TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire change

Hudy

I am spending a lot of time on the road with my Shelby and I am thinking that it may be in my best interest to go to a more balanced tire package that would allow me to rotate the tires from front to rear allowing for a little more mileage out of the tires. I am thinking that I would go to a 275/40-18 tire on all four and keep the factory wheels. Any thoughts out there on this change and/or any experience with this type of change. :headscratch:

You'll have to check their sizes in 18s, but I've really had great luck and am pleased with the Nitto INVO...a noticable quieter tire, better handling and better traction. But then again I'm running 20s.

Just thought you might like to take a look.

Should work fine. In my snooping around the quality tires seem to be directional which will only give you front to rear rotation. Another member found some great Michlin tires in that size. I believe they were Pilot Plus A/S.

Ingram4868 is referring to me. I was tired of sliding around on the factory summer tires this winter on perfectly dry and clear roads due to their lack of adhesion in winter temps. I have ordered a set of Michlin Pilot A/S/pluses for the Shelby. I got the same stock size for the fronts and ordered 275/40ZR18's for the rear. The rears are so close in diamater and width as the factory 285/40 18s that it isn't worth talking about.The tires arrived today and they look awsome! 500 wear factor and AA traction. You can't beat that for a high performance tire. I'm having them installed tomorrow morning, so will let you all know how they respond in 30 degree weather. For more info see my orignal post, ORDERED ALL SEASON TIRES FOR SHELBY (on page 2).

Ingram4868 is referring to me. I was tired of sliding around on the factory summer tires this winter on perfectly dry and clear roads due to their lack of adhesion in winter temps. I have ordered a set of Michlin Pilot A/S/pluses for the Shelby. I got the same stock size for the fronts and ordered 275/40ZR18's for the rear. The rears are so close in diamater and width as the factory 285/40 18s that it isn't worth talking about.The tires arrived today and they look awsome! 500 wear factor and AA traction. You can't beat that for a high performance tire. I'm having them installed tomorrow morning, so will let you all know how they respond in 30 degree weather. For more info see my orignal post, ORDERED ALL SEASON TIRES FOR THE SHELBY (PAGE2).

Just got the Michlin Pilot A/S Plus's installed this morning. Temps are about 38 degrees. They flat hook up at these temps. I can now get all the way into the boost in 2nd gear w/o breaking lose. Couldn't even think of doing that with the Goodyears. They are almost identical to the Goodyears in ride comfort and noise. Extremly good choice for an all season tire for the Shelby. I'm extremely pleased and can now utilize the cars potential without worrying about watching the rear end go by!! Checked the width of the Michlin's against the rear Goodyears and the Michlins are about 1/2 inch narrower than the stock tires. They look great on the car, as well. This is a good choice for anyone who wants to go out and enjoy their Shelby on those crisp clear winter days.

There is a tire you need to check out. It is called a Zeon RS3 and it is the origional equipment tire on the Roush Mustang starting a couple of months ago. It is made by Cooper, meets or exceeds speed ratings and was launched a couple of months ago. Roush had it built especially for them but it can be bought from Cooper distributors. The price is below most anything else out there in its class. I just checked it out here in Florida and found a distributor with them. This tire replaced the B.F. Goodrich and the tire is awsome! Roush is using the 275/40ZR18 on all 4 wheels.

There is a tire you need to check out. It is called a Zeon RS3 and it is the origional equipment tire on the Roush Mustang starting a couple of months ago. It is made by Cooper, meets or exceeds speed ratings and was launched a couple of months ago. Roush had it built especially for them but it can be bought from Cooper distributors. The price is below most anything else out there in its class. I just checked it out here in Florida and found a distributor with them. This tire replaced the B.F. Goodrich and the tire is awsome! Roush is using the 275/40ZR18 on all 4 wheels.

Looks like a great tire. Only draw back is that it is a summer tire, not all season, and therefore would be fine when temps are 70 and above but during cold temps it would respond like many of the other performance tires available for our Shelbys; no traction. For those of us who live in colder climates, an all season radial is best for a year round tire. Good find, though.

Archived