TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Hoods

I have one of the early hoods and have started seeing more and more imperfections in it. Are any of you SS owners seeing any issues with your hoods? I've called SPP to talk to them about it, but have never heard anything back.

What kind of imperfections do you have?

I have one of the early hoods and have started seeing more and more imperfections in it. Are any of you SS owners seeing any issues with your hoods? I've called SPP to talk to them about it, but have never heard anything back.

I'm not defending anyone or doubting the imperfections you see, but if you take a close look through your drivers side rear view mirror along the top of the door you will see tooling marks (irregular bends) that all S197 car's have, the non SS factory aluminum hoods have imperfections on the top side of where the hinges are, and if you put the car on a lift and look closely down both sides you can see all kinds of imperfections. I looked at several that all had the same stuff. Mine also has other stuff and I'm sure there are S197 s that have stuff mine doesn't.

This is just part of the car and it's personality and the average person would never notice any of it, unless you pointed it out. Driving down the road nobody will notice imperfections on your hood, and at car shows the hood is mostly up. Many years from now, people that judge these cars won't deduct for factory blemishes.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it effects fit, function or is getting worse over time. I know it's easier for me to say because it's not my car, but I do know how it feels. I would rather have imperfections than Bondo in my car. I don't think to many SS owners would want to add filler to hide factory blemishes.

Good luck with your decision.

IMO

This car as far as fitment, quality of build and so forth is really not great at all, def still not up to par with the forein autos

Check out the doors, near the handles, you will notice how it sicks in, also look closely under the side mirrors on the doors, there is some wavy ness there.

Rear bumper fits like crap, lines dont match up at all, my factory hood never fit well (gaps larger on one side)

blemishes in the paint, overspray

You really are paying for the performance and design

If you want it all, you gota pay big bucks like say a Ford GT or better yet Audi R8

IMO

This car as far as fitment, quality of build and so forth is really not great at all, def still not up to par with the foreign autos

If you are in any way a type A personality it's best to take a stiff drink before examining your $50,000+ Shelby in detail. This is, after all, essentially the same car they turn out for $19,995 MSRP. It ain't perfect. In any way. You can't expect it to be. Don't look. You'll cry.

If you are in any way a type A personality it's best to take a stiff drink before examining your $50,000+ Shelby in detail. This is, after all, essentially the same car they turn out for $19,995 MSRP. It ain't perfect. In any way. You can't expect it to be. Don't look. You'll cry.

Personally, I had a taste for the Audi S5, Black Pearl, Magma Red interior. So, instead of sulking abut my Shelby's issues, when I take out the garbage I get to see both. It can really be very consoling. Just about EVERY car that I have owned has had some kind of issues that makes you think twice as to whether you made a wise choice in your purchase. What it boils down to is making the best of every situation. (having good dealership customer service helps, too!!). Basically, Ford smiles alot while they are telling you to take a hike, here, anyway.

RIDE SAFE

Well it first started with the areas around the louvers were very wavy and now it appears as if my hood is sinking in on the passenger side towards the windshield on top of the scoop. Granted my hood was one of the early hoods, but I was just curious if anyone else was seeing anything or if the quality had improved.

Well it first started with the areas around the louvers were very wavy and now it appears as if my hood is sinking in on the passenger side towards the windshield on top of the scoop. Granted my hood was one of the early hoods, but I was just curious if anyone else was seeing anything or if the quality had improved.

Whatever happened to that French-Canadian company that said they were making RTM hoods for the Super Snake? The site of the company that made them (which also made parts for the Ford GT and Corvette) said that they would be available through Shelby and even linked to them. He had copious pix on this site and seemed to be the real deal. SA also referenced that they would change to an RTM hood. Then all was deleted in that mysterious way that things disappear from this site...oops, I feel I'm fading even now...

I wasn't happy with my hood the day I picked it up. The finish was good but the fit wasn't real good at all, I had them take it back in the shop and adjust it where it looked halfway decent but the hood fit is my biggest complaint of the car along with the placement of the vent louvers on the pass side of the hood. The front edge on both sides of the hood don't quite follow the cars lines. I was told it was just like back in 66 when they had a fiberglass hood, then a fiberglass hood with steel inserts and finally an all steel hood. I won't say who said that but he also said that the hoods were hand made by Nevada penitentiary workers now but in the future they were going to be made by someone else. But overall I love my red vert.

How true. I've stated the same many times, that is that these are all essentially a $19,995 car, even the $80K KR's...just more and expesive add-ons, but the bodies and interiors, fit and finish, etc. remain. If certain aspects were better, the cars would cost even more, then would people be willing to pay the extra? The Mustang has continued to dominate the pony-car market, so the recipe is apparently correct.

How true. I've stated the same many times, that is that these are all essentially a $19,995 car, even the $80K KR's...just more and expesive add-ons, but the bodies and interiors, fit and finish, etc. remain. If certain aspects were better, the cars would cost even more, then would people be willing to pay the extra? The Mustang has continued to dominate the pony-car market, so the recipe is apparently correct.

Absolutely correct. This is a mass produced Mustang. You guys would go nuts if you saw the fit and finish on my '68. None of the fiberglass parts line-up. The fit and finish on my '07 is a huge improvement but that is not what it is all about. Take your SS out for a drive :peelout: and nobody will be able to wipe that smile off your face. I suspect with the winter weather you guys are just suffering from cabin fever :hyper2:

Absolutely correct. This is a mass produced Mustang. You guys would go nuts if you saw the fit and finish on my '68. None of the fiberglass parts line-up. The fit and finish on my '07 is a huge improvement but that is not what it is all about. Take your SS out for a drive :peelout: and nobody will be able to wipe that smile off your face. I suspect with the winter weather you guys are just suffering from cabin fever :hyper2:

+1 Very well said Frank!

Take your SS out for a drive and nobody will be able to wipe that smile off your face.

I took mine out today ( warm sunny california day ) I'm not sure it was a smile it was closer to terror as you pull through second and hit third hard it's more like a rocket launch these damn things a scary fast .......and i wouldn't have it any other way :happy feet: :shift:

Thanks Mike, Happy New Year! As soon as the weather breaks we should get together.

Happy New Year to you and your family I drove the SS home from Tasca in late Oct and had it out for a few short trips since then but I'm definitely suffering from SS withdrawal I cant wait for a nice weekend so I can really take the car out and enjoy it.

Whilst I would agree that you can't expect too much from essentially a $20k Ford I would when spending a fortune on upgrades bringing this car to the price we all paid.

To my mind there is no excuse for producing second rate bolt-ons.

The hood on my car is an abortion as is the hood on my friends SS (though his is worse) Bad fitting, badly finished, paint flaking and the whole hood flapping around above 40mph and the pins are as much help as a handbrake on a canoe.

I accept the poor finish on the car and the ill fitting bumpers etc but the hood is not far short of being a joke and if I could junk it and find a suitable repalcement I would.

By the way.....I do like my SS despite never having had a response from Shelby re my useless brakes.

IMO

This car as far as fitment, quality of build and so forth is really not great at all, def still not up to par with the forein autos

Check out the doors, near the handles, you will notice how it sicks in, also look closely under the side mirrors on the doors, there is some wavy ness there.

Rear bumper fits like crap, lines dont match up at all, my factory hood never fit well (gaps larger on one side)

blemishes in the paint, overspray

You really are paying for the performance and design

If you want it all, you gota pay big bucks like say a Ford GT or better yet Audi R8

First I am still waiting for mine!!!!!!!! Seeing how they told me that they are on back order. This has been going on for almost 4 months/////Be happy that you got one!!!

Archived