TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AirBag Cover Signature Protetion

For those that have the autographed air bag cover: Is there any means to protect the signature from degrading over time? Any way to prevent an accidental spray cleaning from destroying the signature, any way to protect?

I have asked this question before and most people have said to just leave it alone and the only thing is to put up your sun shades if ever parked outside in the sun for prolonged times. I'm coming up to a year now and have not noticed any difference in mine and I have not treated it with anything. Ask Grabber, he may be able to point you in the right direction. I know most people use a Krylon product on the signed dash plaques but have yet to hear someone using that krylon product on the dash itself. If you go that route please post results.

FR1

This would be good to know.....................I'm getting mine back in a few days.

Guest hfrosso

I've just installed mine this past weekend,i was thinking about the same thing-how to protect?

seen others put clear film over ,in my opinion ,maybe will protect ,but looks too ugly!

i was thinking of just leave it alone also

if someone nows a good way to protect ,please post

I used a clear Krylon, matte finish, on mine before I reinstalled the air bag cover. The can said non-yellowing, and UV resistant. I guess we'll see, but I had no problems, and you can't even tell I've coated it with anything unless you touch it. The Kryon did fill the aluminum grooves a bit, so the upper panel is a bit smoother than the lower panel, but you really can't see just by looking. I also used the Krylon on my last car, also over Carroll's signature. I had no issues with it either time. I would suggest a thorough cleaning before you send it, then a gentle cleaning when you get it back. Use many very light coats rather than one or two heavy ones. You never know when the paint itself might cause the signature to run, so keep the first few extremely light and keep the piece horizontal to prevent runs. I got lucky, but that's no guarantee it'll work every time, so use with caution.

Archived