TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Q & A with ShowCar

ShowCar

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith I use Show Car Dressing or ClearKote Rubber and Vinyl Dressing on the engine hoses. Best of all they are not flammable and do not look greasy.

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

These shots should give you an idea of what to expect as far as gloss.

I have a 2008 black GT500. About 1200 miles on it and washed after every drive. Waxed every couple months. Stays in the garage under cover. Looks better than showroom new.

Question: Even though the car is spotless and waxed to a perfect shine if you look real close it looks like water spots, under the wax I'm assuming. I think maybe the car needs to be clayed or the wax needs to be removed, water spots removed, and then rewaxed. How should I approach this?

You have to get real close to notice but it bothers me that its there.....

KiefferGT500, Clay will not remove waterspots. Try some vinegar cut with water 1:1 and spray on the area. Give it a few seconds to break down the water deposits and wipe with a CLEAN microfiber towel. If the spots are still present try polish on a pad and gentily rub out the spot. Then wipe the spot down. If the spot is still present then its a type 2 waterspot which means its under the clearcoat and can only be removed by a pro detailer, or quality bodyshop. If this doesnt make any sense contact me and I will explain it better on the phone. 773-612-1332.

Steve R

I have a question for that you may be able to answer. After washing and waxing, I noticed that the paint was still rough. After some investagation, I learned of the clay bar. What a difference! Smooth as a "you know what". My question is in regards to the stripes. I stayed away from them with the clay bar. Now, when waxing, I wax all the car, including the stripes. I can still feel the roughness on them. Is there some product that will make the stripes smooth just as the clay bar does for the paint. I don't want to dammage the stripes. That would be very BAD. Thanks for any help.

JnJ3891

JnJ3891, If the stripes are stock then try the clay on a spot and gentilly rub the clay bar on the stripe. Most if not all of the contaminents will come off on the clay, unless the sun has baked in the contaminents. The only question I have is which clay bar are you using? Some clay bars are very aggressive and will damage paint or vinyl if not used correctly. If its over the counter Meguiars, or Mothers it will be fine. Those two are very gentile but dont remove everything. Hope this helps.

On my black GT500 I have a few spots where it looks like there are a few very minor scratches or rub marks...very thin, a couple inches long, and you cannot feel anything if you run your finger or fingernail across them. For a black car, what is the best way to remove these and then really bring out the shine? I don't have an orbital buffer or anything, but would be willing to get what I need to get/keep the car pristine. Thanks!

I am using the Meguiars kit that my wife got me for x-mas. I will try the clay on the stripes, lightly though. I figure if I can't get the Shelby out cause of the snow, which it did last night, I might as well polish her. Thanks.

JnJ3891

Keith I use Show Car Dressing or ClearKote Rubber and Vinyl Dressing on the engine hoses. Best of all they are not flammable and do not look greasy.

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

These shots should give you an idea of what to expect as far as gloss.

Dang that looks clean.

u guessed it i have a black car as well, my question is dust.

after a complete wax job but after taking her out driving, some dust laid on the wax or sometimes dust from just have the car sitting in the garage.

in the past on my silver cars i use cal duster and its works great but on a black car the oil from the duster shows, streeks all ova.

currently i have been using a detailer spray and a soft microfiber towel. 1. do u have to use the detailer? or can u just use a soft microfiber to wipe off the dust, will dust scratch the paint? 2. are there any car dusters made that works well for black color cars??

i dont cover the car in the garage because i do drive it often, not my dd but more like pickup dinner, going to sister's house and etc but i am sick of spraying the detailer and wiping it down EVERYDAY, EVERYTIME. please help, my back is taking a hit and i am not that young lol.

I've followed another thread of yours and have also visited your web page. I notice you saying you've used both the CLEARKOTE brand (among others) and I see on your wed page that you have your own line of products. I've got a black car, and I'll be claying it in a couple of days. I would like a package of products. ( wax, glaze, polish,) whatever you recommend that would make my baby shine. Please shoot me a Pm.

Thanks,

Brian

PHDPSY, I recommend trying Show Car Scratch Remover by hand with a microfiber pad. Gentilyrub the product over the scratch until you build enough heat on the panel to manipulate the scratch and remove clearcoat. Then follow up with Show Car Polish by hand to bring out the fine scouring the remover left. Its easier than it sounds to do. Just be patient, use little pressure, and common sense. If you are not comfortable doing this then find a good detail shop locally to do the job.

Izdbom, Try wrapping the carduster in clean newspaper to remove the parrafin wax from the duster. Leave it wrapped up for 48 hours. This will help. Always use a detail spray for wipedown. Keep in mind the streets wear and concrete dust, ashpalt dust, and brake dust will land on the paint. All of which are rough and will scratch the tuffest clearcoats overtime. Sometimes you are better off just washing the vehicle by hand. Especially if you are driving thru road construction. Use common sense and if you drove for less than 30minutes on a good street or didnt follow any trucks then detail spray and a carduster will be fine for wipedown.

Do you know whether any of these two products contain silicone? I prefer to keep anything with silicone out of the engine compartment.

I've been using Steve's products for sometime and they are great products but what is interesting is that he's always willing to help out either via email or phone call-how many companies do that with their consumers?

Its about customer service. Keep up the good work Steve!!!

My shine after using his goodies!!! This is my DD..The spots are not in the paint they are on the floor, that's how good the shines is after using the whole kit-it's like glass well, until I drive down the road and dust gets on the black paint :censored:

DSC03246.jpg

DSC03230.jpg

DSC03231.jpg

DSC03239.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03250.jpg

DSC03244.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Great thread.... my question is about leather.....

I'd like to clean and preserve it, but do not want to have a sheen or coating left behind. I used the Meguires wipes on my last Mustang and didn't care for the change it made. I'm currently just wiping my seats down with a damp microfiber cloth....

Would love to hear your suggestions....

Chris, thank you for the compliments. Im glad you are happy with the product results.

6speed, the Show Car Dressing contains no silicone and is water based. The ClearKote is not my formula, so I cant say how much of anything is in the bottle. I can tell you it works real well and wont start a fire under the hood. Long story short is I found Clearkote products while researching my own products and really like the stuff. Clearkote is made in the USA by a mom and pop shop in Oklahoma. Basically I sell what works and makes customers say WOW when they see the final product( a shockingly shiny vehicle).

Leestoystang- clay the vehicle after a good handwash. This gives the polish, glaze, and wax a good clean surface to stick too. Otherwise you are just protecting the contaminents on the paint surface. I like Show Car Wet Glaze and Wet Wax, we call it that because the car looks like it was just washed. The color is darker,deeper, and richer.

Alan, see you Saturday. Its going to be a high of 18 degrees.

When I picked up my new 08 GT500 from the dealer I noticed they put some crappy wax on the car. Try as I might I cannot remove the white wax residue from the black textured plastic trim.

Can you assist with some advice how to remove. Thank-you.

When I picked up my new 08 GT500 from the dealer I noticed they put some crappy wax on the car. Try as I might I cannot remove the white wax residue from the black textured plastic trim.

Can you assist with some advice how to remove. Thank-you.

Try to use an All Purpose cleaner like Simple green cut 4:1 with a toothbrush and it should remove it.

Show Car

I see you have some good information here what do you use to clean the windows?

I don't want to use Windex anymore.

Also is that stuff that you use on the under hood come in a spray or do you have to apply it with a cloth?

Is it like in and out spray? How much does it cost?

Thanks

Art

The dealer applied Zylon Paint Protection to my 07--bugs, mud, small animals are supposed to just slide off if you spit on them......but, since I didn't pay them the $395 they wanted for "warranty" of this marvelous stuff, I couldn't get anything out of them about what to do next.....do I wax as usual? Is there something special I should use on this, or just treat it as any other.....

Also, what's the best product, in your experience, to protect the cloth top?

Thanks--this thread is a great help!

Show Car

I see you have some good information here what do you use to clean the windows?

I don't want to use Windex anymore.

Also is that stuff that you use on the under hood come in a spray or do you have to apply it with a cloth?

Is it like in and out spray? How much does it cost?

Thanks

Art

Art, I use Stoner glass cleaner. It has no ammonia and is tint safe. The products under the hood can be sprayed on or put on by hand. It all depends on the user prefrence. The products are $11.95 each. Available in 16oz. bottles.

The dealer applied Zylon Paint Protection to my 07--bugs, mud, small animals are supposed to just slide off if you spit on them......but, since I didn't pay them the $395 they wanted for "warranty" of this marvelous stuff, I couldn't get anything out of them about what to do next.....do I wax as usual? Is there something special I should use on this, or just treat it as any other.....

Also, what's the best product, in your experience, to protect the cloth top?

Thanks--this thread is a great help!

Im confused did you get the special protection package? If not I recommend washing, claying, polishing, glazing, and sealing the paint. If the top is cloth we have fabric protector. Although if the car is less than two years old and doesnt see any harsh weather then its probably still protected from the factory. There seems to be a fabric guard put on the tops from the factory from what Ive seen. Hope this answers the questions.

A car with 1.7K miles on it kept in a garage under a cover, never driven in rain. Would you recommend your process of washing, claying, polishing, glazing, and sealing the paint.

Or do you think the paint is in good condition and this process should be put on hold due to the fact the paint may still be good from the factory?

Great thread.... my question is about leather.....

I'd like to clean and preserve it, but do not want to have a sheen or coating left behind. I used the Meguires wipes on my last Mustang and didn't care for the change it made. I'm currently just wiping my seats down with a damp microfiber cloth....

Would love to hear your suggestions....

Hey!!!! don't forget my leather question!!!

Archived