TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VIN NUMBERS

Do any of you guys know if these mustang drive train parts such as engine trans and rear diffs have the vin numbers stamped on them somewhere making them numbers matching. Just wanted to know becuause i remember reading when Saleen did the 07 Parnelli Jones cars they pulled the motors out of each car to work the internal parts but when they were done the finished blocks were installed into different cars to speed up the production lines for these . This would make them non numbers matching cars. I would think that Saleen would try to keep the matching engine with the body on such a high profile car . The SHELBY GT which really started as a california special mustang from detroit and SHELBY GT500 may have the vin numbers drivetrain matching. Thanks for any info

There one was a topic where someone (I believe GRABBER) had this trans replaced and posted the last 6 or so numbers were etched into the trans. I remember there being some debate about it though. Im not sure about the rear.

I do know there has been some issues with the trans/clutch on the SVT GT500 and some have had them replaced. If you have no luck here you may try their forums.

I did a quick search but cant seem to find the topic. Ill look a little more tomorrow if you dont get your answer.

The last 7 numbers of your VIN are stamped on the tranny of the GT500's. The Vin is not on the rear or the engine. However the engine has a number on the side of the valve cover (White sticker with bar graph code) that is tied to Ford's OASIS report that is listed under your VIN number. The report is called a "VIR" which is the Vehicle Information Report. That report also shows the rear end differential that was installed in your car and a hole bunch of other Data on the Spec's of that car.

Grabber, you mentioned the white label on the valve cover for the SGT. If that is the only number would SGT owners be able to put in any 4.6 3 v block without anyone being the wiser. The reason I ask is I can see someone eventually putting a rod through a block with a SC engine and needing a different block. Obviously we want to keep the originals for resale someday. So, is the white tag the only indicator and if so that is obviously easy enough to just put the old valve cover on the new engine. Am I correct?

Grabber, you mentioned the white label on the valve cover for the SGT. If that is the only number would SGT owners be able to put in any 4.6 3 v block without anyone being the wiser. The reason I ask is I can see someone eventually putting a rod through a block with a SC engine and needing a different block. Obviously we want to keep the originals for resale someday. So, is the white tag the only indicator and if so that is obviously easy enough to just put the old valve cover on the new engine. Am I correct?

Look on the drivers side of your motor and see if the tag is there. It's hard to see on the GT500.

From crawling around my car while modding it I can tell you almost every part has a bar code tag that is date and time stamped to the car. It all matches what is on the HVBoM report. The engine and tranny are also Serial numbered but don't match the vin. The numbers are also listed on the report. In the future, the way people will be able to prove "matching numbers" on our cars will be with factory paperwork. The Saleens I think would be considered matching since they were built that way.

From crawling around my car while modding it I can tell you almost every part has a bar code tag that is date and time stamped to the car. It all matches what is on the HVBoM report. The engine and tranny are also Serial numbered but don't match the vin. The numbers are also listed on the report. In the future, the way people will be able to prove "matching numbers" on our cars will be with factory paperwork. The Saleens I think would be considered matching since they were built that way.

The HVBoM report is held in OASIS for only 10 years from what I have learned.

The HVBoM report is held in OASIS for only 10 years from what I have learned.

If that's the case I would recommend for people to get a copy to keep with their car records like I did. I also got a copy of the build sheet from Ford.

After 10 years maybe someone will offer something like a Marti report.

If that's the case I would recommend for people to get a copy to keep with their car records like I did. I also got a copy of the build sheet from Ford.

After 10 years maybe someone will offer something like a Marti report.

Am I correct in assuming this is something any Ford dealer would be able to print off for anyone or should I sweet talk my service advisor lady a little more then usual?

Archived