TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Life after clutch TSB

thewheelman

I got my car back from the dealer for repair of the clutch/transmission tsb just hours before a crippling ice storm hit our neck of the woods. Driving it most days was not an option, when the roads cleared the temps dropped into the teens again at night and I couldn't tell if the tires were not gripping, I was experiencing wheel hop, the traction control was coming on, or the clutch was still shuddering. Shifting through the gears is great...synchros are fine now...but there's still a (more subtle) shudder that's actually happening more often than the more severe one before. Unless I launch the car like every stop is a drag race, I get clutch shudder......is this typical with this car? I have no base of reference..... I was actually expecting the repair to make the clutch smooth and easy to operate. That's not the case. Besides, I can barely get it in reverse, now. I've already told the dealer about the reverse problem and will be taking it back next week, but what about the shudder? Am I expecting too much for it to engage smoothly and gradually--like my son's PT Cruiser or my 5 speed Ranger used to do?

Am I expecting too much for it to engage smoothly and gradually--like my son's PT Cruiser or my 5 speed Ranger used to do?

The type of clutch Ford put on this car will never engage as smooth as most other clutches. The shuddering should improve after a few hundred miles. However, you should not have problems getting into reverse.

Our weather was clear and sunny out today. I had my car out for a 41 mile spin.

This new TSB work was completed 580 miles ago:

1 New factory fresh transmission out of the crate and 1 revised 4100 series steel flywheel and 1 new nickle hub clutch and 1 pilot bearing and 1 Concentric Slave Cylinder. The CSC is what we used to call a 'Throw out bearing".

Anyways....the car takes off very easy from a stand still. I don't have to rev the engine high to make it smooth. In fact I was at a ramp signal today that took 7 minutes to get onto the freeway today and it was a piece of cake using the clutch. I was able to baby the RPM's and let the clutch out in stop and go traffic. I would have to say that my mother could drive this car. The clutch is very easy to operate and there is no grinding of the gears whatsoever.

I feel horrible that you are having a tough time with your TSB repair. Take it back to the dealer and see if they have a 2009 on there showroom floor that was built after 8/19/08 because that's the date that the car has all the correct parts in it to make it operate smooth.

Have them drive that car.....and then yours. Then they, and you will see what I mean when I say that "my mother could drive this car".

Grabber's right.

I had the same thing done to mine and other that when it's very cold it's a little stiff to get into reverse, it should be smooth.

I can slowly release the clutch with NO gas and the car rolls smoothly and traffic is much better now.

Our weather was clear and sunny out today. I had my car out for a 41 mile spin.

This new TSB work was completed 580 miles ago:

1 New factory fresh transmission out of the crate and 1 revised 4100 series steel flywheel and 1 new nickle hub clutch and 1 pilot bearing and 1 Concentric Slave Cylinder. The CSC is what we used to call a 'Throw out bearing".

Anyways....the car takes off very easy from a stand still. I don't have to rev the engine high to make it smooth. In fact I was at a ramp signal today that took 7 minutes to get onto the freeway today and it was a piece of cake using the clutch. I was able to baby the RPM's and let the clutch out in stop and go traffic. I would have to say that my mother could drive this car. The clutch is very easy to operate and there is no grinding of the gears whatsoever.

I feel horrible that you are having a tough time with your TSB repair. Take it back to the dealer and see if they have a 2009 on there showroom floor that was built after 8/19/08 because that's the date that the car has all the correct parts in it to make it operate smooth.

Have them drive that car.....and then yours. Then they, and you will see what I mean when I say that "my mother could drive this car".

hey grabber,

i just put my car on a lift yesterday and discovered i have the old flywheel, despite a manufacture date of 08/08. how did you manage to get an all new transmission, flywheel, etc...instead of just a new flywheel? i'm going to have to contact my dealer this week and just want to know what to ask for or what i should be able to get. any help is appreciated. thanks

hey grabber,

i just put my car on a lift yesterday and discovered i have the old flywheel, despite a manufacture date of 08/08. how did you manage to get an all new transmission, flywheel, etc...instead of just a new flywheel? i'm going to have to contact my dealer this week and just want to know what to ask for or what i should be able to get. any help is appreciated. thanks

All cars produced prior to 8/19/08 have the old flywheel so that's why yours is the old one.

The only way I got a new Tranny was because at that time they did not have the TSB parts available. Now the rebuild kits are the way they do the TSB corrections.

I have seen a few guys get the new tranny after the dealer botched the tranny rebuild, but the new trannys are costing Ford a bunch of money, so they went with the rebuild kit. I know that is not what you wanted me to say...but it is what it is.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts014.jpg

All cars produced prior to 8/19/08 have the old flywheel so that's why yours is the old one.

The only way I got a new Tranny was because at that time they did not have the TSB parts available. Now the rebuild kits are the way they do the TSB corrections.

I have seen a few guys get the new tranny after the dealer botched the tranny rebuild, but the new trannys are costing Ford a bunch of money, so they went with the rebuild kit. I know that is not what you wanted me to say...but it is what it is.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts015.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts014.jpg

anybody know if i should wait for the flywheel to start to mess up or just go ahead and have it fixed? seems to shift fine thur far with about 1000 miles on the car. i've done a couple mods thus far (cai, 3" magna flo exhaust, tune...501rwhp) and am considering (now that i have the bug) to get autograf's 675 bhp package. i probably just answered my own question now that i think about it. my dealer warranted the work done by autograf as a "gt550" package. but, if i do additional things, the factory warranty may not apply.

anybody know if i should wait for the flywheel to start to mess up or just go ahead and have it fixed? seems to shift fine thur far with about 1000 miles on the car. i've done a couple mods thus far (cai, 3" magna flo exhaust, tune...501rwhp) and am considering (now that i have the bug) to get autograf's 675 bhp package. i probably just answered my own question now that i think about it. my dealer warranted the work done by autograf as a "gt550" package. but, if i do additional things, the factory warranty may not apply.

just talked to the dealership. gentleman in service said it would be no problem to get the flywheel changed out...lone star ford in houston. very nice guy. i did mention that other folks had had issues with other dealerships getting this work done. he said the dealership did make a difference. nice guy...said bring it in this week for work.

just talked to the dealership. gentleman in service said it would be no problem to get the flywheel changed out...lone star ford in houston. very nice guy. i did mention that other folks had had issues with other dealerships getting this work done. he said the dealership did make a difference. nice guy...said bring it in this week for work.
What's your build date ?

1ZVHT88S195127108

Little Birdie looked up your build date.

BUILD DATE:

08/12/2008

Unfortunately another member that has this same build date has reported out that he has verified that he has the old nodular iron flywheel in his car. If your dealer is willing to replace the flywheel in your car....do it. Make sure he understands that he has to do a clutch at the same time so both surfaces are brand new that touch each other. He also needs to put in a new pilot bearing. If your tranny is not showing any notchy or bumpy shifts then these 3 parts are all that I would have them install in your car.

Please read the first post in the thread attached so you can see why I say you have the old flywheel in your car. Look at the bottom of the first post so you can see the dates on what we have found in regards to the date that the new flywheel started going into the 2009 GT500.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=559998

I have 11,000 miles since the TSB. The first 1k miles the clutch was really light but then gradually got harder and now it feels as it did when i first bought the car. The shuddering is more noticable now when i take off from a stop but i just have to raise the take off RPMs alittle and that takes care of it. But no problems so far.

I have 11,000 miles since the TSB. The first 1k miles the clutch was really light but then gradually got harder and now it feels as it did when i first bought the car. The shuddering is more noticable now when i take off from a stop but i just have to raise the take off RPMs alittle and that takes care of it. But no problems so far.

Hows the shifting between gears ?

Little Birdie looked up your build date.

BUILD DATE:

08/12/2008

Unfortunately another member that has this same build date has reported out that he has verified that he has the old nodular iron flywheel in his car. If your dealer is willing to replace the flywheel in your car....do it. Make sure he understands that he has to do a clutch at the same time so both surfaces are brand new that touch each other. He also needs to put in a new pilot bearing. If your tranny is not showing any notchy or bumpy shifts then these 3 parts are all that I would have them install in your car.

Please read the first post in the thread attached so you can see why I say you have the old flywheel in your car. Look at the bottom of the first post so you can see the dates on what we have found in regards to the date that the new flywheel started going into the 2009 GT500.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=559998

august 12, 2008? are you kidding? that is my birthday! too cool...we must be meant to be together. thanks for the info!

Hows the shifting between gears ?

It feels pretty good. I had the dealer install the KR shifter and it feels alot better than stock. But i dont seem to have any problems with shifting as the gears dont grind or get stuck.. pretty smooth shifting.

is there any way for me to get a copy of the "documented" build date? that would be very cool to have since it is on by b-day.

PM me your e-mail addy with your VIN again. I will see what little birdie can do for you. It might require some featherlax. :hysterical:

I thought I read in another thread that there weren't any problems with the trans, just the clutch components. Now I read thats there is some sort of rebuild kit for the trans? What does that replace?

The reason there is a trans kit is because when the flywheel warps and starts to take out the clutch....it damages and wears out certain parts of the transmission.

The tranny parts consist of all the syncros and the input shaft and the seals.

The reason there is a trans kit is because when the flywheel warps and starts to take out the clutch....it damages and wears out certain parts of the transmission.

gotcha, you think Ford would do the tsb even before I start to see major issue's, kinda like a preventative thing?

So if you one can find a dealer to do the flywheel/clutch TSB before any serious problems surface, we should be good to go? I'd rather not have my tranny taken apart if it shifts fine.

All I've noticed with my '07 is that I have the hissing from pushing in/out the clutch and the faint sound of what can best be described as the sound a roulette ball makes while spinning around the wheel. Hard to hear, but it does go away if I push the clutch in. I'm thinking (hoping?) this is a normal throw out bearing noise, but I've only had the car a short time...

So if you one can find a dealer to do the flywheel/clutch TSB before any serious problems surface, we should be good to go? I'd rather not have my tranny taken apart if it shifts fine.

All I've noticed with my '07 is that I have the hissing from pushing in/out the clutch and the faint sound of what can best be described as the sound a roulette ball makes while spinning around the wheel. Hard to hear, but it does go away if I push the clutch in. I'm thinking (hoping?) this is a normal throw out bearing noise, but I've only had the car a short time...

If your dealer will do the clutch and flywheel....go for it.

The gear roll over noise is normal per your manual.

Archived