TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No clutch problem yet, but???????

cknight

Its been some time since I visited the forum and have enjoyed getting caught up. My car was built within days of Grabber's and from what I have read, it is almost inevitable that I will one day have clutch problems. At the current rate of driving, 2000 miles in two years, I expect the problem will not surface until after the third year ( I assume I have a warranty for three years) unless I get out this summer and drive the piss out of it and force the problem to surface. Yes I know, it was made to have the piss driven out of it, but that is for someone that knows how to drive it that away and that for the most part is not me.

Is there any chance I can get this thing fixed now before I have to do it on my nickel?

To be honest, I believe it to be temperature related. Like having a hot part suddenly introduced to cold temps (think of hard braking in dry weather then running through a deep puddle....instant rotor warpage)

Mine failed in freezing temps after I got the clutch/flywheel hot and turned the car off to run in the store real quick. Came out and that was it.......could not get it in ANY gear. Up to that point, I had zero symptoms or problems. That's why I think temps may bring on the symptoms and failures sooner.

To be honest, I believe it to be temperature related. Like having a hot part suddenly introduced to cold temps (think of hard braking in dry weather then running through a deep puddle....instant rotor warpage)

I agree. After looking at the way they put the vent holes in the bell housing, it looks like they are just asking for uneven cooling on a parked flywheel.

I agree. After looking at the way they put the vent holes in the bell housing, it looks like they are just asking for uneven cooling on a parked flywheel.

You guys might be on to something cause my car hasn't had any problems but I never drive it in the rain or when its cold.

I'm just going to drive mine until it comes up. I've talked with the dealer but they seem adamant that to follow the TSB they will not preempt the problem. Mine is my daily driver so I just do the hiss test about once a week and hopefully I will catch it before I'm left on the side of the road. Love the car but this is a hell of a note for a $50,000 automobile. I'll still buy another one if Ford is still around in a few years.

09, bought in September of 08, build was in August of 08, left the line on August 15th, I understand the new flywheel started going in on August 27th....figures.

post-22339-1233668556_thumb.jpg

09, bought in September of 08, build was in August of 08, left the line on August 15th, I understand the new flywheel started going in on August 27th....figures.

I think the new flywheel started going in Aug 19 or 20.

FWIW - I think there are some liability issues for cars sold after TSB, and before new flywheels.

"I think the new flywheel started going in Aug 19 or 20."

This is supposed to make me feel better?

:banghead:

In all seriousness, I think you are right, so I in all probability received the LAST OLD STYLE FLYWHEEL ever produced. Glad Ford was able to clean out that old inventory.

Why do I feel just A LITTLE bit taken?

Anyway, still will buy a new one in a few years if Ford is still around.

post-22339-1233690655_thumb.jpg

post-22339-1233690655_thumb.jpg

Its been some time since I visited the forum and have enjoyed getting caught up. My car was built within days of Grabber's and from what I have read, it is almost inevitable that I will one day have clutch problems. At the current rate of driving, 2000 miles in two years, I expect the problem will not surface until after the third year ( I assume I have a warranty for three years) unless I get out this summer and drive the piss out of it and force the problem to surface. Yes I know, it was made to have the piss driven out of it, but that is for someone that knows how to drive it that away and that for the most part is not me.

Is there any chance I can get this thing fixed now before I have to do it on my nickel?

Mine was produced 06/15/2007. I have 16K on it and have no ill effects other than the ocassional clutch shudder on take-off. I've spoken to my dealership about the TSB and they are aware of it. They've done a couple of other GT500's. My car definitely has the older style flywheel and my Service Manager advised they would replace the clutch assembly and flywheel under warrant anytime I wanted to bring it in. They would also do the trans. repair (which is part of the TSB parts) but I don't see a need to replace anything in the transmission as I have never had any problems with difficulty getting it into any gear or other related issues. I just thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and conduct the TSB before anything bad happens, plus get the benefit of a new clutch and the improved flywheel. Some posters have said their clutch shudder issue went away with the new clutch and flywheel and some say it didn't. Bottom line, I would hope your dealer would conduct the TSB, but each dealer has their way of doing things. Good luck and I hope this gives you some insight.

I have had some issues shifting into first and second lately and also the shuddering, mostly shuddering in reverse though. Then last week, I fired her up and pushed in the clutch to head out and had the infamous continuous hiss.....I am really dreading taking her in for the TSB, but I see no alternative.. I Need to get her done before Shelbyfest!!!!!

Hello all great stuff from grabber and the others, my question is this my 2009 GT500 (bulid date 08/08) has some cluth chatter when I let off of the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, the gears are grabbing cleanly, however there is a noticable clicking type sound when I let off the gas. My car has 1,200 miles on it. Do I have the TSB issue? I passed the "Hiss Test"

You guys might be on to something cause my car hasn't had any problems but I never drive it in the rain or when its cold.

I like this thread for what we are learning. I live in a warm to stinking hot (texas like environment). I'll monitor my car (now has ~150miles) and see how it goes with time. I notice the tendency to clutch shudder at take off in daily driving but I think that is more getting used to the tall gearing. I get it right it goes fine, I am a little off on the engagement point and rev up a bit too much and it shudders a bit.

Does the 3.73 diff change help here? Maybe a lot of people are "juddering" the clutch on contact? My mechanic friend here told me that the synchros shouldn't suffer at all unless it is an oil problem (prior to the clutch/tranny/flywheel going that is).With the lower diff ratio is it easier to get off the line?

Bye.

Dan

Archived