TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Cobra Trip Report

twobjshelbys

TS was off the air when I wrote this, so I'm posting this belatedly (with minor edits from cross posts.)

I took Mr CSX4005LA for my first spin last Friday. Co-pilot asked if she could go along and I told her I think I needed to figure this car out before I have any passengers.

(Keeping this G-rated) ll I can say is: Holy Oleo Batman!

I haven't had so much fun since

a: since my first night in a bar

b: since I got my first car

c: since my wedding night

Let me tell you, this is a scary car.

The engine has been pretty much abused. My best friend and mechanic are going to take it for a spin tomorrow. We think all it needs to do is wrap it up. I'm hoping.

But it is as I remember it:

a. It won't go 25MPH (the speed limit) in 2nd. All my other cars are happy at this. It runs rough and bogs down. Needs about 1500RPM to be happy.

b. The speedometer is off by about 5-8MPH. Gotta get the right gears. This will be a task to figure out the Tremec/speedo connections and get the right ratios.

c. Everyone kept asking me if I was a Packers fan. No.

d. Numbers became important. Thinking of 7 (Earnhardt, Elway). 4 - Favre's number (it is Packer colors, although I'm not a real Packers fan) 52 (I was born in 1952). There are some classic Cobra numbers but I've been told that some of them are to be avoided by us mere mortals. Open to suggestions.

In the dark the light on the ovals was cool! The best photo op will be in the sunset with the lights on. Later.

Oh, did I say I was jazzed?

For the record, Cosby was right.

It is stinky. Runs rich and smells like burnt oil (that might be because it was only driven 300 miles for real and the last were "old lady" miles).

Fortunately the previous owner put a baffle on the side pipes. It will be hard to get "snake bit" but even they have some discoloration due to the temps.

It runs rough at low speeds. It's a monster engine.

It won't go slow. I think at 3000 RPM in 5th it would be going 90. I can't even image what it would be at the redline.

It is a "Man's Car". The cluth will kill you. Maybe it'll loosen up after a few thousand miles. No power steering or power brakes, yet it is very manageable given the light weight. It reminds me of my folks Dodge Dart for no power and weight. It's easy to turn when it moves, but getting out of the tight parking spot tonight was a treat (not).

Did I say I'm jazzed? (maybe my new sig)

As far as running rough, etc.

I think it is that the car has not been abused but not used. It needs to get broken in, rings sealed and tightened up. The oil is somewhat dirty which would reinforce this theory. It (and all the rest of the fluids) will be changed soon. The Roush guy said to use straight 10-30 for the first 3000 miles then a synthetic is OK. It will probably take a while to finish this process although we might just do a couple of weekend drives to Colorado Springs to help.

From the exhaust smell - some oily smell - it is also running rich, but that may just be the nature of the beast.

This is not a collectible. There aren't that many of them yes, but they are still making them so it's not like it's rare. I intend to use it, weather permitting. It's not a daily driver though - the clutch is stiff and no power brakes or steering also mean it's not a "city" car. Weekend rides in the mountains. I expect I'm going to spend alot of time listening to the reverbs off the walls in Big Thompson Canyon. A recording of that would be in order too.

After I looked at the engine on Saturday afternoon I definitely could see some oil on the valve covers. It's coming back from the filters on the top.

This will all tighten up but I'm sure it'll not be as tight and clean as the SGT "consumer engine". That's OK, I'm prepared.

Welcome to Cobra ownership. It is like no other car.

You need to get all the engine specs before you make any diagnosis. Depending on the cam a stock stroke 427 can feel a bit sluggish at low RPM then come in strong and hard at RPM (like a kick in the A$$)and run rough and rich. Remember Ford's 427 FE was really an all out race engine.

Make sure you are pointed straight before you get into it and do not shift into the next gear if you are still spinning tires, especially when fish tailing.

Welcome to Cobra ownership. It is like no other car.

You need to get all the engine specs before you make any diagnosis. Depending on the cam a stock stroke 427 can feel a bit sluggish at low RPM then come in strong and hard at RPM (like a kick in the A$$)and run rough and rich. Remember Ford's 427 FE was really an all out race engine.

Make sure you are pointed straight before you get into it and do not shift into the next gear if you are still spinning tires, especially when fish tailing.

+1, respect the power these cars have. I put 900 miles on my this past summer and I'm still learning the in's and out's of these Cobra's.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are having fun. I asked this question in a different post but I guess you didn't see it: Have you gone to your local DMV yet? It is my understanding that LA cars were not supposed to be registered in the US. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are having fun. I asked this question in a different post but I guess you didn't see it: Have you gone to your local DMV yet? It is my understanding that LA cars were not supposed to be registered in the US. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Mines taged and titled as a 1965 Shelby Cobra :happy feet: . No need for inspections or eminssion testing either.

Mines taged and titled as a 1965 Shelby Cobra :happy feet: . No need for inspections or eminssion testing either.

Here in California, I have to go through a stupid process and they limit the number of cars to 500 per year. By the end of business on January 2nd (closed on the 1st), all the numbers are gone. I asked this question of twobjshelbys because I was told that on the MSO it states that LA cars are not to be registered in the US. Now, if he has a bill of sale perhaps he could use that. I am just curious. I hope he doesn't have any problems.

I got the California title from the dealer the other day. It's a 65... I'll probably not take it to get registered until the temp expires. I'll have to pay almost 9% sales tax (People's Republic of Boulder County) plus license fees (I will do it as a 65 on a collector plate) but I'm going to send the paperwork to order my custom plate tomorrow, and they take about 8 weeks. The temp is 12 so the plate should be in before the temp expires (or close to it so I can get another 30-day temp Colo paper).

I got the California title from the dealer the other day. It's a 65... I'll probably not take it to get registered until the temp expires. I'll have to pay almost 9% sales tax (People's Republic of Boulder County) plus license fees (I will do it as a 65 on a collector plate) but I'm going to send the paperwork to order my custom plate tomorrow, and they take about 8 weeks. The temp is 12 so the plate should be in before the temp expires (or close to it so I can get another 30-day temp Colo paper).

I am glad the car has been titled before. It should be easy for you to get it registered in your state. She sure is pretty.

Archived