TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Duct & Driving Light Thread

I received my break duck & driving lights bezels last week and after requesting the installation instructions separately (they didn't come with the bezels) I installed them this past Saturday. Here's my suggestions for anyone attempting to do the job yourself.

1. Buy some car ramps and use a couple of 2X4's to get the front tires up on to clear the front air dam.

2. Remove the splash guard from underneath the radiator. This makes the installation alot easier.

3. The instructions call for locating the mounting bolts and hole cutouts by using the supplied templates. The locations for the mounting bolts are dead on but the break duct and driving lights hole locations are worthless. I precisely located these holes using a 4" and 3 5/8" hole drill. Unfortunately the bezels have such a precise fit that no matter how much you manuver the bezels they won't go in. What I did and you may consider is to remove all of the plastic bumper insert except for a 5/8" tab around the bolt locations. This allow the bezels to be positioned easily and fit snugly into the bumper location. After attaching the supplied stainless bolts, washers and nuts, the bezels are solidly in place.

4. If you have the lower billet grill, you will need to cut off the ends of the half moon tabs to fit around the break duct extensions.

My driving lights are in the mail and I'll be installing them next weekend and I'll be uploading pics for all to see.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I received my break duck & driving lights bezels last week and after requesting the installation instructions separately (they didn't come with the bezels) I installed them this past Saturday. Here's my suggestions for anyone attempting to do the job yourself.

1. Buy some car ramps and use a couple of 2X4's to get the front tires up on to clear the front air dam.

2. Remove the splash guard from underneath the radiator. This makes the installation alot easier.

3. The instructions call for locating the mounting bolts and hole cutouts by using the supplied templates. The locations for the mounting bolts are dead on but the break duct and driving lights hole locations are worthless. I precisely located these holes using a 4" and 3 5/8" hole drill. Unfortunately the bezels have such a precise fit that no matter how much you manuver the bezels they won't go in. What I did and you may consider is to remove all of the plastic bumper insert except for a 5/8" tab around the bolt locations. This allow the bezels to be positioned easily and fit snugly into the bumper location. After attaching the supplied stainless bolts, washers and nuts, the bezels are solidly in place.

4. If you have the lower billet grill, you will need to cut off the ends of the half moon tabs to fit around the break duct extensions.

My driving lights are in the mail and I'll be installing them next weekend and I'll be uploading pics for all to see.

can you post any pics?

Thanks!

The bezels went in pretty easily for me. I installed the lower gille at the same time and ended up using the 2 inner bolts for the bezels to also attach the lower grille. I had to trim the tabs on the grille and then hold it in place while drilling through the hole in the bezel and through the tabs on the grille.

I hardest part I had was drilling through the frame for the brackets to hold the lights in place. There isnt much room under there and I really didnt want to take off the entire front fascia. I ended up using a dremel with the flex hose and a small bit. Then I was able to manage getting a drill wth a 90 attached to get in there. Very tight but well worth it.

Im still waiting for the hoses and am a little worried about attaching the hoses to the inner part of the bezels. The way they are angled (up and in) and as long as the bezels are im afraid the hose will have to be bend at such an angle it will severly restrict the air flow. Not that these will offer that much air flow in the firs place.

But all in all Im happy with my 2 day project. Took me about 8 hours to do the entire thing but I took my time and also completed a few other small projects in the garage during this time.

Thanks for the additional info on the lights. It will help when I get mine in.

The bezels went in pretty easily for me. I installed the lower gille at the same time and ended up using the 2 inner bolts for the bezels to also attach the lower grille. I had to trim the tabs on the grille and then hold it in place while drilling through the hole in the bezel and through the tabs on the grille.

I hardest part I had was drilling through the frame for the brackets to hold the lights in place. There isnt much room under there and I really didnt want to take off the entire front fascia. I ended up using a dremel with the flex hose and a small bit. Then I was able to manage getting a drill wth a 90 attached to get in there. Very tight but well worth it.

Im still waiting for the hoses and am a little worried about attaching the hoses to the inner part of the bezels. The way they are angled (up and in) and as long as the bezels are im afraid the hose will have to be bend at such an angle it will severly restrict the air flow. Not that these will offer that much air flow in the firs place.

But all in all Im happy with my 2 day project. Took me about 8 hours to do the entire thing but I took my time and also completed a few other small projects in the garage during this time.

Pictures!!!!

For those of us challenged in some of the terms or where we think you're talking about it would be helpful if you could take a few pics as you install these. The more you guys talk and go back and forth with problems and workarounds the more I feel these aren't something I want to buy and try to mess with. :-( You pics could help me overcome that! :-)

So come on...help the mechanically disinclined out!

OK! Mine have shipped!

Who's coming over to put them on?

:headscratch:

Hello?

Anyone?

you pay for airfare and im there. Coach is fine.

Actually the install is pretty straight forward. Im NOT mechanically inclined at all but I do like tinkering with things like this. The key for me was to take my time and think about each step before I do it. They come with pretty nice instructions and templates. If I can do it anyone one he can.

and with the pic questions...........only if i knew how. Ive tried several times but finally gave up. I can probably email pics if you want though.l

Also, one more thing on the install. If you have a white car, when you remove the honeycomb pieces you will probably notice when they painted the lower fascia they oversprayed a bit. It didnt matter with the honeycomb pieces because they are thicker than the SPP bezels, therefore hiding the overspray. Before installing the bezels you may want to take the time to try and remove the overspray, if you have any. I didnt do it during the install but plan trying to get it later.

I would imagine the same thing with the black cars but it wouldnt be nearly as noticable.

Anyone else notice this or is mine unique?

Also, one more thing on the install. If you have a white car, when you remove the honeycomb pieces you will probably notice when they painted the lower fascia they oversprayed a bit. It didnt matter with the honeycomb pieces because they are thicker than the SPP bezels, therefore hiding the overspray. Before installing the bezels you may want to take the time to try and remove the overspray, if you have any. I didnt do it during the install but plan trying to get it later.

I would imagine the same thing with the black cars but it wouldnt be nearly as noticable.

Anyone else notice this or is mine unique?

Thanks for the heads up on that!

I'll PM you my email address then post here for all to see!

Thanks!

I just got mine delivered 15 min ago. I'd be on it right now if I didn't have a party to go to. But I'll be on it first thing in the morning.

That'll be fun with a hangover! :P

Post pics of your install - mine are due to arrive on Monday!

Sam

Looking good! I assume you utilized the two inside bolts to attach the lower grill as well? I already have the lower grill, so on mine that will have to be removed and re-installed.

I wonder if painting the intake duct grill silver (to match the lower grill) would look to funky?

Sam

AKA:

A few shots of my progress. Lights will go on tomorrow...

Great pics! My lights and brake kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Now I'm getting a little nervous. Keep those pics coming. Thanks for all the well appreciated information.

A few shots of my progress. Lights will go on tomorrow...

Quick question! Did you already install the lower grille before attempting this? If so, it looks like you removed it and then re-installed it. I already installed my lower grille and was wondering.

Thanks..Joe

Quick question! Did you already install the lower grille before attempting this? If so, it looks like you removed it and then re-installed it. I already installed my lower grille and was wondering.

Thanks..Joe

I received both the grill and ducts/lights at the same time. You will have to re-install the grill if you used the original mounting hole. Here is a shot with the lights in. I took it for a test drive in the rain so excuse the water.

post-22352-1234147989_thumb.jpg

I received both the grill and ducts/lights at the same time. You will have to re-install the grill if you used the original mounting hole. Here is a shot with the lights in. I took it for a test drive in the rain so excuse the water.

You drove your beloved SGT in the RAIN :drop: .... :hysterical: I'm glad I'm not the only one-nice install.

With my grill on back order should I hold off on the lights and do them together or is it not an issue to add the the drill AFTER the lights?

Thanks all for the the help!

-

Wont be an issue. Other then it may be a tad easier to reach without the lights there. But then again they shouldnt be that hard to remove the lights to install the grille if needed. I installed the bezels, grille, then lights.

Jeff Im still working on pics. I know its taking forever but when I do get them Ill add a suprise for ya.

I have a set of the SPP Shelby GT Brake Duct / Piaa Bezels and the Piaa Driving Light Set I don't want $345.00 plus shipping. Send me a PM if you want them.

Gary

Gary,

I reived my PIAA Lights and Brake Duct Bezels and noticed that the Diameter of the Light Bulb is Larger than the Hole Diameter in the Bezel, so the light would have to sit behind the Bezel instead of inside it.

Is that the way yours is too, or do you think they sent me the wrong size lights???

Thanks for your help,

James

Gary,

I reived my PIAA Lights and Brake Duct Bezels and noticed that the Diameter of the Light Bulb is Larger than the Hole Diameter in the Bezel, so the light would have to sit behind the Bezel instead of inside it.

Is that the way yours is too, or do you think they sent me the wrong size lights???

Thanks for your help,

James

Thats the way they are. They will hang from the frame of the vehicle and should sit right behind the "tunnel".

Archived