelby Autos asking for clarification on this issue. Nobody should be quoting these if they can't pass emissions testing, unless you are "off-road only".

We have to put a sticker on each car with the CARB/EOB Exemption information on it.

I will let you know what I learn from Shelby Autos.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Glenn"

Now the funny thing is TASCA just quoted me for a Paxton too. However they recommend the Whipple. Of course the Whipple is only $2800 more (my wife wants to kill me right now)....but she said "I don't care just take it and get it done" hmmm did she really mean it??

Hope this helps

Bud just wrote me and said "As far as I know, it has not been pulled. They are still waiting on getting them certified. I heard it should be sometime this year---I hope".

Edited:

This is the same thing I posted last night that Bud said, he wrote me immediately last night and was verbatum on your email.

Paxton today though (I was standing right next to the dealer when they called) told us "it could be at least another year" (guy on the line at Paxton was named John)

It sounds like Glenn at Quantum either honestly doesn't know what he's talking about or, B) he wants to close the Paxton option to you, get your mind off of it completely by telling you they're 'pulled', and sell you a Whipple or KB instead (due to the unknown wait on the Paxton).

Just my .02. Nothing has changed with the Paxton. Lots of people have been in the same place you are in now for many, many months.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Ken

Hi all,

This is a copy of the spreadsheet I send out when asked about mods. And yes, you will see that Paxton is still on it. Just because I can not offer it at this time doesn't mean that it will never be offered again. Its just a waiting game now. And I am hoping that when they do become certified, the prices stay the same too.

Bud

Available Installed Options for a 2007-2008 Shelby GT

Shelby/Kenne Bell Super Charger (Polished) 8,500.00

Shelby/Kenne Bell Super Charger (Black) 8,000.00

Paxton Super Charger(Satin) 6,195.00

Paxton Super Charger(Polished) 6,395.00

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger 8,895.00 New price as of 8/27/08

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger(Polished) 9,195.00 New price as of 8/27/08

Shelby/ BAER Big Brakes 2,400.00

Shelby/ BAER EXTREME Brakes 4,200.00

20" Shelby Razors w/Tires 2,175.00

Shelby Brake Duct Kit 499.00

Shelby Gauges (S/C cars) 1,087.00

Shelby Gauges (non S/C cars) 980.00

Lower Grille w/Driving lights 425.00

Sequential Tail Lights 249.00

GT Spoiler 499.00

Billet Fluid Caps 310.00

CS Grille w/Driving Lights 575.00

GT-H/ CS Hood 1,599.00

Bud, if you would, please poke the link in post-9. That is the current document-of-record in the State of CA ARB database for the Paxtons. Pg-4 shows the 1200 and 2200 (woth cooler) 'approved' (they hate that word) for the 2007 3V. It would seem there's no problem as far as California is concerned. If so, can you share what seems to be the reason you've been instructed to not install them and who might be the source of that directive? I.e., is it SAI? CARB? other? Appreciate any insight you can share.

I called Paxton today and told the person I had a 2007 Shelby GT, 4.6 3V and he stated the Paxton is NOT certified for 2007 or 2008. He did mention there was a paper element from the factory and when that is removed the test is no longer valid. The paper element is removed when the SC is installed. He did say engineering is working on the issue and they have not given up. While on the phone I walked him to the Team Shelby Forum and this thread. He read about people switching to Kenne Belle, Whipple, or Edelbrock and said they did not want to lose business and that should be enough to get things moving. He did not say how long it would be. Sadly, there is probably a lot of hoops to jump though to obtain certification and the EPA or California is really not in a hurry to help people get a super charger.

I called Paxton today and told the person I had a 2007 Shelby GT, 4.6 3V and he stated the Paxton is NOT certified for 2007 or 2008. He did mention there was a paper element from the factory and when that is removed the test is no longer valid. The paper element is removed when the SC is installed. He did say engineering is working on the issue and they have not given up. While on the phone I walked him to the Team Shelby Forum and this thread. He read about people switching to Kenne Belle, Whipple, or Edelbrock and said they did not want to lose business and that should be enough to get things moving. He did not say how long it would be. Sadly, there is probably a lot of hoops to jump though to obtain certification and the EPA or California is really not in a hurry to help people get a super charger.

Is that the paper air-filter element, 69? Is the problem that the Paxton kit includes a different air-filter element or something like that?

He mentioned it was the paper element in the box and they change that when they install the SC. I assume the paxton has a CAI similar to the Shelby GT. Either way it does not meet the requirements. It may just be that they have to run all the tests again with the new air filter but I do not know.

I also spoke to the person about running a different pulley on the paxton w/ intercooler rather than the 11 PSI. I said I would be hesitant to run 11 PSI on a stock lower end. I asked if I could run the lower pulley with 7-8 PSI. He stated the pulley comes as part of the kit. The 7-8 PSI is only used without the intercooler. The 11 PSI is used with the intercooler. He stated it is not an issue that the warranty is for 3 years. However, is that warranty on the blower or the motor? He stated they do a very conservative tune on the 11 PSI and tune for 91 octane gas as that is all they have in California. He also stated if you would use the 7-8 PSI pulley on the intercooled paxton that would void the warranty. He also stated the tune is so convervative they leave 20-3- HP. He said a good dyno tuner could gain the 20-30 but then it is less reliable for the engine. I think I would prefer the 7-8 PSI given my druthers.

He mentioned it was the paper element in the box and they change that when they install the SC. I assume the paxton has a CAI similar to the Shelby GT. Either way it does not meet the requirements. It may just be that they have to run all the tests again with the new air filter but I do not know.

I also spoke to the person about running a different pulley on the paxton w/ intercooler rather than the 11 PSI. I said I would be hesitant to run 11 PSI on a stock lower end. I asked if I could run the lower pulley with 7-8 PSI. He stated the pulley comes as part of the kit. The 7-8 PSI is only used without the intercooler. The 11 PSI is used with the intercooler. He stated it is not an issue that the warranty is for 3 years. However, is that warranty on the blower or the motor? He stated they do a very conservative tune on the 11 PSI and tune for 91 octane gas as that is all they have in California. He also stated if you would use the 7-8 PSI pulley on the intercooled paxton that would void the warranty. He also stated the tune is so convervative they leave 20-3- HP. He said a good dyno tuner could gain the 20-30 but then it is less reliable for the engine. I think I would prefer the 7-8 PSI given my druthers.

Thanks a lot for the footwork with Paxton. It's nice to finally get a clear answer on all of this. I hope they can get it together soon.

As for the removal of the paper air filter, I'm confused. How in the world can that make that big of a difference? After all, every aftermarket CAI kit is built with a fiber filter, including the FRPP kit that comes on the SGT.

No matter the case, thanks for the info from Paxton directly.

Ken

If you are speaking to a Las Vegas install, the tax rate is 7.75%

Jim

Jim,

Yes, it would be a Las Vegas install as the prices were direct from Bud at SAI.

Slight silver lining, as it is slightly less than our rate of 7.9% in SW Washington.

Thanks!

Lg

+1 ...and running the lower boost with the intercooler is better than without, imo.

--

69, I think your instincts are right-on ...I wouldn't let Paxton's comments steer you astray (lol) ...makes no sense to discourage someone wanting to run lower boost but with the cooler, imo.

So this is really interesting...This came from Quantum this morning to my email

"I did find out that Paxton is still making and selling the units, but may not be shipping a tuner with it since it is not emissions legal. We would have to get a waiver from you that the car is "off-road only" and add a tuner to the deal. Shelby Autos quotes them in the hope that the unit will "soon" be 50-state legal, since that's all they can install in Las Vegas. They only do 50-state legal installs."

Sounds like you can get the Paxton from Quantum. I should say I know you can. My local shop in NC called me last night and said they would do the Novi 2200 anyway with a 3 year warranty and tune it for me. They also said they have never heard of any inspector looking for the CARB/EOB paperwork or sticker in NC, they assured me it would still pass the sniffer test when tuned but would not have the CARB/EOB endorsement.

Just wanted to add this update for you all.

I booked my appointment with Tasca for 2 March- for a Polished Whipple--can't wait!

Quite a few supercharger companies will sell a "Tuner" kit. A kit that has all the hardware but no software or "tune". It's up to the owner to find a speed shop and have the computer tuned for the supercharger. These kits are for off road use only and not 50 state emissions legal. Not saying you couldn't get away with it, but the supercharger companies have to sell it as such.

This is the route that SFM6S006 had his GO SGT done at Tasca and I believe 08SGT0084 (or 85?) slipped through the SAI Mod-Shop for Galpin Ford.

Thanks a lot for the footwork with Paxton. It's nice to finally get a clear answer on all of this. I hope they can get it together soon.

As for the removal of the paper air filter, I'm confused. How in the world can that make that big of a difference? After all, every aftermarket CAI kit is built with a fiber filter, including the FRPP kit that comes on the SGT.

No matter the case, thanks for the info from Paxton directly.

Ken

Comparing notes: I was told by Paxton that it was actually a charcoal patch that is in the lid of the '08 stock airbox. This patch was intended to catch gases that could emerge out of the intake tube when the engine is turned off. The technicality is that the baseline tune that was submitted along with the Paxton config for the EO did not have or acknowledge the carbon patch. This is the reason that the EO was rejected. Paxton would need to redo the entire application process to include the small charcoal patch in the baseline tune airbox. and perhaps find a way to add one to the filter arrangement. This is unfortunate... Paxton engineering also advised that this process is on hold indefinitely.

Yes, Quantum can still install one as long as you sign the offf-road use waiver and hope that your State never gets anal about verifying the EO. This is probably not an issue for the 48 States, but it could get more controversial in the future.

I really wanted the Paxton too, but with all of this EO BS and not getting consistent answers, I am inclined to look at the FR Whipple option again. I'm also not certain if it is feasible to upgrade the belt to 6 or 8 ribs on the Paxton unit since it is installed so close to the head...

Comparing notes: I was told by Paxton that it was actually a charcoal patch that is in the lid of the '08 stock airbox. This patch was intended to catch gases that could emerge out of the intake tube when the engine is turned off. The technicality is that the baseline tune that was submitted along with the Paxton config for the EO did not have or acknowledge the carbon patch. This is the reason that the EO was rejected. Paxton would need to redo the entire application process to include the small charcoal patch in the baseline tune airbox. and perhaps find a way to add one to the filter arrangement. This is unfortunate... Paxton engineering also advised that this process is on hold indefinitely.

Yes, Quantum can still install one as long as you sign the offf-road use waiver and hope that your State never gets anal about verifying the EO. This is probably not an issue for the 48 States, but it could get more controversial in the future.

I really wanted the Paxton too, but with all of this EO BS and not getting consistent answers, I am inclined to look at the FR Whipple option again. I'm also not certain if it is feasible to upgrade the belt to 6 or 8 ribs on the Paxton unit since it is installed so close to the head...

Great :hysterical: so is there anyone from Paxton or SAI that can give us the real story as everything goes now we have multiple stories....

So when will it be certified?

Will they even bother certify it?

Are these done for legal install?

Lameo gov't buracracy BS. When I wanted the Paxton could not get into the shop....aaarrrrggggghhhhhh. I am not sure the others are worth the extra coin and the Paxton polished is still the looks winner hands down to me....

this is a drag...bt eh wadda you gonna do? :cry:

Archived