TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB Poll Question

chuckstang

I don't know how to do an actual poll but here goes

If you got your TSB done, what parts of the TSB did you do and if you did not do everything, why not?

My main goal of this is to find out how many decided to replace the syncros and go with a rebuilt tranny or who decided to just replace the clutch/flywheel/input shaft?

Also please post your comments and opinions about how the TSB for you came out

I dont believe there is a thread like this and if maybe this could be turned into a real poll it could be helpful.

Also please post where you had the work done.

I have no issues other than 2nd continues to get more crunchy lol but just not sold yet on gambling with replacing the syncros

Thank you much

chuck

Mine went in for the complete TSB.

Rogers Ford wanted 5 hours labor to investigate it and said the clutch wasn't covered past 12k miles. (yes, I handed them the TSB personally)

I took it to the dealership I bought it from and they took care of everything completely. Smith South Plains Ford, Lubbock TX

I drove it 4 blocks and the tranny cratered. So they put in all new flywheel, clutch assy and tranny.

The shifting at best now is marginal and not near as solid as it was, but at least it works.

With 20k miles I was lucky to get Ford to cover it. Now that it has been driven awhile, the Synchros should have been replaced if they were not. I cannot tell in the invoice unless it is included in the "Kit - Repair- Input". All parts listed in the TSB are in the invoice.

Paul

Jeez! I just posted a topic on my new Shelby arriving with a question pertaining to this TSB problem but will add to this as well as it is in sync (pardon the pun....) with this thread.

I don't have a friendly dealer near by as I live in Sth America. So I reckon that it's better to prevent than crunch the box.

1. Is it worthwhile figuring on just replacing what is needed now and not even waiting?

2. If so, can I get away with not replacing everything? Maybe just the clutch and flywheel?

3. Does Ford simply sell a complete tranny/clutch/flywheel unit that could just replace the one in my car? It looks like ~$4-5,000 to do the fix, so how much for a new complete unit?

Thanks,

Jeez! I just posted a topic on my new Shelby arriving with a question pertaining to this TSB problem but will add to this as well as it is in sync (pardon the pun....) with this thread.

I don't have a friendly dealer near by as I live in Sth America. So I reckon that it's better to prevent than crunch the box.

1. Is it worthwhile figuring on just replacing what is needed now and not even waiting?

2. If so, can I get away with not replacing everything? Maybe just the clutch and flywheel?

3. Does Ford simply sell a complete tranny/clutch/flywheel unit that could just replace the one in my car? It looks like ~$4-5,000 to do the fix, so how much for a new complete unit?

Thanks,

If your 2009 was built after 8/19/08....your good.

If your 2009 was built after 8/19/08....your good.

Hi Grabber,

Unfortunately the dealer told me that it was one of the first 2009. I think it was started in May and finished in June, but don't know for sure. But in any case it was ready in July....

So... back to my original questions and concerns. Preventive repair or wait?

chau,

Hi Grabber,

Unfortunately the dealer told me that it was one of the first 2009. I think it was started in May and finished in June, but don't know for sure. But in any case it was ready in July....

So... back to my original questions and concerns. Preventive repair or wait?

chau,

Preventive car would be great if you can afford it. I think the clutch is around 1700 and the flywheel is a couple hundred. Most likely 5 - 6 hours labor.

I bet it cost you about $2500 out of your pocket to have Ford do this.

I don't know how to do an actual poll but here goes

If you got your TSB done, what parts of the TSB did you do and if you did not do everything, why not?

My main goal of this is to find out how many decided to replace the syncros and go with a rebuilt tranny or who decided to just replace the clutch/flywheel/input shaft?

Also please post your comments and opinions about how the TSB for you came out

I dont believe there is a thread like this and if maybe this could be turned into a real poll it could be helpful.

Also please post where you had the work done.

I have no issues other than 2nd continues to get more crunchy lol but just not sold yet on gambling with replacing the syncros

Thank you much

chuck

Right before I purchased my car I had the owner take the car in for the TSB. It was not showing any symptoms but he was lucky and had a good relationship with the dealership. After much thinking over the process we determined we have the "newer" transmissions that were put into the cars built in 08. While these transmissions did not have the upgraded Clutch/flywheel they did have the upgraded input shaft.

At this point I decided to only have the clutch/flywheel replaced on the car. This did not require opening the transmissions since I opted not to change out the syncros or the input shaft. I have had NO problems with the car other then the established duel clutch disk "shutter".

When the car was brought in the input shaft had no unusual wear and was well lubricated. I am very happy with the decision to only change the clutch/flywheel. However, If it was found I had the older style transmission with the original input shaft I would have opted for the complete TSB to be preformed.

I picked the car up with only 1700 miles on it from NC and drove it back to FL. I currently have about 2.5K miles on the clock and am happy to be a new GT500 owner!

Archived