TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Duct & Driving Light Thread

What PIAA model are the lights?

One of my lenses got taken out by a rock. Here's the lens/light part number:

PartNumber.jpg

Link to that part - they may have the entire set of lights elsewhere on the site:

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-PIAA-97724.htm

Sam

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK just a quick sanity check here. I got my brake duct bezels from Shelby and they look NOTHING like the ones you guys have posted here on this thread. The plastic fascia you guys have with the CS logo is nothing like mine. mine appears to be made of some kind of fiber glass resin material and then sanded on the front to a dull flat / smooth texture. in fact to the touch they are covered in a fine black powder from the sanding. Then the brake ducts themselves are not the plastic square mesh. In stead they are a hexagon metal mesh silver in color and they have been "shaped" around a coke can or something to make them into a cup shape. It's VERY homemade looking and I am now not certain of what to think having seen your pics. Any clue here? If nobody believes me I will post some pics. Give a shout if you know what gives?

OK just a quick sanity check here. I got my brake duct bezels from Shelby and they look NOTHING like the ones you guys have posted here on this thread. The plastic fascia you guys have with the CS logo is nothing like mine. mine appears to be made of some kind of fiber glass resin material and then sanded on the front to a dull flat / smooth texture. in fact to the touch they are covered in a fine black powder from the sanding. Then the brake ducts themselves are not the plastic square mesh. In stead they are a hexagon metal mesh silver in color and they have been "shaped" around a coke can or something to make them into a cup shape. It's VERY homemade looking and I am now not certain of what to think having seen your pics. Any clue here? If nobody believes me I will post some pics. Give a shout if you know what gives?

Pictures would certainly help to identify them....post away!!!

Definitely want to see, considering buying a set.

Definitely want to see, considering buying a set.

Ok- Quick update then I will snap some pics tonight to show everyone what I was talking about. For now here is the word from Shelby.

The Brake Duct Kit is indeed an newer version of the kit. The front plate and the mesh are totally and completely different in appearance but not in function.

I was told that when SPP recently and officially became part of SAI, that the source for those kits changed or was discontinued or whatever. They are now Fabricated by Shelby themselves and thus they will be the new part going forward. I will need to figure a way to secure the mesh better as one of mine falls out of the tube easily the other is bigger and seems to pressure fit just fine though I think I will secure it in as well. IT does indeed look different than the older version. Trying to decide If I like it as much as the older style. -But, either way I will likely just go for it and put them in.

As promised, here are the pics of the new Brake duct kit from Shelby for our SGT's. As you can see the housing is totally different as are the mesh grills for the cold air duct. They appear to be some kind of resin / fiberglass material that is formed into a mold then the front part is sanded smooth and has a flat black appearance. The new honeycomb mesh is also bent in a circular cup shape and then I guess is pressure fit into the tube. I am going to find a way to secure them a little better however as one of mine falls out easily.

shelby2kit.jpg

shelby1kit.jpg

shelby3kit.jpg

I don't know I kind of like the fiberglass look and if the honey comb inserts were simply pop rivited in then they would not move.

I dont think they are too bad looking at all. The real story should begin if they work or not.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here are the pics of the new Brake duct kit from Shelby for our SGT's. As you can see the housing is totally different as are the mesh grills for the cold air duct. They appear to be some kind of resin / fiberglass material that is formed into a mold then the front part is sanded smooth and has a flat black appearance. The new honeycomb mesh is also bent in a circular cup shape and then I guess is pressure fit into the tube. I am going to find a way to secure them a little better however as one of mine falls out easily.

I don't think these look bad at all. I definitely prefer the 1st gen ducts, but these aren't terrible by any means.

Can you tell me the outside diameter of the brake cooling duct itself? Thanks for the pics.

Ken

I don't think these look bad at all. I definitely prefer the 1st gen ducts, but these aren't terrible by any means.

Can you tell me the outside diameter of the brake cooling duct itself? Thanks for the pics.

Ken

I am with Ken I am all over the fiberglass and aluminum honeycomb piece add some poprivets and your totally dialed in! I dig it.

So can we buy these or what is the story I am in! I had the opprotunity to get up close and personal with a 68 original GT500 and it had hand bent metal mesh on it...I like the hand built aspect waaayyyy better then the molded plastic stuff ANY day of the week...

Where do we order this I cannot get to that page on the Shelby store need a passcode or something?

I received my break duck & driving lights bezels last week and after requesting the installation instructions separately (they didn't come with the bezels) I installed them this past Saturday. Here's my suggestions for anyone attempting to do the job yourself.

1. Buy some car ramps and use a couple of 2X4's to get the front tires up on to clear the front air dam.

2. Remove the splash guard from underneath the radiator. This makes the installation alot easier.

3. The instructions call for locating the mounting bolts and hole cutouts by using the supplied templates. The locations for the mounting bolts are dead on but the break duct and driving lights hole locations are worthless. I precisely located these holes using a 4" and 3 5/8" hole drill. Unfortunately the bezels have such a precise fit that no matter how much you manuver the bezels they won't go in. What I did and you may consider is to remove all of the plastic bumper insert except for a 5/8" tab around the bolt locations. This allow the bezels to be positioned easily and fit snugly into the bumper location. After attaching the supplied stainless bolts, washers and nuts, the bezels are solidly in place.

4. If you have the lower billet grill, you will need to cut off the ends of the half moon tabs to fit around the break duct extensions.

My driving lights are in the mail and I'll be installing them next weekend and I'll be uploading pics for all to see.

I guess you don't have a supercharger w/ intercoolers as the lower lights/bezel interfere with the intercooler and cannot work so keep this in mind if plan to add the FR or KB blowers

Man. . . . . . Now I'm not sure I want to drop the $$$ on these. I really don't want it to look like I fabricated something myself and then tried to make it look good on the car. I really liked the look of the ones that we'd waited............and waited.............and waited so long to get. I guess I need to see these newer (newest) ones installed on someone's car and make a decision after that. See what happens when you wait - Sometimes it's good to wait (Deep Draw Hood) - and sometimes it's not.

I guess you don't have a supercharger w/ intercoolers as the lower lights/bezel interfere with the intercooler and cannot work so keep this in mind if plan to add the FR or KB blowers

I thought you could install either the cooling or the lights with the IC but not both?

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any new update on these? Is SA (SAI) making these in-house now and shipping them out. I don't even see them in the Shelby Store.

Has anyone got the low down on this? This was literally my next mod and I don't want to drop the cash on these if I'm not going to be happy with them.

Help a brother out here - I'm jonesin' for a mod to spend $$$ on and these were next on the list.

Trevor

Guess that answers that part of it. I want to get what is pictured there and the driving lights to go with them. Someone on here got something totally different and I'd like to know what I'm going to get prior to placing the order. I suppose I could simply call them to place the order and ask them directly when I place the order.

I would have thought by now, some aftermarket vendor would have come up with a solution on how to get some driving lights in that area that had OEM quality and didn't require building a garage or spending 3 bills to get them installed and used the factory plugs ........

GG

my kit i just got from SPP did not come with bolts or instructions i got the instructions but what about these bolts? I didn't get bolts for my lower grill either put that on a few weeks ago and used a pop rivit can those stay in place or do i have to drill out the pop rivets? thanks

my kit i just got from SPP did not come with bolts or instructions i got the instructions but what about these bolts? I didn't get bolts for my lower grill either put that on a few weeks ago and used a pop rivit can those stay in place or do i have to drill out the pop rivets? thanks

You'll have to drill the pop rivets out...the corners of the grill mount same place on the inside of the bezels....

• 3 months later...

I know I've commented on this in a couple other threads today, but I got my bezels this week and I'm not happy. They are not what you all have installed and they are NOT what pictured on the website. These (as said before) are some kind of resin, sanded fiberglass. They are "roughly" molded. and the ducts are loose ports on both the light and duct side. Didn't come with any bolts or instructions or templates. The new "nesh" insert just moves around in the port. Not exactly sure yet how you get these ports and the mesh to stay where they are supposed to. Very disappointed. If this was something new, the website should have been updated to reflect it. These are NOT $150 parts. There's $8 tops in parts here.

Anyone know if you can still get the old version anywhere?

I think Ken (kahmann) is selling his set, and there was another guy selling the set WITH ducts and lights too, but I can't remember who....

Whomever is selling theirs, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! These are going back to SAI. I'll buy the whole kit if someone has it, ducts, lights, etc.

Cheers, JR

Archived