TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Suspension vs. all others

Hey all,

I own an 06 Mustang GT that I am presently modifying with all sorts of Shelby bits. Quick question for all of you with experience in Shelby GT-land: What are the thoughts on the FRPP suspension setup in your cars? I love the idea of a well-engineered kit with a Ford Racing warranty, but I'd be open to suggestions if there are better things out there. I drive the car every day and track it at open track events a few times per year. Is the FRPP kit too stiff? Is there enough body control? How is ride quality on normal roads? FYI: The car is riding on GT500 wheels and tires.

Many thanks,

Blaise

Hey all,

I own an 06 Mustang GT that I am presently modifying with all sorts of Shelby bits. Quick question for all of you with experience in Shelby GT-land: What are the thoughts on the FRPP suspension setup in your cars? I love the idea of a well-engineered kit with a Ford Racing warranty, but I'd be open to suggestions if there are better things out there. I drive the car every day and track it at open track events a few times per year. Is the FRPP kit too stiff? Is there enough body control? How is ride quality on normal roads? FYI: The car is riding on GT500 wheels and tires.

Many thanks,

Blaise

In my opinion the springs are ok. It gives it the correct ride height. It can be a little bouncy at 40-50mph on some bumps. At higher speeds they're ok and I think a good set of C/A's could address that. I would switch to the Tokico D-Spec adjustables for sure. I may eventually put a set in.

Blaise,

Is the FRPP kit too stiff?

Not at all, but just my opinion

Is there enough body control?

No track experience here, but on highways or our plentiful good country roads it just hugs the road

How is ride quality on normal roads?

Great!

The car is riding on GT500 wheels and tires.

You should check with Jim Clark (Clark17357), as Jim has these wheels & tires on his SGT/SC

Best of Luck with your upgrades !

Lg

Its a stiff, race-car-like ride, but that's exactly what I like. Personal preferences may vary greatly. I've autocrossed the car a couple of times and the handling is great on those courses; how it performs I high speeds on a race track I couldn't say, but my gut tells me that it would do very well.

:shift:

Hey all,

Many thanks,

Blaise

The Shelby GT FRPP kit is a nice trade-off between performance and comfort. On a rough road you'll feel the harshness, but mostly it's nearly perfect. I completed a 6,000 mile road trip from Florida to Oklahoma in my Shelby GT, all on back roads, and had a blast with no dis-comfort. Even my wife didn't complain about the ride. You will need to be careful when parking to avoid damaging the front valance on the parking bollards, (the ride height is reduced with the FRPP kit), and that's about the only concern. Enjoy.

if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, I say you cant beat the suspension the SGT has. You can really beat on it hard and it will do just fine, I have experienced this first hand, push it hard and it will push back just as hard, I promise.

Chris

I've driven my car on all kinds of road surfaces and especially out here in West Texas where they just love to patch the roads, you will feel every little crack that has been patched especially at city speeds...out on the highway, the car is a dream and handles like a cutting horse. I have never driven a car that handled this well before. I'm 51, so the suspension is stiff to me..it is NOT a luxury car ride where you float over road inconsistencies at all...you will feel every little bump in the road, but that is not always a bad thing either. As you can see by my signature pic below, I'm also running the GT500 wheels and tires, so I have some experience with the setup you're talking about. I have noticed that when I pull up to stop lights and there are iregularities in the road, you will also feel them in the front end when stopping, but that's because of the wider wheels and tires in the front. Just be aware of these things, and you should be OK. Go for it, I think you'll enjoy it!

I've heard great things about the Griggs products, but the problem is that they cost nearly three times more than an FRPP kit, and that is before installation. Just trying to balance cost vs. reward. Thanks for the tip!

Guys there is only one answer. GRIGGS!!!!

Check this out.

http://www.grigg ing.com/product_info.p...products_id=603

You cannot go wrong with Griggs. Not to mention a lifetime warranty on all parts.

Call Griggs and ask for Colin.

IMO -

FRPP "K" springs (same as handling pack), Tokico D Specs, adjustable UCA, billet LCAs, LCA relocation brackets and a Fay's 2 Watt's link. Total cost = $1700 plus labor.

Gives you looks, compliant ride and exceptional handling.

I have had 3 other suspensions on my 2006 GT and this set up is by far the best.

Has anyone tried the Eibach coilover kits sold by Shelby Performance Parts? I see that they sell three levels -- Pro Street S, R1 and R2.

IMO -

FRPP "K" springs (same as handling pack), Tokico D Specs, adjustable UCA, billet LCAs, LCA relocation brackets and a Fay's 2 Watt's link. Total cost = $1700 plus labor.

I have had 3 other suspensions on my 2006 GT and this set up is by far the best.

if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, I say you cant beat the suspension the SGT has. You can really beat on it hard and it will do just fine, I have experienced this first hand, push it hard and it will push back just as hard, I promise.

Chris

And Chris should know. At CS86, he had one of the instructors take him out on the race course with Chris in the passenger seat. I watched and the instructor drove Chris' car HARD. As Chris wrote, the suspension was supurb. Last year, before my SGT was made a SGT/SC, I had an instructor drive me in my car on the smaller, tighter, road coarse and felt the suspension was up to the task.

Jim

IMO -

Is the Watts linkage used with anti-roll bars?

I've pushed the car to the limit on short and long courses and would not want any other setup on my SGT. Very predictable, very tight and will alow you to run with big boys. Best all around for look, street, and aggressive trac. Save $ for the brakes and SC.

Mike SGT#182

Blaise,

I can tell you that you in this category you get what you pay for, its just that simple. We have removed countless aftermarket suspension components from customers cars and I mean countless. I've seen so many people get product after product after product and still end up unhappy with their car.

There are several misconceptions when it comes to aftermarket suspension components for your car.

First. You do not need a Watts Link for the street, no matter who makes it. Its just not necessary and its benefits will not be felt in normal or aggressive street driving. We make arguably the best Watts Link available and I don't recommend you use one for just street driving. An adjustable Panhard bar with a heim joint on at least one end is more than sufficient to do the job and wili save you money. Anyone who says differently is just trying to sell you something.

Second. The suspension geometry on the S197 Mustang is flawed, especially the rear. This use of a upper control arm or UCA causes excessive torsional movement in the rear end. Aftermarket UCAs do fix the wheel hop issue by removing bushing deflection but the torsion or twist as the rear end moves in bump travel is still present. If you do change the lower control arms get arms that have a heim joint on at least one end. Also relocate the arms to have a lower pickup point with brackets.

Third. Your car does not need ANYTHING to "stiffen" it. The S197 platform is probably the stiffest unibody vehicle Ford has ever built. The only thing aftermarket "subframe connectors" do is add weight to your vehicle and make your wallet lighter.

Fourth. The only way to make the Mustang handle better without fixing the suspension geometry is to increase the spring, dampening and sway bar rates. Shelby, Ford Racing and several other have kits for this. Obviously these kits sacrifice ride quality for their gain in performance.

I was a customer of Griggs Racing long before I starting working here. I've been playing with Mustangs for 17 years from 65 to current. I've been down the road you going. And yes the parts are up there in price. But all of our parts are made in the U.S.A. something allot of aftermarket suppliers can't say. Also like Van stated, everything we make is warrantied for life. And keep in mind you do not have to buy everything at once, things can be done in pieces.

Truthfully your car stock is one of the better setups using the factory geometry and any modifications you do to your car would be best planned out after thinking about what your goals are with the car.

Simply put there's a lot of junk out there, just be careful.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

I've tracked my SGT a few times since buying it a few months back and what comes on this car is not suitable for regular racing.

For a street only car, I think what we have is superb. If you plan on tracking this car at all, I'd seriously consider a setup other than the FRPP suspension kit that's built into the SGT. Just my .02.

Ken

p.s. I'll call you tomorrow Colin. I didn't get your message till late!

Archived