TEAM SHELBY FORUM

High flow fuel rails?

• 1 month later...
I havent seen the need to upgrade my fuel system I retuned and redynoed my gtsc right @ 512 rwhp the fuel rails are fine no sign of leaning out or flow issues. the aftermrkt fuel rails look good but I dont think performance wise that they are all that.

Thanks for your input.

If anyone has actually installed these, please let me know. I'm curious as to the benefit/gains, disadvantages, and install info.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Is the stock system too small? If stock rails are adequate to eliminate excessive pressure drop then there would be NO bennefit (except the look). If the stock system is too small, then you'd need a retune to cut injector duration to compensate for the better fuel delivery.

Is the stock system too small? If stock rails are adequate to eliminate excessive pressure drop then there would be NO bennefit (except the look). If the stock system is too small, then you'd need a retune to cut injector duration to compensate for the better fuel delivery.

Understood. That's the question I've posed for awhile now.

What is the benefit? Obviously, if the stock rails are flowing max fuel to the injectors, then there is none. That's what no one seems to know.

I've seen some guys that have upgraded just the rails, others that have upgraded just the injectors, and others that have swapped out the entire fuel system. But none of these guys (primarily at shows) have been able to answer the basic question of why they did it and what benefits they've realized from it.

Before investing any time/money into this, I want to know what the benefits are, which rails to go with and why.

Ken

Ken

I installed the MMR billet rails. There was definitely improvements from a driveability standpoint. I had read that under full boost, there is a fuel pressure issue with the right side due to the tiny fuel crossover line.

Dyno before - 480 rwhp / 469 rwtrq

Dyno after - 511 rwhp / 503 rwtrq (I also added KR muffs, Steeda idler pulleys and McLeod twin disk clutch)

Michael

Ken

I installed the MMR billet rails. There was definitely improvements from a driveability standpoint. I had read that under full boost, there is a fuel pressure issue with the right side due to the tiny fuel crossover line.

Dyno before - 480 rwhp / 469 rwtrq

Dyno after - 511 rwhp / 503 rwtrq (I also added KR muffs, Steeda idler pulleys and McLeod twin disk clutch)

Michael

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot Michael

Ken

• 1 month later...

Well I finally decided to buy some rails. I went with these BBK blue anodized rails. I purchased them from Sacramento Mustang. Apparently, it includes all fittings and hardware necessary for a plug and play install.

bbk-5017_w.jpg

I'll post an install guide whenever they show up (hopefully Monday). At some point before I add the Paxton, I'll install 60 lb injectors also. Does anyone have a good source on injectors? Brand? Thanks for any further info.

Ken

don't new injectors and pumps come with the Novi kit? or are you planning on building it piece by piece to your liking?

I'll use the pump with the Novi kit, but I've heard that the injectors with the kit won't support the power I'll be making.

Ken

how much power do you think your going to get from the Novi? we just pulled 579.4rwhp on 39lb injectors and stock fuel rails, we maxed out on the injectors. monday we will install 80lb injectors, FR TB and the FR 123mm MAF.

how much power do you think your going to get from the Novi? we just pulled 579.4rwhp on 39lb injectors and stock fuel rails, we maxed out on the injectors. monday we will install 80lb injectors, FR TB and the FR 123mm MAF.

With 8-9 lbs of boost, I'll be making over 650HP at the crank, according to the online boost calculators.

Unless you are making significantly more HP then most of us fuel rails are purely cosmetic.

I'm at 425 crank HP now and planning on adding a Paxton Novi in the short term future.

I'm trying to upgrade every component of my fuel system before the Paxton arrives. The #1 source of problems with boost on the 3V that I've heard and read about have been related to fuel starvation, running too lean, detonation to the point of destruction, etc.

I'm simply trying to cover all of my bases before I slam a whole ton of power to my 3V.

Ken

With 8-9 lbs of boost, I'll be making over 650HP at the crank, according to the online boost calculators.

I'm at 425 crank HP now and planning on adding a Paxton Novi in the short term future.

I'm trying to upgrade every component of my fuel system before the Paxton arrives. The #1 source of problems with boost on the 3V that I've heard and read about have been related to fuel starvation, running too lean, detonation to the point of destruction, etc.

I'm simply trying to cover all of my bases before I slam a whole ton of power to my 3V.

Ken

are you running stock fuel pump?

Well I finally decided to buy some rails. I went with these BBK blue anodized rails. I purchased them from Sacramento Mustang. Apparently, it includes all fittings and hardware necessary for a plug and play install.

bbk-5017_w.jpg

I'll post an install guide whenever they show up (hopefully Monday). At some point before I add the Paxton, I'll install 60 lb injectors also. Does anyone have a good source on injectors? Brand? Thanks for any further info.

Ken

I'm going with the Metco kit.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MFR2005P

Those are the biggest rails I found and they look really nice.

I went with the BBK for the price/look and I figured 5/8" ID compared to 11/16" wasn't a huge deal for me.

Did you install yours yet? Pics?

Ken

Just got it ordered yesterday along with the adapter and the fuel block,might wait and have them installed with my new shortblock. Metco is pricey but everthing I have gotten from them has been top notch.

Jeff

Just got it ordered yesterday along with the adapter and the fuel block,might wait and have them installed with my new shortblock. Metco is pricey but everthing I have gotten from them has been top notch.

Jeff

Very cool, I'm sure you'll like them. Get some pics up after the install!

Ken

I got the BBK rails installed today. Nothing seals properly. The o-rings included in the kit are too big. The machined holes for the pressure sender mount are messed up.

They sure do look pretty, but these are going back to Sac Mustang for a refund asap. Looks like the Metco kit is in my near future.

Ken

Archived