TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Chatter on 08/w New Clutch/Flywheel

500 Blue

Hello I posted this in the flywheel problems 08 thread but I thought I would start a new thread to get more responses and see if this is a common problem or should I take the car in (to do what I don't know). Thank you LuckySnake for posting a response in the other thread. Here is my story.

Just bought an 08. Drove it home over 650 miles and I just got in. It has had a partial TSB preformed, with only the clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing changed. Since it an late build it has the new tranny with the new input shaft. Total mileage right now is 2,500

Zero gear grind, always goes in easy. We took a back way home and did not use one Interstate for 650 miles. I noticed some very slight clutch "chatter" when in first gear at take off. The car would almost have to be at its stall point in order to get the chatter.

I live on a hill and as I was pulling into my house I noticed more chatter then I had felt the previous 650 miles. The new clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing were put in last week and the owner put 100 miles on them before I had arrived to buy/test drive the car.

My question is that is this clutch "chatter" normal when driving slow up a hill in 1st. I thought the ceramic flywheel caused this and since my car now has the new clutch it should not chatter, but it was defiantly noticeable driving up my driveway.

And if it is not normal I want do you think could cause this since the car now has the upgraded clutch. The reason I am posting this question is because I have read it IS and IS NOT normal to have minor 1st gear take off clutch chatter/shudder. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also the input shaft had plenty of lube on it and it did not show any unreasonable wear.

Cheers!

Are you sure this is clutch chatter and not wheel hop? I have to back up a hill out of my garage and util I replaced the upper and lower control arms I was getting a sometimes severe chatter... wheel hop when I let out on the clutch. And I new it wasn't me, I have two other mustangs with 5 speeds and they didn't do it.

Mike

Ok maybe I don't understand the difference in wheel hop and clutch chatter. I thought wheel hop was during a hard take off and it included tire spin. What I am getting is a shudder during slow take offs in 1st and a more moderate shudder when trying to climb my driveway in 1st.

Ok maybe I don't understand the difference in wheel hop and clutch chatter. I thought wheel hop was during a hard take off and it included tire spin. What I am getting is a shudder during slow take offs in 1st and a more moderate shudder when trying to climb my driveway in 1st.

Give the car more throttle to eliminate the chatter and don't ride the clutch.

I had the tranny TSB done recently and have the shudder occassionally in 1st if I don't work the clutch/accelertor just right for a smooth engagement. I think it occurs more now than prior to the TSB; perhaps it will become less prone to this with some milage. IMO this is a normal characteristic of the dual disk ceri-metallic clutch. I don't know why yours would shudder once the clutch is enaged and you're climbing a hill - are you sure it's the same shudder or could it be just additional tranny noise?

I was tired after driving 650 + miles yesterday. I don't remember how I worked the clutch coming up the driveway. I most likely was about half clutch half throttle coming up. All I know is the whole car shook pretty bad. I don't think I would call this tranny noise. It felt the same as a slow take off in 1st when I don't give it enough gas just more extreme. What I hope is that this is a normal characteristic of the dual disk ceri-metallic clutch as you mentioned.

From my research I found some people are getting this after the TSB and others are not. But I have found more then a few who still experience what I think is clutch chatter/shudder so I am hoping this is normal.

I had the tranny TSB done recently and have the shudder occassionally in 1st if I don't work the clutch/accelertor just right for a smooth engagement. I think it occurs more now than prior to the TSB; perhaps it will become less prone to this with some milage. IMO this is a normal characteristic of the dual disk ceri-metallic clutch. I don't know why yours would shudder once the clutch is enaged and you're climbing a hill - are you sure it's the same shudder or could it be just additional tranny noise?

I was tired after driving 650 + miles yesterday. I don't remember how I worked the clutch coming up the driveway. I most likely was about half clutch half throttle coming up. All I know is the whole car shook pretty bad. I don't think I would call this tranny noise. It felt the same as a slow take off in 1st when I don't give it enough gas just more extreme. What I hope is that this is a normal characteristic of the dual disk ceri-metallic clutch as you mentioned.

From my research I found some people are getting this after the TSB and others are not. But I have found more then a few who still experience what I think is clutch chatter/shudder so I am hoping this is normal.

//they are going to tell you it is normal but in reality I do not enjoy the occasional to more than occasional chatter on a mild takeoff. I let my dealer know and stop by everytime I am in the area to let him know it is not such a good thing- when I do a hard take off or leave the starting line at 3000 no chatter at all- but if I did not know the car and were a buyer it would be hard to convince him it is normal- the 2010 is using an organic clutch and maybe if I read right another updated version of our tranny- this goes on and on but I refuse to give in to the dealer. You are not the lone ranger- It seems to be not getting any worse or any problems shifting so if it remains the way it is ocassional is all right- but not correct-

My question is that is this clutch "chatter" normal when driving slow up a hill in 1st. I thought the ceramic flywheel caused this and since my car now has the new clutch it should not chatter, but it was defiantly noticeable driving up my driveway.

And if it is not normal I want do you think could cause this since the car now has the upgraded clutch. The reason I am posting this question is because I have read it IS and IS NOT normal to have minor 1st gear take off clutch chatter/shudder. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also the input shaft had plenty of lube on it and it did not show any unreasonable wear.

Cheers!

My car (an '07 w/11,000 miles), went in for the full TSB service last month. Since I picked it up, I've had a difficult time engaging 1st without some chatter. The only way I've found to avoid this is to give it some more gas and ride the clutch. That gets me started smoothly but it can't be good for the longevity of the clutch and flywheel. Because of the holidays and travel, I have yet to bring it back to the dealer (I'm having a driver's side window issue now -- when it goes up, it immediately retracts -- aggrevating) but, when I do, I'll see what they have to say about the clutch chatter and pass it along.

Unfortunately, I can't do the hill test, I live in Houston -- and we don't have any ;-)

Pulling in a driveway that is on an incline takes some practice but is normal. You have to give it some gas, let the clutch out until it just starts to vibrate, push in the clutch add a little more gas and release the clutch just partially. Did I say it was a PITA.

Ok I drove up and down the driveway a few times before I had to run out of town after work. I think I may be overly paranoid about this Clutch.

It only chattered a little bit when I did not drive it up correctly. I drove a few miles to warm the car up and tried it again. Some chatter but I can go with with only a little. I'm starting to believe this is the high-performance dual-disc clutch and it will taking some getting used to. Much different then my 06 Roush.

Ok I drove up and down the driveway a few times before I had to run out of town after work. I think I may be overly paranoid about this Clutch.

It only chattered a little bit when I did not drive it up correctly. I drove a few miles to warm the car up and tried it again. Some chatter but I can go with with only a little. I'm starting to believe this is the high-performance dual-disc clutch and it will taking some getting used to. Much different then my 06 Roush.

I usually down-shift into first gear once slowed down and fully release the clutch on the street before pulling into and up my driveway. The engine buckles and complains when its slowed down too much, that's when I know to dis-engage the clutch.

I think I may be overly paranoid about this Clutch.

We are all. I have not had an issue with my tranny or clutch which makes me even more paranoid than I should be. Am I one of the lucky ones or will it crap out tomorrow morning on my way for a Starbucks.

With a high-performance dual-disc clutch - there will always be some amount of chatter when engaging 1st. This has nothing to do with the TSB.

There is definitely a 'before and after' difference following the TSB. That is, before my car started exhibiting the symptoms that caused me to take it in for service, it was noticably smoother shifiting into gear than it is now. There also a bit more gear whine than before. The net effect is that the car feels like it has lost some of its previous 'refinement' -- a characterisitc that I was really impressed with when I first drove it, especially given the Shelby's price and performance.

The new flywheel is steel. Your new clutch still has a floating intermediate friction ring with no drive straps. With our clutchs, this feature is what attributes to the slight chatter when engaging at slow speeds. This is NOT a feature with ALL dual disc clutches. Manufactures have found that utilizing a "staged engagement" with a dual disc clutch will make for more manageable daily driving. Basically, the drive straps cause the middle friction ring to move back and forth. As you engage the clutch at low rpm, the first disc will engage, then the second, giving it a 1-2 engagement. When you rev it up and dump the clutch, it will lock them both up at the same time, but it's not shocking the drivetrain every time you ease off the pedal at slow speeds. This concept HAS BEEN incorporated in the 2010 GT500 clutch. Ford also increased the diameter of the clutch discs and changed the friction material of the discs to make them more USER FRIENDLY with the 2010's. At least they're making changes from their learning experiences!!!!!

PS: Same response I gave to your thread on SVT Performance

The new flywheel is steel. Your new clutch still has a floating intermediate friction ring with no drive straps. With our clutchs, this feature is what attributes to the slight chatter when engaging at slow speeds. This is NOT a feature with ALL dual disc clutches. Manufactures have found that utilizing a "staged engagement" with a dual disc clutch will make for more manageable daily driving. Basically, the drive straps cause the middle friction ring to move back and forth. As you engage the clutch at low rpm, the first disc will engage, then the second, giving it a 1-2 engagement. When you rev it up and dump the clutch, it will lock them both up at the same time, but it's not shocking the drivetrain every time you ease off the pedal at slow speeds. This concept HAS BEEN incorporated in the 2010 GT500 clutch. Ford also increased the diameter of the clutch discs and changed the friction material of the discs to make them more USER FRIENDLY with the 2010's. At least they're making changes from their learning experiences!!!!!

PS: Same response I gave to your thread on SVT Performance

That is great for the 2010 car- hopefully- why did it take for engineering over two and one half yerars to admit they made a mistake- which they really have not admited to- their learnigh experience came with a degree and ours- most of us are not engineers- came with a checkbook. The 07-09 gt 500s have a design deffect in the clutch system that statrted with the fllywheel and worked its way back to the tranny. The tsb is a repair for some and a fix for others. It was on our behalf that they were able to have this learnig experience and by the number of people who have had the tsb done more than once the beat goes on. My dealer told me it is a race clutch and should be treated as such- I do my best!

That is great for the 2010 car- hopefully- why did it take for engineering over two and one half yerars to admit they made a mistake- which they really have not admited to- their learnigh experience came with a degree and ours- most of us are not engineers- came with a checkbook. The 07-09 gt 500s have a design deffect in the clutch system that statrted with the fllywheel and worked its way back to the tranny. The tsb is a repair for some and a fix for others. It was on our behalf that they were able to have this learnig experience and by the number of people who have had the tsb done more than once the beat goes on. My dealer told me it is a race clutch and should be treated as such- I do my best!

Valeo is the manufacturer of the clutch. This is the first OEM dual disc clutch ever installed in a Mustang from the factory. Not a bad clutch IMOP but what I don't like about it is that is has a full floating intermediate friction ring which by design will lend itself to some chatter on engagement at low speeds. Question is did Valeo have a strapped intermediate friction ring design clutch available to offer Ford at the time Ford Engineers choose to go with a dual disc set-up???? The design of the OEM nodular iron flywheel really is the culprit for the most part for the TSB Drag. Heat dissipation is terrible!!! Now how much of the drag is attributed to the iron clutch hub rusting with the input shaft-- I don't know. Could this have been avoided? Maybe in a perfect world when everything thought of that can happen can be engineered NOT TO HAPPEN!! LOL I choose to install a Spec Super Twin , SFG5PT, clutch kit in my 725 SS this spring because I believe it is a much better product over the TSB parts. I'll do a write up about my impressions with driveability when new and after broken in. :salute:

Hello I posted this in the flywheel problems 08 thread but I thought I would start a new thread to get more responses and see if this is a common problem or should I take the car in (to do what I don't know). Thank you LuckySnake for posting a response in the other thread. Here is my story.

Just bought an 08. Drove it home over 650 miles and I just got in. It has had a partial TSB preformed, with only the clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing changed. Since it an late build it has the new tranny with the new input shaft. Total mileage right now is 2,500

Zero gear grind, always goes in easy. We took a back way home and did not use one Interstate for 650 miles. I noticed some very slight clutch "chatter" when in first gear at take off. The car would almost have to be at its stall point in order to get the chatter.

I live on a hill and as I was pulling into my house I noticed more chatter then I had felt the previous 650 miles. The new clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing were put in last week and the owner put 100 miles on them before I had arrived to buy/test drive the car.

Cheers!

TSB 08-16-4 Publication date July 28, 2008. Just had mine done and whoooaaaa!!! boy what a difference! A whole new driving experience. :shift:

Archived