TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help removing the gauge cluster

Unlike many SGT owners, my SGT came with the plain jane steering wheel and gauge cluster. I found a great deal on a Bullitt steering wheel and boy does it look great. My next step is to but the 6 gauge cluster to get message center and mycolor gauges. (I already got the button to control it) I was hoping someone had the "how to" about taking the gauges out and putting the new one back in.

I was going to wait and have the dealer do it, but a $300 core charge makes me not want to wait for the snow to stop and take the car out of storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Its real easy. The cluster housing bezel/trim is just held on with clips so all you have to do is gently pull it away from the dash. The actual cluster housing is held in place with 4 screws. Remove these screws and the cluster can be pulled forward so you can reach around to the back of the cluster and disconnect the wiring harness from the cluster.

Steve

Unlike many SGT owners, my SGT came with the plain jane steering wheel and gauge cluster. I found a great deal on a Bullitt steering wheel and boy does it look great. My next step is to but the 6 gauge cluster to get message center and mycolor gauges. (I already got the button to control it) I was hoping someone had the "how to" about taking the gauges out and putting the new one back in.

I was going to wait and have the dealer do it, but a $300 core charge makes me not want to wait for the snow to stop and take the car out of storage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Whoa!

I did exactly what you did but had the dealer do it. He could never get the TPMS light to stay off. He eventually put the original cluster back in and still had trouble getting the TPMS light to stay off. After much back and forth with the factory, they got it right. I think they could probably get the 6 gauge cluster to work now (knowing how to manage the TPMS problem) but they won't touch it now.

They did have to reprogram the smart junction box. Just using the standard programming didn't work.

If you had an '05 or '06 it would have worked without any hassle.

Whoa!

I did exactly what you did but had the dealer do it. He could never get the TPMS light to stay off. He eventually put the original cluster back in and still had trouble getting the TPMS light to stay off. After much back and forth with the factory, they got it right. I think they could probably get the 6 gauge cluster to work now (knowing how to manage the TPMS problem) but they won't touch it now.

They did have to reprogram the smart junction box. Just using the standard programming didn't work.

If you had an '05 or '06 it would have worked without any hassle.

Yeah, looking at the other forums it seems if your car did not have IUP to begin with there are a lot of "gottcha's" and you really want to have a dealer do this. IF they will do it. IUP after the fact is not an approved Ford "update" and I guess there is a reason why from al the reports I've read. Similar to the Nav systems that never seem to work when switched to a car that did not come with it.

There are a few people that have said their dealer got it to work but these seem to be few and far between....

Archived