TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your First Ticket In.....

HORSBYT

Well, it happened. Early Saturday morning (we're talking 5:30 AM) I turn on to a fairly open stretch of road near my house. It's Saturday morning, NOBODY is out, it's early. I make a left turn onto the open road ahead of me and lay into the gas pedal. In no time i'm doing about 80mph. Then, I notice it. There's a regional park on the left-hand side with the entry way and in the early morning darkness I see the parking lights. I immediately let off the gas and pull gently up on the e-brake to slow down. Too late, 84mph and wiz right past what in the darkness I make out to be a patrol car. I see his headlights come on in the rearview and realize.... Busted! I continue to slow with the e-brake and wait for that dreaded "red" light and blip! There it is! I turn on my signal to pull over into the shoulder. I stop the engine, roll down both windows (that power featured to roll down both at the same time is handy!) and put both hands on the steering wheel. It's early morning, I know these guys deal with alot of idiots to which i'm not one, so i'm going to make the guy comfortable. He approaches me on the driver side and he says, "Where you going in such a hurry?" I said, "Good Morning officer, I'm headed down to Irvine for a car show." to which he responds, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" I looked at my speedo and at him and said, "I believe 80." to which he responds, "84." So exact, obviously had the radar out. He asks for the obvious documents. After some time he returns to have me sign his ticket book. However, before he hands it to me he explains, "This isn't the ticket I should be giving you. I've written it as 19 mph over and not 20mph so you can at least be able to do traffic school and not get hit with the point." To that, I agreed and thanked him. I signed the document and handed him back his ticket book. He said, "Be careful, you know there's a lot of traffic fatalities due to high performance cars like this." I said, "I understand and I will be careful, thank you." He looked around the inside of the car one last time and on the outside and popped his head back down and said, "I'm sure it's very easy to do 80mph without realizing it in this car." To that I smiled and said, "Yes, yes it is!"

I'm bummed. First ticket i've had in YEARS!!!!! It's 6 months after getting the SGT! Hahaha, how did I know this was coming! So begins the research for a radar detector!!! Haha!

Well, it happened. Early Saturday morning (we're talking 5:30 AM) I turn on to a fairly open stretch of road near my house. It's Saturday morning, NOBODY is out, it's early. I make a left turn onto the open road ahead of me and lay into the gas pedal. In no time i'm doing about 80mph. Then, I notice it. There's a regional park on the left-hand side with the entry way and in the early morning darkness I see the parking lights. I immediately let off the gas and pull gently up on the e-brake to slow down. Too late, 84mph and wiz right past what in the darkness I make out to be a patrol car. I see his headlights come on in the rearview and realize.... Busted! I continue to slow with the e-brake and wait for that dreaded "red" light and blip! There it is! I turn on my signal to pull over into the shoulder. I stop the engine, roll down both windows (that power featured to roll down both at the same time is handy!) and put both hands on the steering wheel. It's early morning, I know these guys deal with alot of idiots to which i'm not one, so i'm going to make the guy comfortable. He approaches me on the driver side and he says, "Where you going in such a hurry?" I said, "Good Morning officer, I'm headed down to Irvine for a car show." to which he responds, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" I looked at my speedo and at him and said, "I believe 80." to which he responds, "84." So exact, obviously had the radar out. He asks for the obvious documents. After some time he returns to have me sign his ticket book. However, before he hands it to me he explains, "This isn't the ticket I should be giving you. I've written it as 19 mph over and not 20mph so you can at least be able to do traffic school and not get hit with the point." To that, I agreed and thanked him. I signed the document and handed him back his ticket book. He said, "Be careful, you know there's a lot of traffic fatalities due to high performance cars like this." I said, "I understand and I will be careful, thank you." He looked around the inside of the car one last time and on the outside and popped his head back down and said, "I'm sure it's very easy to do 80mph without realizing it in this car." To that I smiled and said, "Yes, yes it is!"

I'm bummed. First ticket i've had in YEARS!!!!! It's 6 months after getting the SGT! Hahaha, how did I know this was coming! So begins the research for a radar detector!!! Haha!

Got mine last Septemer, 75 in a 45(30 over = 4pts and $294 ticket), It could have been a lot worse since he got me from 900’ away , which is about when I saw him and got off the gas and on the brakes. There was a ricer with a loud fart muffler pulling in the parts store as I was leaving and he was revving his engine at me and I let it get to me so when the light changed I turned onto the four lane and got on it hard and there he was, sitting at the bottom of the hill. He was a fairly nice guy and told me that he could have taken me to jail and even worse, have my car towed since I was 30 over the limit, but since I was not driving recklessly it was left up to his discretion. I should have bought a detector long ago and after reading this post I think I will start looking for one too.

Jeff

Got mine back on March '08. Only had the car for 2 months. Got me going 85 in a 65. I think it was just selective ticketing. I was in the slow lane of a four lane divided hiway. Just keeping up with traffic. The cop was a total ass. I was very polite. I knew I was speeding, knew I deserved the ticket.

He threatened to have my car impounded because it wasn't properly registered. I still had 16 days left on my temporary registation. After keeping me sitting there for over 30 minutes, he finally gave me the ticket and sent me off with a warning to "obey the posted speed limits on HIS hiway".

A friend of mine recommends the Beltronics line of RD's.

Check out the Valentine V1. Very hard to beat. Being on several motorcycle forums most of the guys I ride with for years have run the V1's. They're a little pricey but 1 ticket that results in insurance points would easily pay for it.

Jim

Get the "TRAFFIC ENGINEERING SURVEY" for that section of road.......If the posted speed limit is not justified by the survey

or if their is no survey, it qualifies as a "SPEED TRAP" which is illegal in California and can be used to beat the ticket..........

Look up "TRIAL BY DECLARATION" on the web brouser..........Good Luck.........

The Valentine One is the only detector I will ever recommend...

Strangely enough, my Shelby is not the car I tend to speed in - since the sound and feel remind me of the power and velocity going on.

I got clocked at 84 in a 55 in my Grand Cherokee though.

6am, clear August Satuday morning on an empty Interstate.

Smooth, quiet, straight line...

After that, I admitted to myself that the Jeep was the best car to leave the V1 in...

BTW, to answer the question: $450. Not the V1, the cost of that infraction... :cry:

Jer

Having a black SGT :drool: (fastest color), I'm lucky I haven't been caught yet. My town will pull over a Geo Metro for 1 MPH over so I never even get up to the limit around home. Not in a cop magnet like a SGT. Besides, there can be too many kids and dogs near neighborhoods. I limit my higher speed runs :shift: to the open freeways west and south of Salt Lake. Not to say I might get up to the limit faster than the guy next to me at a light. :happy feet:

I bought a Cobra :snake: radar detector when I was muscle car shopping 18 months ago, before I bought my SGT. It might not be the most expensive or the fanciest but I have never even been pulled over since I installed it. It can "see" in all four directions. It has gone off more than once where I don't see a speed trap.

I know it has saved me more than once.

Got my ticket last spring. It was a Sat. morning, light traffic, 3 lanes on each side of traffic. I had been rolling through about 3 intersections right along side a Jaguar. There was this stupid mid 20's kid driving what had to be his dads car and he was very proud of that fact. He taunted me and shot looks for a good 5 -10 minutes, just looking for street race. I normally resist such invites. After about the 4th light I had had enough. We were both in the front of red light traffic and I decided that I was gonna hand this guy his lunch. Light turned green and well as you might expect the SGT was about 2 car lengths ahead before I crossed the intersection. We continued for about one second more, then I spotted a patrol bike.

I actually saw the officer raise his radar gun and before he had it up and on me, I was on the breaks, hard enough to dip the nose but not to look as though I was at any point out of control of the car. I was way ahead of the Jag so I knew I was going to get busted, I slowed the car and pulled up to the officer in a way that said "yeah, I know I am getting a ticket". The Jag goes buy with the kid ducked way down and not making any eye contact. The office walks up, kinda fast and very pissed off. He has both hands over his head like a grizzly and is semi shouting "REALLY? REALLY? Did I JUST see you street racing in my city?!" -oh boy I thought. I said well yes I guess you did. He takes a quick look, regains composure and then says well- was it worth it? How do you feel? I said, "Well- I won! But I am not sure I am going to like the prize!" This kinda made him smile a little, I could see he was a little amused.

Next he does something kinda cool I thought. He asks me if I do this sort of thing often. I say nope, hardly ever and proceed to explain the circumstances of this particular deal. He replies, Okay lets play a little game of truth here. I am going to run your record and see if you have a habit of this kind of speeding ticket, if I see that you have a history I am going to nail you to the wall on this infraction today. If you have none (like you say) I am going to cut you a break... Not let you off, but cut you a break. He goes, checks, comes back and says you win! You told me the truth, writes the ticket for half the amount of miles over, saves me from any points! Close call! Then now that business is all over he takes a second more to look over the car and admire it. He then says "this is a fine Shelby Mustang! What you should do is get on this freeway entrance about a mile up the road and on your right... It's a long open entrance and there is no set limit for this on ramp. Go hit that and I am sure you can get her to go 85 90 before you have to merge into traffic. It's my favorite place to test drive cars from dealerships! I was shocked. It was good advice, but after my narrow escape from a much larger ticket and a potential impound, I was done for the day.

The last moving violation was in 1976, speeding, he clocked me with his car, I shoulda fought that one. But on the bright side I was just pulled over the other day and given a warning for a yellow light. :shift:

mine was the first 2 weeks i had the car, i still had the temp tags on it... i was driving down a highway and i just hit that break in period and had to see what she had then i come ova a hill and payed the price for it. 65 in a 55 ticket and a detention for being late for school.. :-( the very next day i bought a radar detector (its a cheapy cobra)

I'm actually kind of bummed about the whole thing. I really didn't want to deal with the whole ticket process. I don't consider myself a "bat-outta-hell" type of driver. It was early and a VERY open section of road. I guess i'm kicking myself because the most UNLIKELY place is where I got it. I must admit i've been a little gun-shy with the throttle since then. I really don't want to rack up a bunch of tickets in this thing. I can't even remember the last time I was sighted for ANYTHING. I know, be careful, obey the speed limit, but it's just not the same. My SGT BEGSSSSS me to lay into her! Radar is definitely the next "mod." Well, almost the next... very soon.

I got stopped TODAY at lunchtime on lonely old HWY 20 outside of Colusa, CA.

It was a CHP and he clocked me at 71 in a 55 (hey, I have to drive a long way to get a burger out here!).

He asked for the usual stuff, license and reg and all that, then disappeared for a few minutes.

He came back with my paperwork and asked me about the car. "That a REAL Shelby?" he asked. "Yes sirree, it's even numbered," I replied.

He asked a few questions about the engine and performance, whether I ever tracked it, and why I would drive it on a dusty 2 lane highway, then he told me to keep it under 60 out here. NO TICKET. I was happy to be alive and driving 55 back to work! :)

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hire an attorney for every ticket. Drive how you want (safely of course) and never get convicted of any speeding charges. Seriously hire an attorney EVERY TIME. I have many attorney friends and they all agree....ask one! And remember be nice to the officer writing the ticket its a tough job, and you will probably win in court anyway.

Hire an attorney for every ticket. Drive how you want (safely of course) and never get convicted of any speeding charges. Seriously hire an attorney EVERY TIME. I have many attorney friends and they all agree....ask one! And remember be nice to the officer writing the ticket its a tough job, and you will probably win in court anyway.

Good advice Mccoy. It's usually cheaper that way and always good to be able to honestly say I don't have any violations on my record. By the way Mc, you guys get over the snow thing you were having before the server crashed? Between that and all the Ice problems in Kentucky and Ark. I hope our Team Shelby brothers and Sisters are all OK.

Jim

Good advice Mccoy. It's usually cheaper that way and always good to be able to honestly say I don't have any violations on my record. By the way Mc, you guys get over the snow thing you were having before the server crashed? Between that and all the Ice problems in Kentucky and Ark. I hope our Team Shelby brothers and Sisters are all OK.

Jim

Hey Jim-Thanks! Yeah we did, was shoving snow off our boat, that was a trip one big drift of snow. SGT stayed in garage. Not alot of snow for NY but alot for us...

OK for the lawyer hiring guy.....it doesnt always work. Heres my story. I grabbed it from another post i have in the tech section talkin abot o2 sensors. No one has a better story than me and im willin to bet that to the end. Hope u guys enjoyed. This was a reply to someone who asked me to confirm i went to JAIL for speedin after me and colin were bustin chops about it a lil........

Yup. I was followed by a totally unmarked car for five miles at 85 in a 55 on a back highway. My car was three days old and i was super protective of her. After so long i was like forget this person. Im alone and i dont kow where i am so im not givin him a chance to be a creepo. If it was a cop hed have lit me up already. So i sped up a little to about 95 and so did he but no indication he was a cop. So i said f it im out. dropped it 6th to 3rd and left him, laughin about it. I noticed he was tryin to keep so i tried to find a side street and when i turned on the blinker and hit the brakes he turned his visors down and had lights on them. So i pulled over. He wrote me for 120 in a 55. I went to court and they sentenced me to eight months and dropped all but two months of it. Fined me 2 grand on top of it. So i appealed it and went to another judge who threw me in for 22 days and kept the fine the same. So i did 11 days on good behavior and got out. I lost a 6 figure job over it too. Anything over 20 in va and they can give u up to 1 year and a 2500 dollar fine. I argued that i knew i was speeding but i had a clean record, a disabld veteran, honorable discharge, didnt even live in VA, had letters from cops and judges and priests and stuff sayin i was an upstanding member of my community. He didnt care. Put me right in and i havent worked in four months now. Loads of fun. Im currently tryin to find some kind of legal rammification i can take for cruel and unusual but cant seem to find anyhting. I also lost a job offer cuz of it. When they found it on my record they dropped their offer quick. So ya.....great story right? Like i said dont drive in VA. Well at least not fast.....on a side note it didnt help that the cop told hte judge he topped his car out at 120 and i was leavin him like he was parked and i laughed about it kinda....like a snicker i guess....he said thats why he onle wrote it for 120. I didnt get eluding or nothing. Clear road clear day and it was only speeding. No drugs or booze or anything else. Purely speed. Awesome justice system. LOL Steer clear of that place!

So for all of us speeders, dont go fast in VA. Dont even think about it. The judge didnt want to hear anything about me bein spooked. He said i should have called someone and when i said no phone reception he said i shoud have pulled over. Negative! My lawyer sucked and i dont know a lawyer who oculd have done squat about it so u cant depend on them. My advice.....if you are out and u get nailed speeding this way, hit the accelerator and turn on your emergencies before he gets out behind you. If you can do that and then get the car in neautral and out of eye shot pull over jump out and pop the hood. then get out and get under it and claim the throttle stuck due to the electronic throttle by wire. Get a mechanic who is dirty to write u a letter to the judge for a small fee. It works.

On a side note....i have a funny story. I was speeding through georgia in my titan before i bought the cobra. I got nailed doin 87 in a 55. As i was sitting there waiting for him to show up i remembered a comedian tellin a joke about playin the bad boys song that is the theme for cops. I had it on my I pod and was connected to the stereo so i said what the hell right? So i cranked it up all the way and i watched him in the mirror. As he is walkin up i see him crack a smile and he kinda starts struttin to the tune. He comes up and with a smile on his face says can u turn that down? I was like sure and let it down just enough to still hear it. He says where u goin? I said down to the base in pensacola to see my wife and try ot patch things up ith her. He laughs and says U know in all my years i havent ever seen anyone try somethin like that with the music nad im pretty amussed With that andu bein a serviceman i gotta tell ya i cant give u a ticket. He et me go and made me promise id slow it down. I did and didnt get nabbed again but now i alwyas keep that song in my car. Too bad i didnt have it that day in virginia.....Hope u guys like that stuff. Like i said im young and dumb and got a lead foot with a great gt500. maybe 26 year olds shouldnt buy these things.....NAH!

I have been doing my homework on the whole incident. Unfortunately, there's a 55mph sign right about the point I laid into her about 2nd gear and was probably already close to the 80mph range. The only thing i'm unclear about is if he was using radar, he was parked at a downward slope in an unlit area at 5:30 on a Saturday morning. Something about that whole thing stinks to me! I can't remember the last time I saw a cop using radar in the dark??!! The lawyer thing sounds interesting, but really a lawyer for a speeding ticket?? They seem to be a dime a dozen on the internet. And what kind of lawyer defends speeding cases? Sounds a little too Larry H. Parkerish for me.

Anyway, I got my new radar detector today....... so hopefully that will help any future occurances.

I have been doing my homework on the whole incident. Unfortunately, there's a 55mph sign right about the point I laid into her about 2nd gear and was probably already close to the 80mph range. The only thing i'm unclear about is if he was using radar, he was parked at a downward slope in an unlit area at 5:30 on a Saturday morning. Something about that whole thing stinks to me! I can't remember the last time I saw a cop using radar in the dark??!! The lawyer thing sounds interesting, but really a lawyer for a speeding ticket?? They seem to be a dime a dozen on the internet. And what kind of lawyer defends speeding cases? Sounds a little too Larry H. Parkerish for me.

Anyway, I got my new radar detector today....... so hopefully that will help any future occurances.

Go to the local Ferrari dealer. Get wrapping with a salesguy and ask them about traffic attorneys, he will know one worth his weight in gold. Trust me. You will NEVER win on your own unless the officer does not show up, and thats rare.

My record is clean although I have gotten on average about 1 ticket a year which were all sucesssfully defended in court. Not idiot tickets mind you but the 68 in a 60 etc.... Just beacause you got a ticket does not mean you were speeding happens all the time. An attorney out here it is $300-350. But like I said I value my license way more than most. I have been without one for a time about 20 years ago due to guess what speeding!

Do what you like but remember your odds of winning by yourself are almost nil.

Radar is not always right and you were not paced, a Judge who is an attorney will listen to another attorney, people like their own kind and the judge will value your attorneys words as he is playing in the same game. Alone you are some guy with a hot rod driving like a fool in front of an officer. Hire the attorney you will not regret it, been there and done that.

OK for the lawyer hiring guy.....it doesnt always work. Heres my story. I grabbed it from another post i have in the tech section talkin abot o2 sensors. No one has a better story than me and im willin to bet that to the end. Hope u guys enjoyed. This was a reply to someone who asked me to confirm i went to JAIL for speedin after me and colin were bustin chops about it a lil........

Yup. I was followed by a totally unmarked car for five miles at 85 in a 55 on a back highway. My car was three days old and i was super protective of her. After so long i was like forget this person. Im alone and i dont kow where i am so im not givin him a chance to be a creepo. If it was a cop hed have lit me up already. So i sped up a little to about 95 and so did he but no indication he was a cop. So i said f it im out. dropped it 6th to 3rd and left him, laughin about it. I noticed he was tryin to keep so i tried to find a side street and when i turned on the blinker and hit the brakes he turned his visors down and had lights on them. So i pulled over. He wrote me for 120 in a 55. I went to court and they sentenced me to eight months and dropped all but two months of it. Fined me 2 grand on top of it. So i appealed it and went to another judge who threw me in for 22 days and kept the fine the same. So i did 11 days on good behavior and got out. I lost a 6 figure job over it too. Anything over 20 in va and they can give u up to 1 year and a 2500 dollar fine. I argued that i knew i was speeding but i had a clean record, a disabld veteran, honorable discharge, didnt even live in VA, had letters from cops and judges and priests and stuff sayin i was an upstanding member of my community. He didnt care. Put me right in and i havent worked in four months now. Loads of fun. Im currently tryin to find some kind of legal rammification i can take for cruel and unusual but cant seem to find anyhting. I also lost a job offer cuz of it. When they found it on my record they dropped their offer quick. So ya.....great story right? Like i said dont drive in VA. Well at least not fast.....on a side note it didnt help that the cop told hte judge he topped his car out at 120 and i was leavin him like he was parked and i laughed about it kinda....like a snicker i guess....he said thats why he onle wrote it for 120. I didnt get eluding or nothing. Clear road clear day and it was only speeding. No drugs or booze or anything else. Purely speed. Awesome justice system. LOL Steer clear of that place!

So for all of us speeders, dont go fast in VA. Dont even think about it. The judge didnt want to hear anything about me bein spooked. He said i should have called someone and when i said no phone reception he said i shoud have pulled over. Negative! My lawyer sucked and i dont know a lawyer who oculd have done squat about it so u cant depend on them. My advice.....if you are out and u get nailed speeding this way, hit the accelerator and turn on your emergencies before he gets out behind you. If you can do that and then get the car in neautral and out of eye shot pull over jump out and pop the hood. then get out and get under it and claim the throttle stuck due to the electronic throttle by wire. Get a mechanic who is dirty to write u a letter to the judge for a small fee. It works.

On a side note....i have a funny story. I was speeding through georgia in my titan before i bought the cobra. I got nailed doin 87 in a 55. As i was sitting there waiting for him to show up i remembered a comedian tellin a joke about playin the bad boys song that is the theme for cops. I had it on my I pod and was connected to the stereo so i said what the hell right? So i cranked it up all the way and i watched him in the mirror. As he is walkin up i see him crack a smile and he kinda starts struttin to the tune. He comes up and with a smile on his face says can u turn that down? I was like sure and let it down just enough to still hear it. He says where u goin? I said down to the base in pensacola to see my wife and try ot patch things up ith her. He laughs and says U know in all my years i havent ever seen anyone try somethin like that with the music nad im pretty amussed With that andu bein a serviceman i gotta tell ya i cant give u a ticket. He et me go and made me promise id slow it down. I did and didnt get nabbed again but now i alwyas keep that song in my car. Too bad i didnt have it that day in virginia.....Hope u guys like that stuff. Like i said im young and dumb and got a lead foot with a great gt500. maybe 26 year olds shouldnt buy these things.....NAH!

120 in a 55. Dude. At that point your screwed. Next time ask them if they have any rolling papers you can borrow when they come up to the window, I heard that police dig that... :hysterical:

I would also suggest a better attorney...11 days, did you use a public defender or what?

Why did you lose your job? No vacation time left?

Sad story dude....Good luck.

120 in a 55. Dude. At that point your screwed. Next time ask them if they have any rolling papers you can borrow when they come up to the window, I heard that police dig that... :hysterical:

I would also suggest a better attorney...11 days, did you use a public defender or what?

Rolling Papers......Now thats funny I am sure every cop on here is laughing at that line

I lost the job cuz it was in my first 90 days. But i didnt think that owuld happen cuz the company was well aware of the court case before i was even hired. As for the lawyer no i paid 500 bucks for the first case and another five hundred for the appeal. So ya.....as for rolling papers im not retarded i just have a lead foot lol.

I lost the job cuz it was in my first 90 days. But i didnt think that owuld happen cuz the company was well aware of the court case before i was even hired. As for the lawyer no i paid 500 bucks for the first case and another five hundred for the appeal. So ya.....as for rolling papers im not retarded i just have a lead foot lol.

I know hope it all works out dude...

Archived