TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Muffler Sound Clip

Since it's done nothing but rain here in So Cal, I went out and got a bit of video of the KR's for those that were asking how they sound.

Nice , The crackling noise might be the moisture coming through the muffler with the exhaust being cool when first started. Do you know if their are small drain holes in the mufflers?

At idle I would say they're close, but definitely not during WOT. I wouldn't say that either are vastly different from one another. I think the difference is in the tone, which I said before. For sure, these are "deeper" than the stock. I'm not heartbroken over it though.

At idle I would say they're close, but definitely not during WOT. I wouldn't say that either are vastly different from one another. I think the difference is in the tone, which I said before. For sure, these are "deeper" than the stock. I'm not heartbroken over it though.

I think it sounds great. Thanks for posting. Craig :shift:

I did find that the stock setup did "open up" a bit at around 7K miles.

Those sound very nice.

What is the physics that accounts for a muffler "opening up" or changing sound after use?

How long, in miles, is the usual break-in period?

If the GTAs were run for a couple thousand miles on a V6 before they became GT mufflers, will they sound different from the way they would if they had been native to a V8?

Those sound very nice.

What is the physics that accounts for a muffler "opening up" or changing sound after use?

How long, in miles, is the usual break-in period?

If the GTAs were run for a couple thousand miles on a V6 before they became GT mufflers, will they sound different from the way they would if they had been native to a V8?

You know, honestly, I don't know what "physics" are around the mufflers opening up. Although, in my humble opinion I would venture a guess that it's got to do with carbon build up before the muffler and in the muffler that adds to that. That would be my best guess. I took a drive down highway 40 here to the River and blasted through long stretches at a high rate of speed and after that trip is when I noticed my stock mufflers sounding a bit different. My best guess is carbon build up and the constant heating up of the inside probably changes some dynamic of the structure.

Finding the "right" sound for these cars are tricky I must say. I suspect (and have seen on other posts here) where literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars have been spent on swapping out different cats/cross overs, tubing, mufflers, etc. I personally believe it's all in the eye or in this case the ear of the beholder of what the sound differences are..... I'm practically deaf so who knows...

Let us know after driving with them for awhile if you experience any drone. Thanks BTW, there not as pretty as the OEM GTA's are they?

I have the KR mufflers on my GT500 - they do not drone and the tips look better in person than in pictures and videos. If you clean off the residue on the muffler body ends with a little metal polish, they look even better.

That's almost better than the girls and Mustang thread.........................almost!

I wish now that I could hear these KR mufflers in person next to the 5GT (Borla Stingers) for comparison.

This helps a great deal though. I can tell they are louder and 'rumble' a lot more than the stock ford racing SGT exahust does.

I think what is meant by 'open up' here is that after about 7,000 miles or so - the exhaust has had some time to be broke in and it gets louder. I have noticed this 'louder' but it's not loud enough. Even though the stock SGT exhaust is louder than the stock MGT, it still sounds muffled at the track - even at wide open throttle. Need to open that up - a lot - in my opinion.

I'm interested to hear more from owners of the KR's on their cars! Thanks for the clip!

Trevor

Archived