TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Window Tinting question

Afterburner

Looking to get the windows tinted in the spring and just wondering if there are any specific things to look for in a tint shop in terms of what type of film they use or how they do the application. I've never had any of my vehicles tinted and I just want to try to get it done right the first time. Thanks.

Looking to get the windows tinted in the spring and just wondering if there are any specific things to look for in a tint shop in terms of what type of film they use or how they do the application. I've never had any of my vehicles tinted and I just want to try to get it done right the first time. Thanks.

Yes, look for a guy not working out of a beat down 1989 Ford Ranger :hysterical:

I just had my wifes MB, and sons car done, I'll be doing my GT500 next week with him. I don't know much about the films themselves, but I chose a guy that has a shop, licensed, and had been there (in business)for some time...that usually says a lot, at least to me anyways..

Even they clean the windows, I made sure I did it myself at home prior to taking car over, can't be too clean..

Also, depending on where you live, (we're in California) and vehicle code states no tint on forward side windows (driver & passenger). He had 5 degrees of tint, 1 being the lightest, with 5 being limo black, I went with #2 on the two forward side windows, #3 on the back doors and rear. I wanted tasteful, and not pimped out...

Post application maintanence, do not roll windows down for 5 days, and NO ammonia based window cleaners, like Windex.

I took mine to Ziebart and they did a great job. I've used them for many vehicles and never had any issues.

JThey'll let you know what the legal limit (As far as % tint) is as well.

Might want to check with Ford dealer also, they have local companies do tinting for them and might be able to recommend a local shop. That is what I did when I had my windows tinted.

Which year cars do not have the felt in the window channel?

If you do not have the felt you'll need a product like this to keep the tint from scratching. MoleSkin Link

+1

I did not see the posts about that until after and our 07 tinted windows haves scratches now. Definitely go to a professional shop which uses quality lifetime warranted film. After the done check the rear window around the edges. Shops that do a poor job will have air bubbles on the outside.

Go to local car shows and cruise-ins and talk to the ones that already have their cars tinted.

Also make sure who ever you decide to have do the work is going to do your rear window in one piece. Most shops around here do it one piece but years ago it couldnt be done without doing it in sections. You will be much happier with the finished product, I know you would think it is common place to do it in one piece but make sure that is what they are going to do.

I had heard the 2008 Mustangs have felt on the inside weather strips (unlike the 2007s) so I purchased one for the passenger's side window and confirmed it was covered with a fine black felt. The part number is 8R3Z-6321456-A. When I was in the process of replacing the strip, I discovered the strip on my 2007 (built 6/20/2007) already had felt applied to it; however, the coverage just didn't make it to the edges of the strip. After comparing the new one with the old, I decided to replace it anyways since the felt coverage on the new one was much better all the way out to the edges. Plus it seemed like the felt was a finer quality than what was applied to the old strip, which is essentially the moleskin product. I had the window tint installed by the dealer prior to taking delivery so I believe the moleskin was applied by the dealer while installing the tint since it wasn't applied very well; the coverage was not as good as the 2008 OEM strip and some of the edges of the moleskin was lifting from the adhesive. The 2008 OEM strips are a very nice quality with the felt applied such that it completely covers the side that makes contact with the glass.

Each strip costs $33.89 from my Ford dealer, but I think they're worth it. I was already developing streaks and smudges on my tint even with the felt due to the adhesive used. The OEM strip does a better job at preventing this. Here are the part numbers:

Passenger's Side: 8R3Z-6321456-A

Driver's Side: 8R3Z-6321457-A

Thanks for the advice guys. I have an 08 so I guess I shouldn't have a problem with scratching.

Afterburner, I am in the tinting business ( stopped doing cars a few years ago ) just doing commercial and residential work only.

Anyway, the best films out are non-reflective products that are not dyed. Dyed products tend to fade and turn purple.

Try finding a LLumar or Formula One dealer. The Formula One dealers tend to be high quality shops.

Also LLumar has a product called Axesis. I think thats how its spelled. This is what is called a signal enabling film. They made it for those luxury cars with the sensors in the rear glass, but it looks great on all vehicles. Its a little expensive, but you are going to have to spend some money for this anyway. And make sure they check the gaskets for the felt!!

And absolutely do not buy the $99.00 special. You get what you pay for in this industry.

well i got my car tinted in a very reputable shop in HoCo MD and i kno that they used globe film on my car...where in va are u?

I'm right outside of Richmond. There are plenty of shops here and now with all the good advice I've gotten here, I can start looking around and asking questions.

Which year cars do not have the felt in the window channel?

If you do not have the felt you'll need a product like this to keep the tint from scratching. MoleSkin Link

I know that my 07 needed two strips of felt on it before they finally did it right. w/o the felt, the scratches on the inside of the tint will drive you crazy.

I had my passenger window done 4 times before it was done right.

Good dealerships will take care of you. Thanks West-way Ford, Irving TX

Archived