TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'07 vs '08 Performance differences

PMN

This weekend my friend and I went to a private airfield where time attack was arranged.

Having this, we tried to compare our GT500s.

He has '08 fully stock with ca.1500miles on it.

Mine is '07 stock, only no axlebacks, ca.6000miles.

Same wheels/tires.

We did few runs, changing cars/drivers - each time '08 was noticably faster. It just got away from '07.

We haven't dynoed '08 but it is factory stock.

'07 dyno here (it's MAHA dyno):

PMNShelbystock.jpg

Why is it so?

In my car manual there's that '07 GT500 has 485HP.

May this be becouse of heavier lower ballancer pulley?

Sincerely, I thought that becouse of axleback delete (the dyno is before it - with full stock exhaust), I will gain advantage over '08...

BTW. There was a nice BMW M5 E60 with Michelin Pilot Sports at this time attack challenge - I think it was faster on the straight line from my '07, but it got banged at the corners. Funny, heh? :)

This weekend my friend and I went to a private airfield where time attack was arranged.

Having this, we tried to compare our GT500s.

He has '08 fully stock with ca.1500miles on it.

Mine is '07 stock, only no axlebacks, ca.6000miles.

Same wheels/tires.

We did few runs, changing cars/drivers - each time '08 was noticably faster. It just got away from '07.

We haven't dynoed '08 but it is factory stock.

'07 dyno here (it's MAHA dyno):

PMNShelbystock.jpg

Why is it so?

In my car manual there's that '07 GT500 has 485HP.

May this be becouse of heavier lower ballancer pulley?

Sincerely, I thought that becouse of axleback delete (the dyno is before it - with full stock exhaust), I will gain advantage over '08...

BTW. There was a nice BMW M5 E60 with Michelin Pilot Sports at this time attack challenge - I think it was faster on the straight line from my '07, but it got banged at the corners. Funny, heh? :)

Nope, no advantage for the 07 the 08 is fastest :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

It has to be! :shift:

You guys must be color blind. As you can see from the pic he posted, the Vista Blue is the fastest color. Well, we all knew that even before he posted that pic! :hysterical:

BTW, there may be something to that because I went up against a stock '07 (black) in my stock (Vista) and I pulled him. Took him for a ride in my car and he was amazed how hard my car pulled compared to his black car.

You guys must be color blind. As you can see from the pic he posted, the Vista Blue is the fastest color. Well, we all knew that even before he posted that pic! :hysterical:

BTW, there may be something to that because I went up against a stock '07 (black) in my stock (Vista) and I pulled him. Took him for a ride in my car and he was amazed how hard my car pulled compared to his black car.

Hello....meet Mr. Black in the nude! No stripes, JLT CAI & Tune, SLP Loudmouths & of course tiffany cobra center caps OBVIOUSLY makes it faster! :happy feet:

This been hashed over before & it appears the colour Vista Blue is faster due to the less friction of the air passing over the colour blue at high speeds. :hysterical:

Is it due to the balancer you guys think? I got an 08 but it was built before the new ones went on so i have a 07 balancer. You know what i can verify its true. Me and anotherguy came in to the dyno shop on the same day. He had a 2.7 pully i had a 2.6. I had the jlt he had the steeda. I had axlebacks from steeda and he had somethin i think. He got 5-10 more hp and trq than me. He had an 08 like me. Difference was probably the balancer. Hmmmmmmm..........

Is it due to the balancer you guys think? I got an 08 but it was built before the new ones went on so i have a 07 balancer. You know what i can verify its true. Me and anotherguy came in to the dyno shop on the same day. He had a 2.7 pully i had a 2.6. I had the jlt he had the steeda. I had axlebacks from steeda and he had somethin i think. He got 5-10 more hp and trq than me. He had an 08 like me. Difference was probably the balancer. Hmmmmmmm..........

Was the balancer blue or black? :hysterical: seriously I wonder what other little differences might be.

Was the balancer blue or black? :hysterical: seriously I wonder what other little differences might be.

:headscratch:

I am not sure if im gonna do the IW or buy the 08 stocker. I just know that i have a really good tune right now and could get better horses without goin back to VA to the same guy just by switchin to the 08 balancer. Hmmmm. Ill prolly do the stocker. Especially since i like the 2.9 as i dont really wanna go above 700 to the RW without doin the bottom end first. Decisions decisions. I think ford should give the 07 and 08's with the 07 balancer the 08 one as a recal. But then they should do that with the clutch and flywheels too but thats a whole can of worms im not opening here lol....

I dont buy this at all

Post this same question in the modifiation forum and lets see what the experts think like evo and jlt and so on.

If its true, I am ordering the 08 balancer tomorrow

Gotta tell ya the proof is in the numbers man. But ill start a new one in the tech and link it here and see what they think....

I read 'Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' and '5.0 Mustang' magazines- they have come across some '07 and '08 cars with slightly less HP (25+-) than the average 450RWHP. I attribute it to manufacturing tolerances of the engine parts, some may have slightly different measurements which causes differences in engine output overall. The balancer may have some effect as well.

the balancer is the SAME diameter. If you know anything about how crank driven blowers work, there is no way it makes any more power than a stock 07 balancer. I bought one for my 07 simply because it was getting the 2.9L, and Ford Racing etc recommends it if you are upgrading your blower. The only reason to do it IMHO.

There are a few slight differences I'm aware of betw '07 and '08:

'08 crank is from Ford Windsor Engine Plant and bears a different suffix on the factory part number

the crank damper is lighter and is viscous filled (not solid)

there are some minor engineering changes to the S/C case

I've also heard that the calibration is also slightly different to accommodate the lighter damper and it's lower rotational mass.

That said, my understanding is that '07 and '08s both bench at 511bHP +/-3 (approx 442rw/13.5% driveline loss).

However, the '08 damper can make it a tad faster and that would not show in bHP, I think, but could in actual use because bHP is a steady state test using a 'brake' (typically a water brake) to measure steady-state peak 'brake' HP (bHP). Regardless of damper, peak bHP would be the same, but how the engine responds to change (dynamics) would be different since the rotating-assembly on the '08 is lighter and would therefore require less energy to spin-up (dynamics). This might show only slightly in a dyno pull which is typically done in 4th where revs change relative slowly. However, responsiveness in lower gears might be more noticeable with the lighter RA.

Still, the difference would be barely detectible in seat-of-pants testing, imo, so I'm at aloss to say why it would such a noticeable difference.

Are we sure the '08 doesn't have an aftermarket/tweaked calibration?

68 your explanation is where i was gonna go. Less rotating mass. 5 rwhp is not much. But i could see freeing up 10-12 lbs of rotating mass causing a 5-10 hp rw gain. More likely the 5 but still. I mean we ve got numbers here that state the facts. I cant see too much debate about it. It definitly looks like the explanation.

less reciprocating mass, means more power to the ground..I typically see around 15RWHP increase too when switching GT500's to an aluminum 1 piece driveshaft too. If you have both dampners off and compare them in weight, the 07 balancer is around 10-12 lbs heavier than the 08-09 version

Gotta tell ya the proof is in the numbers man. But ill start a new one in the tech and link it here and see what they think....

The HP gains by a lighter damper will be minimal if not notice, since the extra rotating mass is so close to the center, the only reason I went with the 08 is due to a report failure on a engine of EVO's that sheer the key way and damage the crankshaft. Since then I purchase a IW due to the fact that they are SFI certify for NHRA, I went with the 10 over and like the new power curve with the TQ coming in quicker, either one is good and maybe you should short cut the deal and buy a IW, VS buying both like I did, just my three cents worth. Second, something also to check, with the higher boost the motors have a tendency to spin up faster on launch's and from going from dead still to WFO and spinning the drive shaft quick, I have gone though two dampers that sit on the end of the transmission that the DS bolts up to, the outer shell that is mounted to the yoke with a rubber damper has broke loose and the outer weighted shell is allow to spin independent. Haven't notice any bad stuff related to this, except maybe with a stock configuration or even with a one piece DS you may notice more vibrations, mine is so far from stock using no rubber dampers anywhere on the car, a little more shake or noise is just cool. Bill

again...this is not an accessory drive. it is part of the crank system which drives the pulley on the blower. the only way to make signficant power difference would be to change the diameter. the differences between the pulleys are not power related, they are due to reliability and stress.

Thanks.

Archived