TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Duct & Driving Light Thread

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking forward to adding your experiences!

Not the cleanest look, but I got the bezels in...now onto the PIAA lights

Thanks guys for the advise, I did use it.. now time to research the light install

Before I get started on the lights....PIAA lights do not insert into the bezels they only fit flush mount, is that normal? and can I just quick connect the PIAA into the factory installed plug or do I need to cut and splice?

I ordered a 4" and a 3 5/8" hole saw. Has anyone used these in cutting out the holes.

If so were they right on? The instructions say 3 1/2 but it sounds like that is to small for the light and you would need to do some creative guess grinding.

The PIAA lights mount BEHIND the bezel, not IN the bezel. (You may be able to see this in my pics back a few posts.) As far as wiring goes, I left the harness that's actually on the light alone, then clipped the end of the factory fog light harness off and replaced it with the white clip that comes on the PIAA harness. (Wire colors per the instructions that came from SAI, again, take a look at my pics.)

As for cutting the holes, I would recommend using the smaller hole saw (I used the 3.5") on BOTH holes, OR use the roto-zip method. (Either way, you will probably tear up the template!) By drilling the holes smaller, you can gently grind away excess plastic until the bezel fits and avoid over-doing it, possibly cutting out more than necessary! Remember, grind and fit, grind and fit! These things don't just slip in, they are tight!

Also, don't drill the 5 mounting holes until you can fit the bezel in place, then mark and drill the holes using the actual bezel as a template!!

bezel.jpg

Sam

AKA:

Umm - MOST all Mustang GTs have fog lights in the original front grille. When SAI installed the "Shelby" Grille, they pulled the factory fog lamps - but the wires/connectors are still hanging (tied up) on the radiator support.

Those original fog lights were controled by the head lamp switch. When you turn on your park lamps or your head lamps, you just pull it the knob out and the fog lamps turn on.

Trevor

Those original fog lights were controled by the head lamp switch. When you turn on your park lamps or your head lamps, you just pull it the knob out and the fog lamps turn on.

Thanks a lot for this info. My kit arrived today. I think I'll save myself the hassle tonight and take a stab at the install tomorrow at work.

Ken

The PIAA lights mount BEHIND the bezel, not IN the bezel. (You may be able to see this in my pics back a few posts.) As far as wiring goes, I left the harness that's actually on the light alone, then clipped the end of the factory fog light harness off and replaced it with the white clip that comes on the PIAA harness. (Wire colors per the instructions that came from SAI, again, take a look at my pics.)

As for cutting the holes, I would recommend using the smaller hole saw (I used the 3.5") on BOTH holes, OR use the roto-zip method. (Either way, you will probably tear up the template!) By drilling the holes smaller, you can gently grind away excess plastic until the bezel fits and avoid over-doing it, possibly cutting out more than necessary! Remember, grind and fit, grind and fit! These things don't just slip in, they are tight!

Also, don't drill the 5 mounting holes until you can fit the bezel in place, then mark and drill the holes using the actual bezel as a template!!

bezel.jpg

Sam

AKA:

Good info Sam!

Thanks!

Umm - MOST all Mustang GTs have fog lights in the original front grille. When SAI installed the "Shelby" Grille, they pulled the factory fog lamps - but the wires/connectors are still hanging (tied up) on the radiator support.

Trevor

+1

Also, if you wire up to the existing OEM harness, a relay prevents the driving lights from functioning when the ignition is off or when the high-beams are on! (The high-beam thing is something I've been meaning to investigate, but haven't yet gotten around to, sorry!)

Sam

AKA:

Just got my kit yesterday. Hopefully with all the help here it won't be such a chore!

One thing I noticed when opening the box is the lights have a black grill with PIAA on them.

How do you remove the grill from the lights without breaking them?

Thanks,

Kevin

07SGT2591

Just got my kit yesterday. Hopefully with all the help here it won't be such a chore!

One thing I noticed when opening the box is the lights have a black grill with PIAA on them.

How do you remove the grill from the lights without breaking them?

Thanks,

Kevin

07SGT2591

I didn't have any difficulty removing the PIAA grills, they just popped right off! If I remember correctly, (I'm at work right now), I held the body of the light in one hand, then used the fingers of the other hand on the left/right edge of the grill, and gently pried it off.

Also, one other thing: Someone else mentioned how much plastic is removed when drilling the large holes for the bezel. I would have to guess, (and I mean GUESS), you could remove almost all of the plastic behind the bezel, EXCEPT leave tabs for the 5 mounting bolts. Though it would PROBABLY work, I don't think I would try it unless I made a mistake in measuring or cutting something and really needed to remove more! In my case, I tried real hard to leave as much backing as possible for strength, not only for the bezel, but for the adjacent lower grill.

Sam

AKA:

Well I finally got around to working on this kit. I've got the driver's side bezel in place (sheesh that's a tight squeeze), however, I'm just now realizing that the allen bolts for the bezels aren't in the box.

Does anyone have a spec on these? I guess I could just call SPP and have some shipped up to me. I can't imagine that the bezel is going to fall out of there after all that fighting I did to get it in there!

Any help is much appreciated.

Ken

Anyone here with the Intercooled Whipple supercharger order this kit???????

I'm still wanting a definite answer if these Duct Bezels/lights will still fit with the Whipple intercooler.

I would not be looking to actually use the brake ducting, but want the lamps/bezels.....

Fit?............ Won't Fit??

Trevor

I get my kit this week sometime, this will help out alot.

Well I finally got around to working on this kit. I've got the driver's side bezel in place (sheesh that's a tight squeeze), however, I'm just now realizing that the allen bolts for the bezels aren't in the box.

Does anyone have a spec on these? I guess I could just call SPP and have some shipped up to me. I can't imagine that the bezel is going to fall out of there after all that fighting I did to get it in there!

Any help is much appreciated.

Ken

I just finished the bezel install, several hours later. This job sucks, but if you have the time and any mechanical ability at all, it's not very difficult.

It's just massively irritating and time consuming. My hands and arms are cut all over the place from the back of the bezels. If you have big hands, save yourself the trouble and take this to a shop.

Anyway, just sharing my exhaustion and frustration. (they certainly do look sweet though!) ;)

Ken

My 140.00 to a body shop to have this done looks like it was a pretty good deal after all. I don't mine doing some things myself but some things aren't worth the frustration.

Yep, I mentioned that a couple of posts back, but it bears bringing up again: It's not exactly a "cut and paste" kind of install, there's a lot of cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, take a break, figure out how to proceed, mark this, drill that, cut some more, wire, fuses...!

If you are the DIY type of person, at least semi-skilled with tools, and have the time, then this Mod is for you! If you don't have the time or skills to hassle with it, by all means hire the job out!

As for me, like Gary said, there is a great sense of accomplishment and pride as you stand there admiring your own handywork! (Even if you pulled out your hair, busted knuckles and tore flesh, and took two days to get it done!)

Sam

AKA:

My 140.00 to a body shop to have this done looks like it was a pretty good deal after all. I don't mine doing some things myself but some things aren't worth the frustration.

I would never attempt this job on my car.

I know I would screw it up.

Wish I know someone who could do it economically.......

Tasca wants $400 in labor....

That's a crazy amount of money for the install. The install for me was an easy one. With the Rotozip I got it right the first time. If you were closer I'd definitely help you out.

Michael, I'd shop around. If I remember correctly, it was like 5 or 6 maybe 700.00 bucks for the lower grille with fog lights, front and rear brake ducts, installed. But I am getting older, so the memory isn't what it used to be. Maybe you should PM Bud and get a price, just so you have something to base it on. $400.00 for labor alone seems like a lot of money.

Archived