TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do most dealers consider 'lightly modded' for clutch TSB?

phdpsy

No symptoms of clutch/tranny issues yet on my 2007, but it may just be a matter of time. What have been your experiences with cars that have been modified when approaching a dealer for the TSB? I'm not expecting them to address a car with a 3.4 and NOS lines everywhere, but has anyone had problems with more than a 2.6, CAI, and exhaust? Just got my TVS on and would hate to have to disassemble everything if problems develped. We have two Ford dealers relatively close...neither of which have ever had a GT500 on the floor. I did not buy the car locally and have never had to take it in, so I don't have a 'relationship' with them. Am I screwed if problems develope? :cry:

You have to build a trust and relationship with your Dealership service department The tech is the front line too call it out for over modification... Most of you guys only show up at a dealer looking for warranty repairs and go elsewhere for for regular maint and repairs.... I have a few good customers who bring in there cars for maint and other work they pay for. In turn, I can warranty items with some mods on the car with no problems, Because I know the car and it's owner and how it is used and maintained..

I understand where you are coming from. I did not even have the choice to buy there. I called and asked about them installing the TVS but they said they had never done one, and had only seen one gt500 for an oil change. He was not exuding confidence so I went to another shop. Won't have that option with the TSB if needed.

Sorry to say but, you have to really look for a good service department anymore.. Believe me I have been a Ford mechanic for 26yrs and I still shake my head in disbelief with some of the people they let work in service departments..... But there are still very good techs out there, you just have to find them...

You have to build a trust and relationship with your Dealership service department The tech is the front line too call it out for over modification... Most of you guys only show up at a dealer looking for warranty repairs and go elsewhere for for regular maint and repairs.... I have a few good customers who bring in there cars for maint and other work they pay for. In turn, I can warranty items with some mods on the car with no problems, Because I know the car and it's owner and how it is used and maintained..

I will not take my Shelby to a local dealer for oil changes because they don't even know what oil to put in. I only take my Lexus to the dealer since they know what they are doing. If Ford would do the same, I would use the dealer. We only show up at a Ford dealer for warranty because they don't use master technicians on Shelbys for regular maintenance issues.

You are absolutely correct. I had the TSB performed with a TVS. I first went to a dealership. The Master Tech looked at all the mods and then sent me packing. I had to find another dealership that trusted me. Eventually did find one. I will be taking my Shelby to him for maintenance going forward. I will also be buying a family car from him in the future. I appreciate what he did for me.

Just got my TVS on and would hate to have to disassemble everything if problems develped.

Is there a Shelby store in LA? If so, ask them where they send their Super Snake converted cars for TSB work.

If that is not an option, I would suggest traveling to Dallas. The local Shelby shop has a very good relationship with Sam Pack Ford in Carrollton. Sam Pack has TSB'ed Quantum's Shelbys without reservation.

My FORD/SVT dealership installs and sells aftermarket parts and since i bought the one there they have no problem doing the TSB. They are aware of the problem and since i paid an ADMIN when i bought the car they dont say a word. I saw a 2.8 KB sitting on the shelf there and asked them if they would have a problem with someone getting warrenty work, they laughed and said if we had a problem with cars being modded then we would not sell this stuff and we want you guys with Shelby's to go kick the crap out of a vette just to let them know they screwed up and should have bought a GT500, PRETTY COOL!!! There are some good dealers out there.

Is there a Shelby store in LA? If so, ask them where they send their Super Snake converted cars for TSB work.

If that is not an option, I would suggest traveling to Dallas. The local Shelby shop has a very good relationship with Sam Pack Ford in Carrollton. Sam Pack has TSB'ed Quantum's Shelbys without reservation.

If I had to do that (Dallas), I could (5 hours away) but then I have no way back to LA and don't know how long it would be to get it done. Since at times it needs to be done more than once to get everything correct (based on many TSB posts from this site) or they need to order parts again....could be without the car for a good while. That would mean an extra trip back and forth. I would hope that I will not have issues, but need a game plan if something comes up. I do appreciate the ideas though!

:headscratch:

No symptoms of clutch/tranny issues yet on my 2007, but it may just be a matter of time. What have been your experiences with cars that have been modified when approaching a dealer for the TSB? I'm not expecting them to address a car with a 3.4 and NOS lines everywhere, but has anyone had problems with more than a 2.6, CAI, and exhaust? Just got my TVS on and would hate to have to disassemble everything if problems develped. We have two Ford dealers relatively close...neither of which have ever had a GT500 on the floor. I did not buy the car locally and have never had to take it in, so I don't have a 'relationship' with them. Am I screwed if problems develope? :cry:
:headscratch: Why do people look at this backward- the tsb is out on the car because it has a deffective flywheel- it needs to be replaced and for d put the tsb out for that reason- the question being how manny delears will do the job if you are not having symptons on your car- the answer is most good dealers will. I had my car done and put the mods on after- will they do it again I doubt it but it is done and the car is modded. I had a copy of the tsb and stated I did not like the way it shifted into second and how grabby the clutch was- they said ok and it was done. Why wait? If the car is modded they have a lot better chance of saying no. If you are not going to mod the car and want to see how long your clutch system will last leave it stock. I use the same dealer for my oil changes and a couple of small issues and so far the mods have not been brought up. We are at the mercy of the court when we mod or cars so when we do it is good to have a tech you know and use-

My car is currently at an Arizona Ford dealership getting the TSB work done, this same dealership has also performed the past oil changes on my car. I explained during my last visit that I had previously grinded 1st to 2nd gear shifts several times and was concerned about the syncros. Without requiring a test drive the Service Advisor said I should think about having the TSB work done, he proceeded to print out the bulletin so I could see whats involved. Needless to say that was two weeks ago and I am driving a "loaner" truck right now while they work on my car :dance:

I am also having them install the KR short throw shifter while the tranny/clutch work is being done.

If I had to do that (Dallas), I could (5 hours away) but then I have no way back to LA and don't know how long it would be to get it done. Since at times it needs to be done more than once to get everything correct (based on many TSB posts from this site) or they need to order parts again....could be without the car for a good while. That would mean an extra trip back and forth. I would hope that I will not have issues, but need a game plan if something comes up. I do appreciate the ideas though!

Don't worry about how to get back to LA. Any dealership worth his salt will give you a loaner car for a couple of weeks. The dealer that did the TSB for gave me a loaner.

Archived