TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Considering a new GT500...again!

Seahorse

Hey folks. Origionally joined the forum way back before the GT500 first appeared, got left for cold in the origional feeding frenzy (I'm sure you all remember that) on the car and, to make a long story short, moved on to something else. Well the only constant in life is change, so I find myself again considering a new Shelby and have spent quite some time on here recently just searching and reading and searching some more on anything that pops into my head regarding the car and everything surrounding ownership of it.

So I'm now very seriously looking at a couple new 2009 converibles (both loaded except nav, one "Vapor" and the other black) remaining in dealer stock, and would welcome some comments on a couple points that I haven't found a whole lot of discussion on.

1. For convertible owners in particular, how has your car held up, generally, over the time you've owned it? Not the major stuff, but the little things that you're now noticing as miles add up and that can make ownership annoying at times. Specifically squeaks, rattles, unusual interior wear...that sort of thing. I know I've owned an SN-95 GT in the past, and even as a coupe, it really started to feel more like a collection of parts flying in formation than a solidly built car as time went on.

2. FRPP shorty headers? Gains? Are they worth it?

3. The models I'm looking at are October '09 builds (according to the door jamb plates), they should have the updated flywheel/clutch, correct?

Thanks in advance! Feel free to add anything you might want to share about owning this car and/or things you'd change if you had it to do all over again!

Thanks in advance!

Hey folks. Origionally joined the forum way back before the GT500 first appeared, got left for cold in the origional feeding frenzy (I'm sure you all remember that) on the car and, to make a long story short, moved on to something else. Well the only constant in life is change, so I find myself again considering a new Shelby and have spent quite some time on here recently just searching and reading and searching some more on anything that pops into my head regarding the car and everything surrounding ownership of it.

So I'm now very seriously looking at a couple new 2009 converibles (both loaded except nav, one "Vapor" and the other black) remaining in dealer stock, and would welcome some comments on a couple points that I haven't found a whole lot of discussion on.

1. For convertible owners in particular, how has your car held up, generally, over the time you've owned it? Not the major stuff, but the little things that you're now noticing as miles add up and that can make ownership annoying at times. Specifically squeaks, rattles, unusual interior wear...that sort of thing. I know I've owned an SN-95 GT in the past, and even as a coupe, it really started to feel more like a collection of parts flying in formation than a solidly built car as time went on.

2. FRPP shorty headers? Gains? Are they worth it?

3. The models I'm looking at are October '09 builds (according to the door jamb plates), they should have the updated flywheel/clutch, correct?

Thanks in advance! Feel free to add anything you might want to share about owning this car and/or things you'd change if you had it to do all over again!

Thanks in advance!

I own a coupe and enjoy it but after seen vistablue convertible I think I made a mistake. Just my 2 , But like the saying goes the price goes up when the top comes down!!! :banghead:

I own a '07 vert and I am sorry to say it's a major disappointment. I rarely drive it - it just isn't fun. Rides like a buckboard, shudders, judders and jumps when you give it the gas. The interior is boring as hell. Oh, and I paid 65 large back in the day and thought I got a deal - now bluebook is 36 and change. Was thinking of SSing it, but 30 on top of 30 already lost? I could've bought a Aston Martin. Damn me if I don't like the 2010 though.

I own a '07 vert and I am sorry to say it's a major disappointment. I rarely drive it - it just isn't fun. Rides like a buckboard, shudders, judders and jumps when you give it the gas. The interior is boring as hell. Oh, and I paid 65 large back in the day and thought I got a deal - now bluebook is 36 and change. Was thinking of SSing it, but 30 on top of 30 already lost? I could've bought a Aston Martin. Damn me if I don't like the 2010 though.

Man, that's harsh. :hysterical:

Any 2009 built after 8/19/08 has the new parts in it. Flywheel included.

Woo, what have you been driving? Aston Martin? Really?

Welcome back - I remember your user name!

I am a fan of verts, so i've grown used to the usual body shudders over road imperfections. But it's not unbearable - the car is solid, no rattles or sqeaks. The car, whether coupe or vert is prone to wheel hop.

There's nothing I like better than top down cruising, city or highway. Wind noise at speed is ok, I usually drive at the speed limit anyway. It's better than the 04 Cobra vert I had, the car is longer and the door window sill is higher. You feel like you sit lower, and the buffeting is reduced. I noticed that back seat passengers are more comfy, too.

I had a 07 tungsten vert, now an 08 black vert. I would have got vapor though - black is awesome when it's clean, but I don't have the time to dust and detail everytime I take it out ... sigh

let us know what you decide

I own a coupe and enjoy it but after seen vistablue convertible I think I made a mistake. Just my 2 , But like the saying goes the price goes up when the top comes down!!! :banghead:

Yup, I've already ruled out getting a coupe...which the local dealer also has in stock.

Woah! Maybe I should just go shoot myself now for even considering this car! j'k :doh:

Damn me if I don't like the 2010 though.

It's like a disease...or a drug...we know it's not good for us, but we still go and do it all over again *L*. May as well wait for 2011 though if all the rumours are true *L*. Seriously though, your issues with the car - is it just buyers remorse not realizing exactly what you were getting into, or actual problems with the car you haven't been able to resolve?

Any and all input IS appreciated...

Any 2009 built after 8/19/08 has the new parts in it. Flywheel included.

Cool, thanks!

Welcome back - I remember your user name!

I am a fan of verts, so i've grown used to the usual body shudders over road imperfections. But it's not unbearable - the car is solid, no rattles or sqeaks. The car, whether coupe or vert is prone to wheel hop.

There's nothing I like better than top down cruising, city or highway. Wind noise at speed is ok, I usually drive at the speed limit anyway. It's better than the 04 Cobra vert I had, the car is longer and the door window sill is higher. You feel like you sit lower, and the buffeting is reduced. I noticed that back seat passengers are more comfy, too.

I had a 07 tungsten vert, now an 08 black vert. I would have got vapor though - black is awesome when it's clean, but I don't have the time to dust and detail everytime I take it out ... sigh

let us know what you decide

Thanks for the "welcome back" :) . I do realize the 'vert will have some cowl shake, nature of the beast. What I don't like is when that deteriorates into a mass of bangs, rattles, and squeaks, or is excessive to begin with. Last car was also a convertible so I really got used to the whole top down driving thing. Definitely a lot of intangibles there that I don't want to lose! Re the colour, really liked the Vapor, but also really like the red interior on the black.

Still dickering with the dealer, don't know if I'll end up on one...time will tell.

My 07 GT 500 is my 9th convertible, my 3rd Mustang convertible. As opposed to my 92, and to my Sebring convertible, this car is VERY solid. With the top up, it's the quietest convertible I've ever driven (of course I've never driven an Aston Martin). For me, there is only one option, it's a convertible or nothing, so you learn to live with the little things that you don't find in a coupe. Also, this car does not leak, even when I forget what I'm doing and spray the hose right at the window. Excellent seals all the way around. The vert has softer springs and a more compliant ride than the coupes--it's a fantastic grand touring car--if you want my opinion.

My 07 GT 500 is my 9th convertible, my 3rd Mustang convertible. As opposed to my 92, and to my Sebring convertible, this car is VERY solid. With the top up, it's the quietest convertible I've ever driven (of course I've never driven an Aston Martin). For me, there is only one option, it's a convertible or nothing, so you learn to live with the little things that you don't find in a coupe. Also, this car does not leak, even when I forget what I'm doing and spray the hose right at the window. Excellent seals all the way around. The vert has softer springs and a more compliant ride than the coupes--it's a fantastic grand touring car--if you want my opinion.

Thanks, especially the point about leaks - meant to highlight that question too in my origional post above. Previous car was a hard top convertible so had no issues there and was a bit more concerned about a soft top.

Seriously though, your issues with the car - is it just buyers remorse not realizing exactly what you were getting into, or actual problems with the car you haven't been able to resolve?

Well, here's the deal. I went from a BMW to the GT500. Not even in the same league. But I've been a Shelby fanatic since about 1975 and I own a '67 GT350 so I had to have the '07 (67-07 ah, the symmetry). And I had to have a vert because I always have a vert.

I may be missing the point, but I bought the car to drive, not as a paperweight. It just isn't a pleasant car to drive. Besides the constant oscillations that come through the wheel (even on smooth pavement) and the groaning and shuddering that come with normal driving, you have to drive it like you stole it to wring any pleasure from it (and that gets old, fast). And it doesn't have the simple amenities you'd find on an econo box. If I sound spoiled, let me say that I prefer to drive my Toyota Tacoma work truck - it's more fun to drive the truck like a sports car than the GT500.

Buyer's remorse? Ford made the GT as a limited edition and after two years it was done. Next, Ford announced the GT500 as a limited edition and I expected a few years of production and out - just like the GT. Wrong. I feel hosed on that account (yes, because I paid an ADM because I believed quantities were limited). I feel like a bit of a tool owning a car worth 30 grand less than I paid after two years - one that I don't love driving.

How's that for honesty. Flame suit on.

Well, to each their own. I can't emphasize with you on the drivability. My wife drives ours (almost) daily--her kindergarteners think she's driving KITT. Except for the clutch issues (being addressed by the tsb) I have no drivability issues with the car.....it's a pretty docile grocery getter and a pretty good eyeball flattener when you step on it. Are you happier with the way the '67 drives? If I had paid adm I might be unhappy too. Other than that I cannot concur with your "fun to drive" opinion of the car. Then again, opinions are like.....noses, we all have our own.

Well, here's the deal. I went from a BMW to the GT500. Not even in the same league. But I've been a Shelby fanatic since about 1975 and I own a '67 GT350 so I had to have the '07 (67-07 ah, the symmetry). And I had to have a vert because I always have a vert.

I may be missing the point, but I bought the car to drive, not as a paperweight. It just isn't a pleasant car to drive. Besides the constant oscillations that come through the wheel (even on smooth pavement) and the groaning and shuddering that come with normal driving, you have to drive it like you stole it to wring any pleasure from it (and that gets old, fast). And it doesn't have the simple amenities you'd find on an econo box. If I sound spoiled, let me say that I prefer to drive my Toyota Tacoma work truck - it's more fun to drive the truck like a sports car than the GT500.

Buyer's remorse? Ford made the GT as a limited edition and after two years it was done. Next, Ford announced the GT500 as a limited edition and I expected a few years of production and out - just like the GT. Wrong. I feel hosed on that account (yes, because I paid an ADM because I believed quantities were limited). I feel like a bit of a tool owning a car worth 30 grand less than I paid after two years - one that I don't love driving.

No flames from me, I appreciate all sides and opinions. I can appreciate what you're saying about the whole initial concept of the GT500, I was here very early in the game as well, and remember all the hype (good and bad) around the first appearance of the car. The ADM's were the main reason I stepped away from the car at the time. How times have changed there though, from an initial ADM of MSRP +5 G's back then for the '07's, I'm now looking at a brand new '09 at well below MSRP. I can relate to your experience moving from a BMW too, as my previous car was an AMG SLK55 (bought instead of that 2007 Shelby), and with it's full AMG suspension some people said it rode pretty brutal, but I personally had no problem with it. Of course interior fit and finish is in a different league, but not a big deal on that end for me.

Well, to each their own. I can't emphasize with you on the drivability. My wife drives ours (almost) daily--her kindergarteners think she's driving KITT. Except for the clutch issues (being addressed by the tsb) I have no drivability issues with the car.....it's a pretty docile grocery getter and a pretty good eyeball flattener when you step on it. Are you happier with the way the '67 drives? If I had paid adm I might be unhappy too. Other than that I cannot concur with your "fun to drive" opinion of the car. Then again, opinions are like.....noses, we all have our own.

Like I mentioned above, my previous car was pretty harsh riding to some, but both my wife and I found it more than acceptable. I had an LS1 Formula way back, with a decent load of mods, and THAT thing was brutal *L*.

Again, any and all input is welcome :)

I have the frpp shorty headers on my car, I couldn't tell you though about any gains I had the car put away for the winter pretty much right after I had them installed. I did just install the new frpp mufflers that everyones been waiting for and the car sounds awesome. I can't wait fo the roads to clean up a bit so I can get some ride time in.

I have the frpp shorty headers on my car, I couldn't tell you though about any gains I had the car put away for the winter pretty much right after I had them installed. I did just install the new frpp mufflers that everyones been waiting for and the car sounds awesome. I can't wait fo the roads to clean up a bit so I can get some ride time in.

Thanks for the info - I did read one other report on here that they showed only about 5hp gain on a dyno, so was wondering if anyone else had some comparative dyno/track numbers.

This is my first convertible car. I still love my vert but have to say that the newness has worn off a bit after 8k mi. After about 2k mi it lost the crispness of acceleration and handling from new. I have had significant TSB issues that have sucked alot of enjoyment out of the ownership experience and since installing the KR shifter all of the noises are adding up. Also, I never experience any wheelhop issues until after the last TSB repair attempt and now any slight break in traction results in awful wheelhop. Fortunately, the radio can be turned up, nicer sounding exhaust can be installed in your driveway for little $, and the wheelhop sounds like a simple fix with replacement upper control arms. That's the beauty of the Mustang platform in that the aftermarket is so large and diverse that you can modify to your tastes! One major fator for selecting the vert back in '07 is that the coupe felt like a closed in cave without a sunroof option. The glassback option now available looks very appealing but really, there is nothing like a sunny day with the top down and the sensation of speed with the wind blowing. With the top up, it is darn quiet and feels close to a coupe. I expect higher maintenance costs down the road for top and seal repairs but again that just goes with the territory. In either coupe or convertible form you will not be disappointed as just starting it up will send a shiver down your spine. If you want a refined car, this is not a good option. If you want some thing that is docile around town (other than that darn clutch!) but primative and brutal when you want it, the Gt500 has little equal!

This is my first convertible car. I still love my vert but have to say that the newness has worn off a bit after 8k mi. After about 2k mi it lost the crispness of acceleration and handling from new. I have had significant TSB issues that have sucked alot of enjoyment out of the ownership experience and since installing the KR shifter all of the noises are adding up. Also, I never experience any wheelhop issues until after the last TSB repair attempt and now any slight break in traction results in awful wheelhop. Fortunately, the radio can be turned up, nicer sounding exhaust can be installed in your driveway for little $, and the wheelhop sounds like a simple fix with replacement upper control arms. That's the beauty of the Mustang platform in that the aftermarket is so large and diverse that you can modify to your tastes! One major fator for selecting the vert back in '07 is that the coupe felt like a closed in cave without a sunroof option. The glassback option now available looks very appealing but really, there is nothing like a sunny day with the top down and the sensation of speed with the wind blowing. With the top up, it is darn quiet and feels close to a coupe. I expect higher maintenance costs down the road for top and seal repairs but again that just goes with the territory. In either coupe or convertible form you will not be disappointed as just starting it up will send a shiver down your spine. If you want a refined car, this is not a good option. If you want some thing that is docile around town (other than that darn clutch!) but primative and brutal when you want it, the Gt500 has little equal!

I hear ya on the whole aftermarket thing - that's half the fun, and something I did miss with my previous car which had a very limited aftermarket in both companies and selection, along with crazy prices. It's good to hear you're still enjoying the car though, even with the issues you pointed out. I'm not real big on refinement, it's nice for sure, but "fun" is the more important thing to me - having a car that puts a smile on your face every time you get in it. And being a convertible helps there too, no doubt.

That's interesting because the S197 Chassis is very similar to the BMW chassis.

I have never driven an Aston Martin but I have test driven 2008 997 Carrera S, 2008 Mercedes E93 AMG (507hp), and a BMW 335i twin turbo. All of these cars were very nice but for the money none of them provided the character or "fun factor" that the 08 GT500 gave. I pretty much concluded that you really need to spend upwards of 100,000 dollars to get something that has as much soul as a GT500 There really isn't anything under 100k I would rather have and in fact the only other sports car I would consider buying in my budget for pure enjoyment is the Porsche 911 GT3 or an Audi R8 - all of which are three times the cost.

And yes, 65,000 is too much for this car when it retails for 47,000...I would of never paid a markup and I'd probably be bitter about it if I did too.

Buy it!

With the economy the way it is, I'm sure if you want a vert of coupe (I'm a coupe guy). you could get a good deal. It worked for me. Walked in, ordered one for a bit over sticker. Put 10% down to show I was dead serious. Then...time passed and passed and passed. So, I walked in, said I was considering canceling my order (due the red appearance package not being available from the factory for a 2008 coupe) and MAN did that get attendion.

Long story short, got it for sticker w/an after market customizer putting the red stripes, etc. on.

This puppy will blow you away with zero performance mods. But if you want performance mods, there are tons out there. Also, if you are thinking of Supersnaking it, be aware flat-black stripes only on the SS. So keep that in mind.

Oh, and you know how if your drive a motorcycle, all of a sudden everybody with a motocycle is your friend, waves when you drive by, etc? Same here. I have yet to drive past another GT500 on the road, but EVERY current model mustang and mustang GT driver waves, gives me thumbs up. Very cool

Buy it, buy it, buy it!

S7MS

No flames here either, an honest opinion are what these forums are all about. Like you I've had the gambit of vehicles, my favorites have been my 09 GT500, my 2002 BMW M3 convertible, and my 2000 Corvette, in that order. Nothing against the Bimmer and the Vette, but I love the personality of the 500. I prefer it over anything I have owned. So I see your point but I find the rough edges part of the cars charm. The only thing that has pissed me off about the car is the clutch drag TSB (my car was built about 72 hours before the new parts hit the line.....figures) So that beef really isn't about the car but a beef with Ford and how they treat their customers. Just my 2 cents.

post-22339-1234793358_thumb.jpg

S7MS

No flames here either, an honest opinion are what these forums are all about. Like you I've had the gambit of vehicles, my favorites have been my 09 GT500, my 2002 BMW M3 convertible, and my 2000 Corvette, in that order. Nothing against the Bimmer and the Vette, but I love the personality of the 500. I prefer it over anything I have owned. So I see your point but I find the rough edges part of the cars charm. The only thing that has pissed me off about the car is the clutch drag TSB (my car was built about 72 hours before the new parts hit the line.....figures) So that beef really isn't about the car but a beef with Ford and how they treat their customers. Just my 2 cents.

I know how you feel. After reading all the TSB info I checked and saw my build date was 07/08. Sh.t! But, I figure to bite the bullet and replace the clutch and flywheel before any damage is done and figure I have a ride that can be tuned up to 700hp very easily, the clutch and tranny are strong enough to handle that, you won't find a performance sports car anywhere for that same value and potential, and... it is a head turner... Got a wife now and two kids so the young friends love it. If I was any younger though.... :) Buy one, own it, sell it and then you'll remember and/or regret that last part. But at least you will have owned a 500hp car.

S7MS

I agree. Love the car but am also upset about the clutch drag TSB. Gotta climb under it in the next couple of days to verify my flywheel but I'm pretty sure I have the old one. I also will miss it by around 72 hours. Build date of 8-15-08. She puts a smile on my face everytime I fire her up, although I worry in the back of my mind about the TSB. I hope when the time comes I can trust my dealer to do the right thing. If not I won't rest until I find one that will, as I refuse to let this issue ruin my dream car. :shift:

I agree. Love the car but am also upset about the clutch drag TSB. Gotta climb under it in the next couple of days to verify my flywheel but I'm pretty sure I have the old one. I also will miss it by around 72 hours. Build date of 8-15-08. She puts a smile on my face everytime I fire her up, although I worry in the back of my mind about the TSB. I hope when the time comes I can trust my dealer to do the right thing. If not I won't rest until I find one that will, as I refuse to let this issue ruin my dream car. :shift:

I agree 100% with you! As the others have said, meantime go out and enjoy the ride!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a lot of hmmming and hawwwing, and talking to owners here and on other sites, I went out and did the dirty deed today and bought me a shiney new 2009 GT500 convertible. Car is fully loaded, minus nav, and has a good few goodies already installed by the dealer - got an amazing deal on it all, and so she comes home tomorrow to sit in my garage until spring is finally sprung. Can't wait!

Feb_055.jpg

Seahorse, congrats on your new car. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

S7MS, I really wanted to flame you but, it's not necessary. You gave us an honest opinion about a car you actually own. My suggestion to you is to sell it and get something you actually enjoy driving. Nothing sucks more than owning a car you don't even like to drive. Hey, please post some pics of that '67....please?

Archived