TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dreaded rock chip in paint...

stpracer43

Driving home the other night I heard that dreaded sound... a rock bouncing off my car.

It's a fair sized chip, looks like down to primer. Took a couple pics. For short term protection I gave it a quick wash, clay bar, and 3 coats of Zaino.

Thought about the touch up paints, but guess I'll need to visit a paint & body shop soon.

Keith

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Driving home the other night I heard that dreaded sound... a rock bouncing off my car.

It's a fair sized chip, looks like down to primer. Took a couple pics. For short term protection I gave it a quick wash, clay bar, and 3 coats of Zaino.

Thought about the touch up paints, but guess I'll need to visit a paint & body shop soon.

Keith

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

I had two chips on the passenger side near the roofline by the rear quarter window. I bought one of those duplicolor touch up kits. What a mistake. Made it worse then I had to bring it to a highly recommended paint shop that supposedly does showcars. Had to go back three times and be without the car for days. Then I had to claybar the car cause there was overspray everywhere. Next time I have chips, I'm just using a few lite coats of touch up with a real light sand and polish and wax. I will never bring my car to another paint shop unless I'm in an accident and have no choice. JMO.

Believe me I learned my lesson. I am getting my car supercharged at Shelby and I am going to pay them to repaint the entire front end. I will have to get a new bumber, radiator, Grill, mustang logo, hood scope, stripes and turn signal lenses. Wish I could get NEW HID replacement headlights but refuse to spend $800 for each one and I already replaced the windshield. Driving the car the way I did in Terlingua probably cost me at least $3,000 to $4,000 in damage but to be honest it was WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Here is what real rock chip damage is. I'm sorry to hear about your one rock chip but my entire front end looks like this from a 380 mile Shelby bullrun.

Damn, what did you guys race on?...a pebble track?

I think I would've used a bra just for that trip and a lot of blue painters tape.

Stpracer, go to the ford dealer and buy their touch up paint with the pen tip. Clean the chip out with rubbing alchol and let it dry. Use the pen tip and gentily fill the chip one layer at a time. Use a pencil eraser head to flatten the paint as it dries. If you do it right it will look really good. I only use OEM paint for touch ups because nothing else matches or lasts as long.

same issue here with a black car of course

how do you use the pen side of the ford touch up tube?

what is the best way to get the paint on the tip, I thought it would just ooze through but doesnt seem to be any hole or way of doing that.

Im having my entire hood painted, and am almost considering just painting the entire front bumper, fenders and hood and then do the clear bra so this never happens again

Anyone know how much it costs to repaint the front bumper and fenders correctly

I already have $500 est for the hood

yikes

thanks

Man, I thought the one chip was bad... can imagine a entire front end being sandblasted!

I'm planning to give the touch up pen a go this coming weekend, if the wx is nice. Thanks Show car for the tips.

As much as I hate the chip, I know I've gotten good miles out of my Shelby!

Yes! Good info! Thanks for the paint link and good discussion. Several years ago one of the salespeople I worked with picked up a brand new thunderbird and headed back to El Paso with it. Ran into a "little" sand squall, but didn't think much about it. Got up the next morning and was surprised to find his car sandblasted down to the bare metal on one side......

I think I would've used a bra just for that trip and a lot of blue painters tape.

It wasn't a race just a road ralley and it was on Texas Roads. I really wish I had been smart enough to get a clear bra and a cologne bra. I actually bought the car 3 weeks earlier off the showroom floor. I remember a couple days after buying the car I ran over a tiny stick in my driveway and got out freaking out that it might have scratched my car thank goodness there was no scratch. Little did I know what was about to happen a few weeks later. I guess when you get caught up in the moment nothing else matters. I know my car will look like new again soon. I figured I should post some pictures to let everybody know what can happen when you follow to close in a ralley. It really is smart to tape up the entire front end with painters tape

Yep!! My front end looks exactly like yours, even worse in some spots. I filed a claim with my insurance and received $8,500 from them. My car goes in tomorrow for an entire new paint job. I bought a new front assembly so that I can hang my current one in the garage for the "Terlingua memories"! I'm going with an entire paint job including the stripes and then 5-8 layers of clear so that it is all nice and smooth. I'm really going to dread my first rock chip after that. No more swirls in the black paint from those darn Hertz lot tech buffers!

Yep!! My front end looks exactly like yours, even worse in some spots. I filed a claim with my insurance and received $8,500 from them. My car goes in tomorrow for an entire new paint job. I bought a new front assembly so that I can hang my current one in the garage for the "Terlingua memories"! I'm going with an entire paint job including the stripes and then 5-8 layers of clear so that it is all nice and smooth. I'm really going to dread my first rock chip after that. No more swirls in the black paint from those darn Hertz lot tech buffers!

$8500.00 wow! Who's your insurance co.? The federal government :D

It all added up pretty quick, windshield, all the lights, grilles, a/c condenser, wheels (yes even my wheels were chipped damaged), mirrors, stripe kit, rear wing, all the paint work, R&R labor. I was pretty shocked with the estimate, but I'm not one to complain. So for that money, I decided to make the car even better and go full custom paint that should last me forever. There's lots of debate about painting the stripes, but I want quality that will last, so I'm painting!

how do you use the pen side of the ford touch up tube?

i am not exactly sure with the Ford pens but others I have used have a retainer cup inside that needs to be removed if you want to use the pen.

Paul

Let me clarify, the touch up paint from Ford has a pen built in the cap. Remove the orange stop inside the bottle, next push the tip down and slowly roll out the paint like a standard ink pen. I like to write on a piece of paper with a new bottle of paint to wet the roller ball in the tip.

Keith

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

I thought someone would mention this by now, but since no one has, I'll do it. I have used a product called 'Langka the blob elimanator'. Just Google Lanka and check out their site. I have used this for the Shelby as well as my other cars and it is amazing. Just follow their instructions and your paint chip will be gone. You'll be the only one to know where the repair occurred. Try it...you'll like it.

It wasn't a race just a road ralley and it was on Texas Roads. I really wish I had been smart enough to get a clear bra and a cologne bra. I actually bought the car 3 weeks earlier off the showroom floor. I remember a couple days after buying the car I ran over a tiny stick in my driveway and got out freaking out that it might have scratched my car thank goodness there was no scratch. Little did I know what was about to happen a few weeks later. I guess when you get caught up in the moment nothing else matters. I know my car will look like new again soon. I figured I should post some pictures to let everybody know what can happen when you follow to close in a ralley. It really is smart to tape up the entire front end with painters tape

SO I know west TX is dry and rough but did you drive through a sandblaster or something? That's horrible! :cry:

LMAO LMAO.gif

Those were just probably from the grasshoppers...

BTW...great tip....if you do get a front end of bugs... wet it down with warm or hot water if you can, then wet a cotton towel well and work baking soda into to make a paste, gently pat (not scrub) the entire area down with the bugs and let sit a couple minutes, then with clean wet cotton towels gently wipe the bugs off (trust me, they will fall right off, but keep using clean towels), it will not mare your finish nor remove your wax, then rinse and rinse and rinse. Dark car owners, rinse a few more times....LOL

95% of what sticks to your finish of a bug is acid based, baking soda neutralizes it instantly.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Keith

Did you ever get your chip fixed? Here's mine.

chip.jpg

Archived