Jump to content
TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Monoxide scare


Recommended Posts

Yesterday our Carbon Monoxide alarm went off in the house. My wife called NIPSCO and they were out within 20 minutes. The Tech had a sensor that immediately went off when he entered the house. It was reading over 80ppm through the entire house. He immediately made us open the windows in the house and stay outside until the levels went down. After about 10 minutes we went to each gas appliance until we located the source. It was one of our gas log fireplaces. He said we were lucky we had the detector. I never owned one until last year. Just thought I'd share this so those of you who don't own one may consider one. Cheap piece of mind!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday our Carbon Monoxide alarm went off in the house. My wife called NIPSCO and they were out within 20 minutes. The Tech had a sensor that immediately went off when he entered the house. It was reading over 80ppm through the entire house. He immediately made us open the windows in the house and stay outside until the levels went down. After about 10 minutes we went to each gas appliance until we located the source. It was one of our gas log fireplaces. He said we were lucky we had the detector. I never owned one until last year. Just thought I'd share this so those of you who don't own one may consider one. Cheap piece of mind!

 

 

Glad to here you guys are ok bud....That can be deadly stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny, I was thinking just the other day that it might be a good idea to install one of those in my house. I think maybe now I'll speed up the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where do you place them?

 

I have them on the wall about 2' from the ceiling right beside my smoke detectors.

 

"Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

 

Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up"

 

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswor...codetectors.htm

 

 

 

And with that I hit 3000 posts!

:party2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine was located in the mechanical room plugged into an AC outlet next to the floor. We have natural gas there. I keep my furnace fan on constant so the air circulates throughout the house constantly. This was the reason for the Carbon Monoxide to be throughout the house as bad as it was. As a safety precaution I will be placing one on each floor and my garage since it's heated as well. This was at my Lake House so I am only there on weekends typically. I have a contractor coming out this week to see what the issue with the fireplace is and I'll let you know what it was. I suspect a possible defective heat exchanger or plugged cold air duct that feeds the fresh air to the fireplace. I did notice the fire was blue instead of yellow which indicates a lack of air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you and your family are fine, we went through that scare too. We had a cracked heat exchanger. I now have a detector with battery backup in each bedroom, you want to be awaken if it happens while your asleep! Also the detectors have a life of about 5 years, so you have to replace every so often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday our Carbon Monoxide alarm went off in the house. My wife called NIPSCO and they were out within 20 minutes. The Tech had a sensor that immediately went off when he entered the house. It was reading over 80ppm through the entire house. He immediately made us open the windows in the house and stay outside until the levels went down. After about 10 minutes we went to each gas appliance until we located the source. It was one of our gas log fireplaces. He said we were lucky we had the detector. I never owned one until last year. Just thought I'd share this so those of you who don't own one may consider one. Cheap piece of mind!

:whew: that was close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...
...