TEAM SHELBY FORUM

American Racing long tube headers installed.

I had a set of American racing long tube 1 3/4" headers and a high flow catted Xpipe installed this weekend. Only gained 18.5 rwhp since I wound up losing a pound of boost in the process and I will have to install a slightly smaller pulley to get it back, which I will do as soon as it gets here and I should wind up with around 480rwhp. I had no idea how loud the headers and the high flow catted X would make the SLP loudmouths until they got it on the dyno and it was way over the top as far as being too loud. It was a long 80 mile drive home worrying about getting pulled over the whole way. The first thing I did Sunday morning was to remove the loudmouths are install my FR mufflers and they sound perfect in my opinion. I almost dropped another $500 on a set of Borlas, glad I didn’t.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
I had a set of American racing long tube 1 3/4" headers and a high flow catted Xpipe installed this weekend. Only gained 18.5 rwhp since I wound up losing a pound of boost in the process and I will have to install a slightly smaller pulley to get it back, which I will do as soon as it gets here and I should wind up with around 480rwhp. I had no idea how loud the headers and the high flow catted X would make the SLP loudmouths until they got it on the dyno and it was way over the top as far as being too loud. It was a long 80 mile drive home worrying about getting pulled over the whole way. The first thing I did Sunday morning was to remove the loudmouths are install my FR mufflers and they sound perfect in my opinion. I almost dropped another $500 on a set of Borlas, glad I didn’t.

Jeff

Jeff,

Are you still happy with this set up and where did you buy the headers ?

I have the KR mufflers (in a box) and was looking at the same headers and x pipe

Thanks

Andrew

Jeff

I wish I could've heard that!!!

Did you have shorty headers installed to begin with, by chance? I'm looking for HP gains from shortys/factory x-pipe vs. long tubes/aftermarket x-pipe.

I'm really considering running long tubes myself, since these shortys haven't done much for me.

Ken

Did you have shorty headers installed to begin with, by chance? I'm looking for HP gains from shortys/factory x-pipe vs. long tubes/aftermarket x-pipe.

I'm really considering running long tubes myself, since these shortys haven't done much for me.

Ken

Ken, the shorties are supposed to be good for about 13 crank HP from what I've read. Did you find that to be the case?

Jeff,

Are you still happy with this set up and where did you buy the headers ?

I have the KR mufflers (in a box) and was looking at the same headers and x pipe

Thanks

Andrew

I love them, perfect fit and they look and sound great. I have since replaced my factory mufflers with the M-5230-5GT(Borla Stinger) mufflers I got from blueoval. The factory ones sounded pretty good but they were a little raspy sounding at WOT. They were not cheap but I would do it again in a minute. My shop ordered them for me from ARH but you can order them directly from them and maybe save some $. I will be under my car this weekend installing my new driveshaft and will post some pictures and a sound clip.

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/homepage.htm

Ken

No shortys, just replaced the stock exhaust. If I had not of lost a pound of boost due to reduced back pressure the HP gain would have been about 30 rwhp with the long tubes and custom tune.

Jeff

No shortys, just replaced the stock exhaust. If I had not of lost a pound of boost due to reduced back pressure the HP gain would have been about 30 rwhp with the long tubes and custom tune.

Jeff

You didn't really lose a pound of boost, you lost a restriction and gained efficiency. Boost is merely a measure of backpressure.

The engine internals see it a little differently :cry:

My five liter has a pulley capable of 13 psi, yet I only see 7 psi at full boost on a very efficient, worked motor.

Archived