TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changing your own oil

RiverRunner

I have a "thing" about doing my own maintenance. I've always done it and I shudder to think of paying someone else to do something as simple as changing oil. However, I've been driving pickups and suv's for the last 20 years and other than the Shelby, I've had one other car which was my first vehicle and only had it a year if that.

So this morning I was scratching my head wondering how the hell I was going to deal with a car that is only 5.5 inches off the ground. :headscratch:

Here is what I did and it worked pretty well. 2 2x8's, a few screws and some "fitment testing" and got the car up 6 more inches. I just can't get any fatter or I'm in trouble. :hysterical:

oil_change_ramp1.jpg

oil_change_ramp2.jpg

I have a little oil change place close to me that treats my car very nicely. No problems at all with those guys. Of course I hover like a hawk after a chicken as well so it's not like they are unsupervised. Even then they do make mistakes. I went back inside this last time after the oil change before they closed the hood. When I got home the hood was not closed but held by the pins - they didn't latch it and just used the pins to hold it closed. :banghead: Going to have to talk with Chris (the owner) about that one.

I was going to change my oil but it's so much easier to let someone else do it and I don't need to worry about trying to recycle the oil....

I use the Rhino ramps, too... My driveway slopes upward to the garage and there is about an inch edge at the front of it. I place the ramps inside the garage and when the car hits the ramps, there is only enough space between the front bumper and the ramps to slide a piece of paper through it, but they don't touch. So all is good to change my own oil...

Gary

I found this link about a guy that made his own, basically the same idea. In his post he used them for a muffler change.

home made ramps

I have a "thing" about doing my own maintenance. I've always done it and I shudder to think of paying someone else to do something as simple as changing oil. However, I've been driving pickups and suv's for the last 20 years and other than the Shelby, I've had one other car which was my first vehicle and only had it a year if that.

So this morning I was scratching my head wondering how the hell I was going to deal with a car that is only 5.5 inches off the ground. :headscratch:

Here is what I did and it worked pretty well. 2 2x8's, a few screws and some "fitment testing" and got the car up 6 more inches. I just can't get any fatter or I'm in trouble. :hysterical:

oil_change_ramp1.jpg

oil_change_ramp2.jpg

I use Rhino rams and a board. Works great on my wifes GT/CS.

th_2009CaliforniaPics002.jpg

th_2009CaliforniaPics003.jpg

th_OilchangeGT-CS5-27-08018.jpg

th_OilchangeGT-CS5-27-08019.jpg

Works great for my GT500 as well.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x53/Gra...th_Ramps020.jpg[/img][/url]

th_Ramps023.jpg

th_Ramps024.jpg

th_Ramps025.jpg

th_Ramps026.jpg

th_Ramps027.jpg

th_Ramps029.jpg

That's the same thing I do!

Lots of good ideas. I tried a search but didn't come up with anything. :shrug:

If I had to do it over I'd make mine a bit longer. I thought I'd only need 3 layers but once I got the car up there it was obvious I needed more height. Definately need to be careful so you dont roll off the end. It was only $9 in materails so I might have to chalk these up as a prototype.

River,

Why don't you just add another board to the bottom (making it longer than the last one) and nail or screw an "endstop" to the back of your ramp boards. That way you know when you're at the top and end of it...

Just my .02

Gary

Because apparently that would be WAY to easy........ :doh:

Need more coffee.......brain not working yet

Thanks!

I would NEVER use any of those quickie oil change places like the one that has the same name as peanut butter but I have no problem with the Ford dealer.

Most dealers have oil change specials to compete with these quickie lube places so for $14.95 to $19.95 I frequently use the dealer. Of course oil for the GT500 or synthetic oil adds more to the above prices.

One of the reason I use the dealer most of the time is that if I ever have to fight a warranty claim its always going to be easier when you can show that their dealerships peformed the required maintenance on the car.

Steve

River,

Why don't you just add another board to the bottom (making it longer than the last one) and nail or screw an "endstop" to the back of your ramp boards. That way you know when you're at the top and end of it...

Just my .02

Gary

I agree with the end stop idea. I built a pair of ramps similar to RiverRunners but put a block of wood at the end so I did not inadvertently run past the ramp edge. I think you would be in deep doggy dew if you fell off the end of those.

I would NEVER use any of those quickie oil change places like the one that has the same name as peanut butter but I have no problem with the Ford dealer.

Most dealers have oil change specials to compete with these quickie lube places so for $14.95 to $19.95 I frequently use the dealer. Of course oil for the GT500 or synthetic oil adds more to the above prices.

One of the reason I use the dealer most of the time is that if I ever have to fight a warranty claim its always going to be easier when you can show that their dealerships peformed the required maintenance on the car.

Steve

Your probably safe with the dealer although I had a friend in high school that barely knew how to check his own oil and didn't know how to change it and he became the oil change guy at a local dodge dealership while in college...So your not getting a mechanic your just getting some kid fresh out of high school normally...Just FYI

I found a deal on a NASCAR syle aluminum floor jack, allows for as little as 3 1/2 inches from the ground. I then ordered a Prothane jack cover for the pad. Works great and no scratches on the undercarriage. I really needed this for my Cobra because it sits 4 1/4 off the ground.

I bit the bullet and bought the two-piece Racer Ramps. Being able to remove the back ramp piece after driving up makes it a whole lot easier to work underneath, especially with the new roller-creeper the wife bought me for Christmas!

Sam

AKA:

I use TASCA FORD !

LOL, they're going to do mine this week also!

After my service agreement and warranty expire, I'll be doing my own changes with my Race Ramps.

I found a deal on a NASCAR syle aluminum floor jack, allows for as little as 3 1/2 inches from the ground. I then ordered a Prothane jack cover for the pad. Works great and no scratches on the undercarriage. I really needed this for my Cobra because it sits 4 1/4 off the ground.

I also use the NASCAR floor jack and a block of wood wrapped in a towel over the jack point. Then jack stands once up high enough.

I use Race Ramps. Very light and easy to store standing up in the corner of storage area. I love them and don't use the old steel ones anymore no matter what car I'm working on. I have the ones with the stop at the end which helps alot.

http://www.raceramps.com/

I use Race Ramps. Very light and easy to store standing up in the corner of storage area. I love them and don't use the old steel ones anymore no matter what car I'm working on. I have the ones with the stop at the end which helps alot.

http://www.raceramps.com/

I just bought these, are they nice to use should make things easier

Your probably safe with the dealer although I had a friend in high school that barely knew how to check his own oil and didn't know how to change it and he became the oil change guy at a local dodge dealership while in college...So your not getting a mechanic your just getting some kid fresh out of high school normally...Just FYI

Yup I have to agree with you on that. I had to school the Ford dealer that my Hertz car did not need the unique GT500 motor oil. He kept telling me that ALL Shelby's had to have that oil. Finally the tech came to the office and told the service writer that my oil cap didn't specify that oil like the GT500 does.

Steve

Archived