TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moroso coolant expansion tank install

Photo 1 -

Remove small clamp and hose at top of original tank.

Remove 2 bolts at front of tank.

Photo 2 -

Using channel locks, remove large clamp and hose from bottom of original tank.

Before doing this, I pulled the tank (still connected to the bottom hose) as far as I could and held it over a clean bucket.

This way, when I was done with the swap, I could re-use my coolant.

Photo 3 -

Keep two hoses about same height, or the lower hose will start dumping coolant like crazy.

post-20883-1233193422.jpg

post-20883-1233193508.jpg

post-20883-1233193548.jpg

post-20883-1233193422.jpg

post-20883-1233193508.jpg

post-20883-1233193548.jpg

Photo 1 -

I used this opportunity to clean the areas covered by the tank, since there was a lot of dirt built up.

Photo 2 -

Again, using channel locks, connect the big clamp and hose to the bottom of the new tank.

Photo 3 -

Do yourself a favor and while installing the 2 bolts to the front of the new tank, don't drop one down this hole.

Photo 4 -

If you do, you'll be needing one of these.

post-20883-1233193749.jpg

post-20883-1233193821.jpg

post-20883-1233193857.jpg

post-20883-1233193894.jpg

post-20883-1233193749.jpg

post-20883-1233193821.jpg

post-20883-1233193857.jpg

post-20883-1233193894.jpg

As far as I know, it's simply a cosmetic upgrade.

I really like the look of it, But I couldn't stand looking at the stock, bulbous, black plastic tank.

This thing cleans up the front of the engine bay pretty nicely IMO.

If you buy one, MMR has the best price that I could find FYI.

Ken

I found this description...

Direct bolt-in replacement for stock 2-piece plastic tanks. Fabricated aluminum for strength, factory tanks fail after repeated high heat situations such as drag or road racing. This Aluminum tank can be polished, chromed, powder coated or left as is for a race look. Uses factory stock vented cap, bleeds pressure like the factory intended.

Hay, it's hot here in AZ.... purchase justified! :hysterical:

So, with the Morso tanks you can use your old caps? I installed a Canton and FU because you have to use a regular radiator cap, not your Shelby ones.

So, with the Morso tanks you can use your old caps? I installed a Canton and FU because you have to use a regular radiator cap, not your Shelby ones.

The Shelby caps work fine with these tanks. I've got the PS reservoir on order. I'll let you know if there's a problem with the cap.

Ken

Anyone consider anodized black? Will Moroso do that?

I like the overflow and power steering tanks.

Looks nice Ken. Your vista blue SGT looks real sharp.

I haven't seen any black tanks, but I'm sure you could have them coated pretty easily.

Black aluminum tanks would look amazing under the hood of your Hertz, IMO.

And thanks a lot for the compliment! :)

Ken

I got the Moroso power steering fluid reservoir in the mail last night.

It does require me to use their cap. The Shelby cap won't fit. FYI <_<

Ken

I just finished the install of the power steering fluid reservoir. The hoses on this tank were much more difficult to get loose compared to those on the coolant tank.

I can't really think of any way to modify the tank so that my Shelby cap will fit it. The Moroso cap is a threaded style cap, whereas the Shelby cap is a 1/2 twist/lock style cap. Kind of a bummer, but the Moroso cap doesn't look too terrible.

Ken

post-20883-1233816321_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1233816334_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1233816321_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1233816334_thumb.jpg

Guest hfrosso
I installed a Moroso aluminum coolant expansion tank last week. Here's what it looks like out of the box.

Ken

thank's a lot for the info ! it just makes that much ease for me to install looking at your "instructions"

since i dont have a lot of skills when it comes to do that kind of stuff!!

i'm going to by the cooling tank and the power stering, nice looking parts!! :happy feet:

That really completes the look of the two tanks. You say you're done with under hood stuff... you're in denial. :lol2: Admitting to your mod bug is the first step to recovery. :D

LOL no joke! I thought that I might have had you fooled. But the FRPP cam covers just arrived, so I guess I AM in denial. ;)

Ken

thank's a lot for the info ! it just makes that much ease for me to install looking at your "instructions"

since i dont have a lot of skills when it comes to do that kind of stuff!!

i'm going to by the cooling tank and the power stering, nice looking parts!! :happy feet:

Very cool, I'm sure you'll do just fine. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Don't forget to post some pics of your engine bay! :)

Ken

Guest hfrosso
Very cool, I'm sure you'll do just fine. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Don't forget to post some pics of your engine bay! :)

Ken

I will ,just waiting on a bunch of parts,and I'm taking the car to tasca ford this tuesday 10 to get the stripes/hood scoop fixed,some minor body work,going to have installed the start/stop button and 3:73 gears

then i will post some pictures!!!

By the way I just founded these nice looking radiator cover that will match with the moroso cooling tank and everithing alum. under the hood

I just bought one you may want to take a look they're web site is www.mossmuscle.com.

Archived