TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to install TSB 08-24-10 yourself

Grabber

If you have a slight rattle sound at highway speeds sometimes that drives you crazy, then you may need this TSB. If you don't want to hassle with dropping the car off to the dealer and having them work on your car...then do it yourself. It's not hard at all.

You will need to order the new tape pads that go under the edge of the dash at the base of the trim piller. You need to order 2 of them, one for drivers side and one for passenger side. The pieces are $9.22 each, so it will set you back $18.44.

Here is the part number 7R3Z*6321702*A

PillerRattleTSB024.jpg

You need to read through the TSB for installation instructions too.

A_Pillar_Rattle_TSB_08_24_10.pdf

The new pads have a coating that will hold up to the plastic support point under the dash. That support point is causing a rattle in some of our cars. You can install the pad right over the top of the existing pad if it's in your car. I have heard that some cars are missing the pad or the pad is not the right one so you have the rattle.

A_Pillar_Rattle_TSB_08_24_10.pdf

First pull the trim piece off by gently pulling on it 6 inches over from the seam by the seat belt.

PillerRattleTSB022.jpg

PillerRattleTSB023.jpg

Work your way down to the windshield. It will pop right off.

PillerRattleTSB013.jpg

Here is what the back side of the trim looks like. You can see the connectors.

PillerRattleTSB020.jpg

PillerRattleTSB019.jpg

PillerRattleTSB018.jpg

Here's what the piller looks like with the trim removed. You can see the slots that the trim connectors snap into.

PillerRattleTSB013.jpg

This is the area up by the seat belt.

PillerRattleTSB016.jpg

These photos show the exixting pad that was in my car at the dash piller location. I can't get a photo of it but if you lift up on the dash just a little and look under there, you can see the plastic support point that is part of the dash and that is the point that needs to land on top of the new pad. That is what is causing the rattle.

PillerRattleTSB004.jpg

PillerRattleTSB001.jpg

PillerRattleTSB002.jpg

PillerRattleTSB003.jpg

Here is what the new pad looks like. The back is sticky and the middle is foam and the outer side has a tough plastic coating on it.

PillerRattleTSB005.jpg

I suggest cutting off 1/4 inch of the pad so when you go to insert it into position it does not hang up on the sides. It's a small space to put the pad and you are going to just install it on top of your existing pad or if you don't have the pad you need to position it under the plastic support dash point.

PillerRattleTSB010.jpg

You need to peel the backing off and then stick it on a long screw driver so you can reach in and insert the pad. It's very sticky, so make sure you do it right the first time.

PillerRattleTSB006.jpg

PillerRattleTSB007.jpg

You will need to use one hand applying upward pressure on the dash and the other hand will be inserting the pad under the plastic dash support point.

PillerRattleTSB008.jpg

When you put the trim back on, put the trim in by the windshield first and make sure the jamb piece is tucked in like this:

PillerRattleTSB021.jpg

Then you do the passenger side and you are done. It's a 15-20 minute job. 1/2 hour if you take your time.

As always Grabber, great write-up and pictures!

Since new, my car has had the rattle on the passenger side only. For the longest time I thought that the noise was coming from the passenger side vent. After pushing/pulling/stuffing the vent, I came across the TSB a few weeks ago. I removed the A-pillar from that side and sure enough, there was the problem. Being impatient like I tend to be, I decided instead of waiting for the kit from a dealer, I would go to Lowes and buy foam rubber window insulation tape. Two bucks and some change later and the dash and pillar is SILENT!

Now I hear other mysterious noises/rattles that are going to need some figuring out... <_<

The problem with using the tape from Lowes or Home Depot is that it does not have the outer hard plastic coating to prevent the dash point pad from wearing thru the tape and then the noise will be back.

On the under side of the dash in the corner there is a built in plastic point that rides on the metal at the base of the A-Piller. That point needs to ride on top of the special pad that Ford sells. That special pad will not wear through.

Take note.

Thanks Grabber!!! I just got home this morning at 1;30 and that problem drove me crazy for 4000 miles!! and more after the the track shook her up a bit more!! Thanks for posting, Later Mickey

I forgot to post a couple Pic's of what it looks like after you install the new pad over the top of the old pad. Here it is. You can see the new pad is a little skinnier than the old pad because I cut it down 1/4 inch so I could get it in place.

PillerRattleTSB011.jpg

PillerRattleTSB012.jpg

yep no problems, Loved every bit of it!!! Glad to of met everyone and what great pics of all!! I will get my rattle fixed this week too!! have a good week!! Mickey

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Grabber, I'm curious how thick the new pads are. In my pictures you can see that I have the newer insulation under the dash. The molded insulation is not seated against the metal piece the pads go on, (slight gap). But the gap between the dash and the insulation is approx. 2 to 3mm. Will the new pad fill the gap? It looks like the factory just stuck the plastic layer on the insulation. I pick mine up tomorrow so we will see how it goes. $10 per side. Sorry the passenger side pic is a little blurry.

Passenger side: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/redsnake18/?action=view&current=IMG_8150.jpg

Drivers side: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/redsnake18/?action=view&current=IMG_8149.jpg

Grabber, I'm curious how thick the new pads are. In my pictures you can see that I have the newer insulation under the dash. The molded insulation is not seated against the metal piece the pads go on, (slight gap). But the gap between the dash and the insulation is approx. 2 to 3mm. Will the new pad fill the gap? It looks like the factory just stuck the plastic layer on the insulation. I pick mine up tomorrow so we will see how it goes. $10 per side. Sorry the passenger side pic is a little blurry.

Passenger side: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/redsnake18/?action=view&current=IMG_8150.jpg

Drivers side: http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/redsnake18/?action=view&current=IMG_8149.jpg

Install complete. They seemed to have taken up most of the movement in the dash. Applied them right over the top of the insulation. Can't wait to try it out..... when the 20 solid inches of stinking snow melts. It truly has been a long winter.

Archived