TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Applying Hood Stripes

I've just had the dealer replace my hood scoop and stripes, which were wrinkled at all four corners of the scoop. The new scoop looks nice, except for a paint chip on the side. The new stripes are nice, smooth, and centered, but the center gap varies by quite a bit. It starts too wide at the top, gets even wider by the front of the scoop, then narrows down on the nose, like the stripes are cross-eyed or something. It's very obvious up close, and somehow even worse at a distance. I'm having the dealership re-do the whole thing. Aren't the Shelby stripes supposed to be tapered to prevent this problem? Every set of stock SGT stripes I've seen have had a consistent gap from bumper to bumper, but many dealer added stripes tend to bow around curves. What's the secret? Stretching them taut? Using tapered vinyl? I would just like to give the dealership a heads-up so we don't end up in round three. Thanks.

No trick, just have them painted on! :drool:

No, actually, there is a technique to it, as I discovered when I put my pit stripes on. Someone posted here, (or on the old forum), a method where they took the hood off, brought it indoors, (where it was warm), then carefully laid out the stripe position by outlining the location with pin-striping. Because it was warm, and using lots of soapy water, it was easier to manipulate the larger stripes and make them "give" and or stretch around the curves and creases of the hood and line up with the layout stripes.

That's the technique I used with the smaller pit stripes, but it was still tricky working them over the body creases on the quarter panel and ensuring they stayed parallel!

Someone skilled, that takes their time, is probably the main thing! Unfortunately, it's something that's sadly lacking at most dealerships and even some body shops!

Good Luck!

Sam

AKA:

Someone skilled, that takes their time, is probably the main thing! Unfortunately, it's something that's sadly lacking at most dealerships and even some body shops!

Bingo.

Unfortunately, this is an oft told tale...including my own. The Shelby stripes are not tapered in any way, they just have to be very carefully coaxed, prodded and begged to follow a uniform separation. This difficult task is often compounded when the rookie dealer tries to place the windshield nozzle cut-outs flush ag'in the nozzles themselves.

By the way, the uneven separation is not just a hood problem. More often than not (again, including my dealer's first try), you'll often find the same defect on the front fascia and the roof.....if not on all around!

Good luck, and you're in good company. This too shall pass.

I've just had the dealer replace my hood scoop and stripes, which were wrinkled at all four corners of the scoop. The new scoop looks nice, except for a paint chip on the side. The new stripes are nice, smooth, and centered, but the center gap varies by quite a bit. It starts too wide at the top, gets even wider by the front of the scoop, then narrows down on the nose, like the stripes are cross-eyed or something. It's very obvious up close, and somehow even worse at a distance. I'm having the dealership re-do the whole thing. Aren't the Shelby stripes supposed to be tapered to prevent this problem? Every set of stock SGT stripes I've seen have had a consistent gap from bumper to bumper, but many dealer added stripes tend to bow around curves. What's the secret? Stretching them taut? Using tapered vinyl? I would just like to give the dealership a heads-up so we don't end up in round three. Thanks.

Verify the replacement stripes are from SPP and not knock-offs to save them $$$! You can call the Ford Racing warranty line and confirm. The stripes are supposed to be 1" apart ALL THE WAY DOWN. If the dealer has issues recommend they sub it out to a "real" auto graphics shop. I have had my stripes redone 4 times due to incorrect work post scoop installs etc. Tell them you want to approve the stripes BEFORE they put the scoop back on.

Archived