TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sorry Mr. Shelby

Gun Oil

We were at the Shelby Headquarters last Monday during our trip to Las Vegas. It was my first trip to the Facility, and having owned a 1966 GT350, and now my 08 GT 500 Vert', I was pretty stoked to be doing the brief tour, and seeing the Mueseum. After leaving a small fortune in the gift shop and getting one more final look around, we went out front to get a picture in front of the enterance, then we were thinking about going over to the speedway for a tour that they do hourly.

Deciding that there wasn't much there to see that we hadn't seen before, we opted to go over the the Shelby Corner Cafe. I had always wanted to try some of Mr. Shelby's Chili, and what a better place to do it but in HIS Cafe.

We went inside, and right away felt at home with the decor, hoods from Mustangs, Shelby cars place mats, Cobra Valve cover light fixtures, and all kinds of fun memoribilia to look at.

We had our lunch, I got my bowl of Chili, and we were out the door, ready to head back to the Belagio, and lose some more $$.

As I walked out to the POS rental car I was driving, I didn't think twice about the silver Ford mini-van parked in the HC spot next to us. We were too busy yaking, and talking about the day to really pay any attention to it to it.

As I got in the car, and started the engine, the passenger door opens, and as my jaw dropped open and hit the sterring wheel, that was when my afternoon took a left turn! I was suddenly eye to eye with Carroll Shelby! I stammered and had to do a double take, and I start yipping like a school kid that had just seen his favortie Sports Hero to my wife....."That was Carroll Shelby.....holy $hit, I wonder if I could get a picture with him?"

We followed him and the woman who was with him inside, and by the time we hit the door to the Cafe, and went in, he was no where to be found. I noticed a door on the wall facing the front door was open, and it led to a conference/banquet room. The room had huge windows, and it was obvious that he and his guest were in the room.

We VERY politely stuck our heads(my head)and asked if it would be possible to get a picture with Mr. Shelby? That was when the woman with him starts yelling at us to get out, and leave him alone! I immediately apologized and began my rertreat, when Carroll stood up, invited us in, and said "I love to have my picture taken, come on in."

I was so flustered by what had just happend that I blubbered out a few thank you's for giving us such awesome cars to own, or something to that extent. My wife snapped the picture, his companion snapped at us one more time to "GET OUT and let him have his lunch", and after shaking this living legends hand, & thanking him an additional time, we were on our way with our tails between our legs!

If I look unhappy in the picture, just re-read what lead up to this moment.....you would probably have the same look on your face.

winandmrshelbysmall.jpg

Looking back, it was an opportunity that I truly never thought would happen, I was lucky enough to meet Carroll Shelby, shake his hand, and have a picture with him that will last the rest of my life. In hind sight, I guess I would have done it again........who among us wouldn't have? Sometimes we act without thinking about how it will effect others, human nature I guess......

I will be sending a letter to Carroll, and a $500.00 donation to the Children's Fund, with my apology, and gratitude for him being willing to make the time out of his day to meet me!

That was when the woman with him (99% sure at this point it was Mrs. Shelby) starts yelling at us to get out, and leave him alone! I mean she was going Bat $hit crtazy on me.

Gun Oil

The good part is you now have a Carroll Shelby story of your own. The bad part is that "someone" with Shelby went BS Crazy on you but we all have days like that. From your post I have no idea who this person was but unless you're 100% positive that it was Mrs Shelby its probably best not to blame her. It just wouldn't be fair to Mrs Shelby if it was someone else.

Again at least you have a CS story to tell the grand kids someday.

Steve

Gun Oil

The good part is you now have a Carroll Shelby story of your own. The bad part is that "someone" with Shelby went BS Crazy on you but we all have days like that. From your post I have no idea who this person was but unless you're 100% positive that it was Mrs Shelby its probably best not to blame her. It just wouldn't be fair to Mrs Shelby if it was someone else.

Again at least you have a CS story to tell the grand kids someday.

Steve

Fixed......

I have worked at a 5 Star resort in Park City Utah for going on 7 years I also drove for shuttle/limo company for 4 ski seasons and the Sundance Film Festival. I have had my share of encounters with famous and infamous people during my time here. I have met and driven "A list" stars, NFL players, NBA players and numerous producers and directors.

I can say that 99% of them are pretty cool. If you ask for a photo or autograph, most will comply. It is when you don't ask first that there could be a problem. Or if you chase them down. They are just like us, except bigger egos and bank accounts, and many of the same things annoy them. Then you add the public limelight and papparazzi in to the mix. It is no wonder they can get touchy. Maybe that is what happened to you in Vegas. At least Mr Shelby was gracious enough to grant you a photo.

We were at the Shelby Headquarters last Monday during our trip to Las Vegas. It was my first trip to the Facility, and having owned a 1966 GT350, and now my 08 GT 500 Vert', I was pretty stoked to be doing the brief tour, and seeing the Mueseum. After leaving a small fortune in the gift shop and getting one more final look around, we went out front to get a picture in front of the enterance, then we were thinking about going over to the speedway for a tour that they do hourly.

Deciding that there wasn't much there to see that we hadn't seen before, we opted to go over the the Shelby Corner Cafe. I had always wanted to try some of Mr. Shelby's Chili, and what a better place to do it but in HIS Cafe.

We went inside, and right away felt at home with the decor, hoods from Mustangs, Shelby cars place mats, Cobra Valve cover light fixtures, and all kinds of fun memoribilia to look at.

We had our lunch, I got my bowl of Chili, and we were out the door, ready to head back to the Belagio, and lose some more $$.

As I walked out to the POS rental car I was driving, I didn't think twice about the silver Ford mini-van parked in the HC spot next to us. We were too busy yaking, and talking about the day to really pay any attention to it to it.

As I got in the car, and started the engine, the passenger door opens, and as my jaw dropped open and hit the sterring wheel, that was when my afternoon took a left turn! I was suddenly eye to eye with Carroll Shelby! I stammered and had to do a double take, and I start yipping like a school kid that had just seen his favortie Sports Hero to my wife....."That was Carroll Shelby.....holy $hit, I wonder if I could get a picture with him?"

We followed him and the woman who was with him inside, and by the time we hit the door to the Cafe, and went in, he was no where to be found. I noticed a door on the wall facing the front door was open, and it led to a conference/banquet room. The room had huge windows, and it was obvious that he and his guest were in the room.

We VERY politely stuck our heads(my head)and asked if it would be possible to get a picture with Mr. Shelby? That was when the woman with him starts yelling at us to get out, and leave him alone! I immediately apologized and began my rertreat, when Carroll stood up, invited us in, and said "I love to have my picture taken, come on in."

I was so flustered by what had just happend that I blubbered out a few thank you's for giving us such awesome cars to own, or something to that extent. My wife snapped the picture, his companion snapped at us one more time to "GET OUT and let him have his lunch", and after shaking this living legends hand, & thanking him an additional time, we were on our way with our tails between our legs!

If I look unhappy in the picture, just re-read what lead up to this moment.....you would probably have the same look on your face.

winandmrshelbysmall.jpg

Looking back, it was an opportunity that I truly never thought would happen, I was lucky enough to meet Carroll Shelby, shake his hand, and have a picture with him that will last the rest of my life. In hind sight, I guess I would have done it again........who among us wouldn't have? Sometimes we act without thinking about how it will effect others, human nature I guess......

I will be sending a letter to Carroll, and a $500.00 donation to the Children's Fund, with my apology, and gratitude for him being willing to make the time out of his day to meet me!

Holy oleo batman, we could be related. Twins almost.

Here's my photo with him at the Christmas gathering at the Shelby American Collection in December.

DSC_1667.jpg

That's Bob Bondurant in the right portion of my photo.

I think the donation to CSCF is quite generous. Maybe send the photo along with it and ask him to sign it. He'll do that for $150 anyway.

We both need to smile when having our photos taken by others. :

Hey, I'd probably do the same thing if I were in your shoes. The thing is with us Shelby owners is that to get the opportunity to just shake Mr.Shelby's hand and or take a picture with him is like the ultimate closing chapter in most of our book. Yeah, I'd probably send that picture in and have him sign it.

while I am glad it worked out for you and apparently Mr. Shelby has more class than some, it does upset me to know that someone would intervene and not let Mr. Shelby speak for himself. After all, it seems to me that without SAI's customers, life might be a little tougher. I guess when I go to take my much anticpated tour and visit I'll just stay to myself and not bother asking. I really don't think that is what Mr. Shelby wants, but actions from those around him speak volumes. Rant over. Craig :rant2:

Wow. A once in a lifetime meet with a stained memory. I'm sure the man is thronged wherever he goes but dang.

Glad he had the class to stand up and shake you hand.

Now if he had been sitting on the john and you asked for a picture the tounge lashing would have been deserved. :hysterical:

no hand shakey.... :hysterical:

Guest markham51

Dont sweat it Gun!

Caroll probably likes the attention and his partner was probably being protective, perhaps Caroll has been feeling his age recently.

Have a good one! :shift:

I feel for you Gun oil...I have heard a few stories with uncomfortable meetings like this. I have one friend who goes at CS every chance he can get...and has recieved dozens of autographs and quite a few "I dont want to mess with that *$%# right now!" from the man himself. But his philosophy is, if you dont ask...there is zero chance.

I won the lottery with my experience. I got to sit down at his table and eat dinner with him and many great people by a lucky twist of fate that I will cherish for the rest of my life. But I never asked for his autograph. I did wait in a line later that weekend at Terlingua and got a diecast signed, but I feel akward asking for autographs. Usually, when I find someone like that, I merely settle for greeting them and telling them nice to meet you. The last day I could have brought my car over where he signed anyone's that wanted it done. Again, I passed on the opportunity. In my mind, no signature will ever come close to talking to him, and talking about a shared passion. A lot of my friends here did get their cars signed and love it...and I support them getting it done. But if the man has a finite number of signatures, I would rather give that opportunity to someone who will really cherish it. I have my CS experience and I want everyone here to have theirs.

I hope you get your pleasurable experience one day...don't be discouraged.

Wow frank, you can almost see my face in that third pic.

Mr. Shelby is now 86 years old and on his third heart. He has good days and bad days. He will rip you a new one if you ask him for an autograph at a bad time. He has probably signed his name more times than the rest of us put together. I imagine that sometimes he just wants to be left alone and the people around him have an obligation to "protect" him as much as possible. I would guess that is what happened here: Someone wanted to protect him and he decided he didnt need protecting at that moment.

The sad fact is that he will not be around forever. My son will probably never meet him. He really is a living legend and I would suggest that anyone who meets or even sees him take that as a great thing and remember that fact.

My brother and I hauled a large, rare item halfway accross the US to have him sign it at his birthday bash in Vegas. We got to see him for about 5 minutes at the track and in the end he did not sign it, but we were thrilled just to have seen him.

Hi GunOil,

I can imagine how star struck you got when you saw Mr Shelby get out of the minivan. I was very lucky to get to meet him and his lovely wife Cleo at Terlingua. I had the same feeling in Terlingua I basically didn't say much because my tongue got tied it was kinda of looking at SUPERMAN in real life, I do want to say Cleo is a wonderful, kind, sweet lady and I highly doubt it was her who tried to shoe you away. My family and I were very fortuante to meet Cleo again at the Vegas bash and she showed the same kindness she showed in Terlingua.

I bet I can guess who the lady was that growled at you; we all love her too. :banana piano:

ccmellies

I bet I can guess who the lady was that growled at you; we all love her too. :banana piano:

ccmellies

Yes, for those of us in positions of responsibility comes unpleasant duties. She was doing her job, just as we have all done things we would rather not because that was our role. There is a nice way to do it, perhaps, but I would be throwing salt shakers at people after the first hour of running interference! :hysterical:

Shoe on the other foot aside, sometimes they dont realize how special it is to meet Mr. Shelby, since they see him all the time. Their burden is his bread and butter. So seize the moment if it is appropriate.

If you get a chance, come to some of the Team Shelby events and you may get a much better reception. You may find meeting some of these great people is equally rewarding if not more-so. I go every chance I get because of the great friends I have made, not just to meet CS, but that is always icing on the cake!

I would have told that lady to kiss my ass and go get my picture with CS. I am sure he said something to her when you left, like, "Hey your not my mother". The only thing you should be upset about is that you are not smileing in your picture. You can have that changed by special affects. You did like all of us would have done and gone for it for a picture with the man. Right on, you were way to polite. CS loves his fans, and is a living legend. SUDDEN.

Don't feel too bad. Sounds like you were polite.

Iv'e attached a photo from Oshkosh 2006.

My son and I had waited almost two hours in line. We were fourth and fifth in line.

Two very large men butted in front of us 10 minutes before Mr. Shelby arrived to sign autographs. :censored:

Mr. Shelby was late and not feeling well. He signed the first three autographs of the people in line.

Then the two who butted were next. They had video cameras, digital and film cameras, and a half a dozen other things to sign.

They had car parts, hats, shirts etc.

He told them he would sign one hat each. They began arguing with him. He got mad, and Ford execs took the two idiots away.

We were next.

Mr. Shelby was so angry at the two that he started to leave.

My son ran up to him and said to him "Mr. Shelby, Please don't leave.

Iv'e waited a long time to meet you.

My dad says you are a great man and a Legend.

He said you whip Vettes!"

Mr. Shelby came back, sat down, and my son gave him a big hug.

He then signed our hats and shook my hand. He said to William my son, "Thanks, you just made my day."

William and I will cherish that day forever.

I no longer have the mustache. Too much grey. :hysterical:

My son and I had waited almost two hours in line. We were fourth and fifth in line.

Two very large men butted in front of us 10 minutes before Mr. Shelby arrived to sign autographs. :censored:

Mr. Shelby was late and not feeling well. He signed the first three autographs of the people in line.

Then the two who butted were next. They had video cameras, digital and film cameras, and a half a dozen other things to sign.

He told them he would sign one hat each. They began arguing with him. He got mad, and Ford execs took the two idiots away.

We were next.

He then signed our hats and shook my hand. He said to William my son, "Thanks, you just made my day."

Thats a great story I to was at Oshkosh for the air show in 06 and saw the Hertz car being displayed. At that time I really wasn't into mustangs but when I saw that Hertz car I immediatley fell in love and at that second started my passion for Shelby cars. In your picture I can tell by the smile on Mr Shelbys face that your son made him feel wonderful again. Signature whores can always ruine a good time

Thats a great story I to was at Oshkosh for the air show in 06 and saw the Hertz car being displayed. At that time I really wasn't into mustangs but when I saw that Hertz car I immediatley fell in love and at that second started my passion for Shelby cars. In your picture I can tell by the smile on Mr Shelbys face that your son made him feel wonderful again. Signature whores can always ruine a good time

Thanks.

Mr. Shelby is like a Granpa to all the children he meets. :happy feet:

Here is a photo from July 28/2006;

This conversation is really getting me excited about my upcoming trip to Las Vegas next month. I completely forgot about SAI being located there! I have added it to "the list" of things to see there in LV (never been there before).

We were next.

:happy feet: Nice story..that really touched me cause I pictured my son doing that...what a nice man (Mr.Shelby)...and I hope he lives as long as he wishes in peace and health and always happy....:)

Archived