TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cold Turkey

Pastor Passum

Just looking for some pity I guess :D I've been puttin' up with an arthritic left knee for several years now and am scheduled to have total knee replacement Tuesday morning. I'm not too worried about the surgery. I've got a really good surgeon. Problem is when I asked him how long before I'd be able to drive he said probably 2 weeks. I thought, that's not too bad...then he said "unless you drive a stick shift, then it will be 6 weeks if all goes well" :banghead: I told him it was a Shelby with a really easy clutch. It was like trying to talk a LEO out of a ticket, no sympathy at all. Gawd, 6 weeks is a long time. You guys that live up north and have to store your cars for several months, I don't know how you stand it. I do have a truck I can drive but that's not the same. I'll probably spend a lot of time in the garage thinking about mods and road trips and.....Y'all have fun with yours. Thank God for computors and the internet and this site. :dreamy:

Jim

Good luck with you knees, been under the knife for knees myself, so I know what you will go through. I am one of them owners that has to store the Shelby for a few months, it sucks. I did take it out last week, but back in the garage all covered up now. Good luck!

Just looking for some pity I guess :D I've been puttin' up with an arthritic left knee for several years now and am scheduled to have total knee replacement Tuesday morning. I'm not too worried about the surgery. I've got a really good surgeon. Problem is when I asked him how long before I'd be able to drive he said probably 2 weeks. I thought, that's not too bad...then he said "unless you drive a stick shift, then it will be 6 weeks if all goes well" :banghead: I told him it was a Shelby with a really easy clutch. It was like trying to talk a LEO out of a ticket, no sympathy at all. Gawd, 6 weeks is a long time. You guys that live up north and have to store your cars for several months, I don't know how you stand it. I do have a truck I can drive but that's not the same. I'll probably spend a lot of time in the garage thinking about mods and road trips and.....Y'all have fun with yours. Thank God for computors and the internet and this site. :dreamy:

Jim

Hey Jim, good luck with that knee surgery and Shelby withdraw. I don't know how the snowbirds do it either! ;)

Ken

I think when you live up north you really start to value your car much more than living in the south. I've lived in both climates so can speak from experience in each. When you can drive the car year round you have a tendency to get a little comfortable with the car and it seems slower and slower all the time no matter how much hp you have. When you live up north, every spring seems like you got a new car and it's very exciting to get it out each spring and enjoy it all summer. Since I drive a F250 diesel as my primary vehicle needless to say getting in any of my Mustangs in the spring is like a big kick in the pants, though the diesel is really no slouch either, but I don't drive it like I do the cars. :)

Jim

Oh, do I know what you mean! I've only driven my 08 GT/SC once in the last 2 months due to my nerve damage in my lower spine and the pain is so severe that the stock Mustang GT seats just hurt way too much! This factor is also leaning me towards buying the Cobra seats by Sube Sports as the overall support is just superior.

When a doctor says six weeks he means 3 weeks, go for it!

Jim

Well I hate to break some bad news to you but I just had ACL reconstruction surgery at the beginning of November last year and it was almost 5 weeks to the day that I could even bend my knee enough to get it into the car without too much pain let alone drive stick, and it's a light clutch too in my 97 Grand Am. (winter car)

Perhaps a total replacement will be better though, I have no idea. My doctor also mentioned it would be 6 weeks before I could drive again, but me being me pushed it a bit.

And yes, I live up in mid central saskatchewan, so a few months out of the year the car is parked anyways and it does suck. Crappy thing is I figured by November it would be too snowy to drive the Shelby anyways, but when I was up and around on crutches finally after a couple of weeks, I saw that November decided to be beautiful and snow free while I was stuck in the house with a splint. Doh!

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes as well as the offer to drive my car, rent me an auto, and Michael, I haven't found a woman that would have me in 62 years...chances aren't too good that I'll find a wife before tomorrow morning but good idea anyway. I do have a good buddy that'll chauffer me around enough to keep the battery charged though :yahoo: Hopefully I'll have a lap top in the hospital so I can keep up with the site. Again, thanks and have a great week.

Jim

I'm sorry to hear about your knee and I hope surgery went well. But to put things in perspective, Ohio has had a rough winter and my amazing car has been in the garage, with stabile, a cover, a battery tender, and tires filled to 45psi since early November. I'm dying to drive so bad I have to convince myself everyday to leave her alone. So... I feel for you but, by the time I take her out, it will have been 5 months. :banghead:

Jim,

Hope surgery goes/went well...Don't push yourself too much...listen to the Doctors...you don't want to NEVER be able to drive the stick again now do ya? Time will go by quicker than you think...just get out there and polish her in the garage as much as your knee will let you. Again, speedy recovery and take care!

Carl

Hey Doc:

Hope your surgery went well. I watched my mother-in-law go through that same surgery at age 65. I recommend that you keep up with the physical therapy. I am sure it will be tough, but you can handle it.

As far as the Shelby...six weeks is nothing. Last time I had mine out of the garage was November 2, 2008. (My daughters 18th b-day). Going on on 11 weeks here.

Oh I have gone out and started her a few times just to hear the pipes and enjoy the sound...doesn't hurt to run it up to temp and keep the engine lubed but she has not been out of the garage.

Hey Doc:

Hope your surgery went well. I watched my mother-in-law go through that same surgery at age 65. I recommend that you keep up with the physical therapy. I am sure it will be tough, but you can handle it.

As far as the Shelby...six weeks is nothing. Last time I had mine out of the garage was November 2, 2008. (My daughters 18th b-day). Going on on 11 weeks here.

Oh I have gone out and started her a few times just to hear the pipes and enjoy the sound...doesn't hurt to run it up to temp and keep the engine lubed but she has not been out of the garage.

That was the same day I last had mine out. *sniff*

I went out and charged er up and started it up the other day though so that made me feel better. =)

Hey Guys, I'm back...to bad the site hasn't been up. Best I can tell it went down just after my surgery. Everything went well until I, my body, was to wake up. Everything did except for my digestive system. I developed an ileus, meaning the intestines got lazy and didn't want to wake up. Anyway after 3 days of laxatives, prune juice totties and unknown numbers of SUPOSITORIES things finally started working and they gave me my first food by mouth in 4 days. I came home Saturday afternoon looking forward to getting back on the forum. Some things you don't know how important they are until they're gone. Anyway it seems to be back up now although very slow. I appreciate all the well wishes and thoughts and prayers. What a great group of friends here. Enjoy the week and those of you lucky enough to get to drive your Shelby's, I envy you. Five more weeks should go by fast.

Jim

Jim,

When you feel up to it, please give us an update on your surgery and current recovery.

Do follow the Dr's instructions and PT when that begins.

A buddy and I had knee surgery (not as extensive as yours) ~10 years ago the same week. I followed Dr's orders, he did not. My recovery was complete and knee was better than before the surgery. He pushed it too early and ended up messing up not only that knee, but the other one too. Ended up with two more surgeries......

Hopefully you are at least able to go to the garage to check on your SGT.

Living in the beautiful Northwest my SGT spends the better part of the winter months inside, patiently waiting for an infrequent nice day and finally spring.

Lg

Jim,

When you feel up to it, please give us an update on your surgery and current recovery.

Do follow the Dr's instructions and PT when that begins.

A buddy and I had knee surgery (not as extensive as yours) ~10 years ago the same week. I followed Dr's orders, he did not. My recovery was complete and knee was better than before the surgery. He pushed it too early and ended up messing up not only that knee, but the other one too. Ended up with two more surgeries......

Hopefully you are at least able to go to the garage to check on your SGT.

Living in the beautiful Northwest my SGT spends the better part of the winter months inside, patiently waiting for an infrequent nice day and finally spring.

Lg

Hi Lg, a quick update on my surgery and rehab. The actual surgery seems to have gone very well with the only post surgery problem having to do with coming off the anesthesia. but once the digestive system got on track all has gone well. I began rehab while still in the hospital, the day after surgery :eek5: It's one of those things that you dread, almost to the point of making yourself sick, until it's over and then you realize "no big deal".

I've been home 6 days now and while it's been no picnic each day things just get a little easier, being able to do simple things that I couldn't do the day before. I'm off the coumadin as of today. That meant a 3 times per week visit by the nurse for blood work...done. The physical therapist will come 3 days a week for however long is required and then I'll go eleswhere for PT. I'm following the Dr's orders to the T. I don't want to have to repeat this. At this point, about a week and a half out of surgery I'm about where I was when I went in so far as mobility. I had been on cruthches for the last 3 or 4 months prior to surgery. Walking does produce more pain but that is subsiding every day. And hey, hydrocodone makes all that pretty sweet anyway. Speaking of which, please forgive any rambling or other wierdness with this reply. The drugs tend to hang on and I'm only partially responsible for anything I say here.

All in all the experience has been positive up to this point. I see the Surgeon in about a week for post op review and hopefully the pain pills will be a thing of the past by then. I must say they do help with this slow site. Click on a thread, drift off somewhere and when I come back...it's waiting for me instead of me waiting on it :happy feet: I did spend a few quality minutes in the garage with the Shelby today. That in itself makes everything just a little bit better :shift:

Jim

...hopefully the pain pills will be a thing of the past by then. I must say they do help with this slow site. Click on a thread, drift off somewhere and when I come back...it's waiting for me instead of me waiting on it :happy feet: I did spend a few quality minutes in the garage with the Shelby today. That in itself makes everything just a little bit better :shift:

Jim

Jim,

Its good to hear that your recovery is heading in the right direction.

Indeed you currently may have the advantage over the rest of us to deal with the slowness of the TS site these days.

Hopefully you will get the all clear for no pain meds from your Dr and TS will be up to speed once again.

Anytime with your Shelby is good time for sure.

Lg.

Archived