TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Track Day Brake Pad Recommendations

It's possible that I might do a "Track Day" sometime this year. For those who have done so, what brake pads would you recommend for this purpose? Specifically, I was wondering whether or not the Hawk HPS would suffice, or must I go with the Hawk HP Plus?....or other? I have already ordered upgraded rotors. Thanks!

edit - I can get 15% off of these EBC pads, but I have not heard of them before...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...35DP41740R.html

Might be worth PM'ing Page (page @ stillen, I believe) ...he's supplied a lot folks on this and other sites and prolly has some good insight on whether pads alone (and which) might hold up on the S/GT/Hs.

I also noticed that on the '10 GTs Ford went with an upgraded pad compound from the factory.

I got the hawks Hp pads they took awhile to break in in. they do make noise and they are as dusty or more than the factory set. they do stop the car good.

It's possible that I might do a "Track Day" sometime this year. For those who have done so, what brake pads would you recommend for this purpose? Specifically, I was wondering whether or not the Hawk HPS would suffice, or must I go with the Hawk HP Plus?....or other? I have already ordered upgraded rotors. Thanks!

edit - I can get 15% off of these EBC pads, but I have not heard of them before...

You might want to check the Road Race section but, what tracks you looking at?

Might be worth PM'ing Page (page @ stillen, I believe) ...he's supplied a lot folks on this and other sites and prolly has some good insight on whether pads alone (and which) might hold up on the S/GT/Hs.

I also noticed that on the '10 GTs Ford went with an upgraded pad compound from the factory.

Hey there,

Unfortunately, I (Page) no longer work at Stillen. I started my own business (a Farmers Insurance Agency). The person who is taking over (at least for a while) the American Performance sales at Stillen is Kyle Millen. You can reach him at 866-250-5542 - x173. I just checked the Stillen profile, and it hasnt been logged onto since the day I left there.

Hope that helps some

Page

I am not happy with the Hawk HP pads. I was much happier with the Baer pads that came in my Shelby GT Plus brake package. From a 120+ mph straight to a 40ish mph 90 degree turn, I found myself having to brake about 100' sooner with the Hawk Pads. I will be going back to the Baers or something other then the Hawk HP pads.

Hey there,

Unfortunately, I (Page) no longer work at Stillen. I started my own business (a Farmers Insurance Agency). The person who is taking over (at least for a while) the American Performance sales at Stillen is Kyle Millen. You can reach him at 866-250-5542 - x173. I just checked the Stillen profile, and it hasnt been logged onto since the day I left there.

Hope that helps some

Page

Thanks, Page ...good luck on your new endeavor!

[so, it's Millen @ Stillen now ;)]

You might want to check the Road Race section but, what tracks you looking at?

I may be going down to one of the Summit Point, WV tracks; nothing definite at this time, though.

This depends on how hard you end up running your car and how deep you get in the corners before digging in the brakes.

I have used only Porterfields and w/ awesome results. I can go for a 3 day event, drive hard and still have almost 1/2 my pads left.

Ask Mastersmech1 what he has used over the last couple times, he has the same car you do, and drives it pretty hard.

There are almost as many theories and recommended practices with regard to bedding-in brakes and "seasoning" discs as there are manufacturers of these components. Google reports about 636,000 hits for "bedding-in brakes".

How much influence, and what kind of effects are there, from bedding-in?

Can lack of, or "improper", bedding-in be responsible for the kind of difference in braking described by Shelby Pilot, above? Is tecnology at a point where bedding-in is not required?

Some recommended procedures are pretty involved; can anyone say whether or not they are worth the effort?

In the 1960s-1970s I used to follow a prescription by a racer-mechanic who drove and built national championship SCCA racing cars (it's almost step-by-step the same as set out by a current pad manufacturer) :

First session;

Ten no-delay 60 mph to 15 mph 3/4 strength slow-downs followed by a five-minute no-brake cruise for cooling; three such episodes, then a 24-hour ambient soak.

Second session, 24 hours later:

Same as the first, but increase braking strength to 85-90%, ten-minute cooling cruises.

Third (and final, thanks be) session, 24 hours later:

Same, but 99.99% braking strength, 15-minute cooling cruises.

This, it is supposed, boils out all the resins that have been part of the pad's composition, eliminating the lubrication effect they had, matches the pad surface to the seasoned rotors, and teaches the braker what real braking feels like.

I followed that plan when I put GT brakes with new pads on my V6 mustang. "It works great!" would be my testimony. Braking effectiveness was outstanding, performance limited by tires and fluid boiling point (and the operator's skill), I think.

Any others have experience, conjecture, opinion on bedding-in?

There are almost as many theories and recommended practices with regard to bedding-in brakes and "seasoning" discs as there are manufacturers of these components. Goggle reports about 636,000 hits for "bedding-in brakes".

How much influence, and what kind of effects are there, from bedding-in?

Can lack of, or "improper", bedding-in be responsible for the kind of difference in braking described by Shelby Pilot, above? Is tecnology at a point where bedding-in is not required?

Some recommended procedures are pretty involved; can anyone say whether or not they are worth the effort?

In the 1960s-1970s I used to follow a prescription by a racer-mechanic who drove and built national championship SCCA racing cars (it's almost step-by-step the same as set out by a current pad manufacturer) :

First session;

Ten no-delay 60 mph to 15 mph 3/4 strength slow-downs followed by a five-minute no-brake cruise for cooling; three such episodes, then a 24-hour ambient soak.

Second session, 24 hours later:

Same as the first, but increase braking strength to 85-90%, ten-minute cooling cruises.

Third (and final, thanks be) session, 24 hours later:

Same, but 99.99% braking strength, 15-minute cooling cruises.

This, it is supposed, boils out all the resins that have been part of the pad's composition, eliminating the lubrication effect they had, matches the pad surface to the seasoned rotors, and teaches the braker what real braking feels like.

I followed that plan when I put GT brakes with new pads on my V6 mustang. "It works great!" would be my testimony. Braking effectiveness was outstanding, performance limited by tires and fluid boiling point (and the operator's skill), I think.

Any others have experience, conjecture, opinion on bedding-in?

Well, since I no longer work for Stillen, I don't have access to the document on pad bedding, but it is an important step when adding new pads/rotors. Long story short, the resins in the pads build up a very thin glaze layer that actually helps the pads work better.

I didn't realize EBC built a pad for our cars, till seeing this post.

I use EBC's yellowstuff pad on my wife's Corolla (I know, I know) and I've never been disappointed.

It's actually a heck of a little track car (post suspension mods) but the stock brakes were getting awfully sloppy at the few track events I took it to.

I found the EBC pads on Summit and gave them a try and they made all the difference in the world with a lot less brake dust than the Toyota OEM pads.

I hope they work as well for the Mustang!

Ken

Archived