TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Instrument panel

Ever since someone pointed out that the SGT instrument panel is reversed from what it should be, ie: Tach on Left and Speedo on Right, it has bugged the you know what out of me...I never really thought about it until someone pointed it out, but now, it just bugs me...

Does anyone know if the instrument panel out of a GT500 will fit? It is set up correctly, isn't it? Speedo on left and Tach on the right? Would it pick up the correct mileage of the SGT or would it show the mileage of the vehicle that it was pulled from? Are there any other differences between the two panels?

I'm really curious to know if it would work to swap one out...Anyone have a spare laying around that they'd be willing to loan me for a shot at it? Any idea what the cost of the instrument panel would be?

Ever since someone pointed out that the SGT instrument panel is reversed from what it should be, ie: Tach on Left and Speedo on Right, it has bugged the you know what out of me...I never really thought about it until someone pointed it out, but now, it just bugs me...

Does anyone know if the instrument panel out of a GT500 will fit? It is set up correctly, isn't it? Speedo on left and Tach on the right? Would it pick up the correct mileage of the SGT or would it show the mileage of the vehicle that it was pulled from? Are there any other differences between the two panels?

I'm really curious to know if it would work to swap one out...Anyone have a spare laying around that they'd be willing to loan me for a shot at it? Any idea what the cost of the instrument panel would be?

Although anything can be done nowadays, the pod would be very expensive and a bitch to incorporate into a Mustang GT dashboard.

Although anything can be done nowadays, the pod would be very expensive and a bitch to incorporate into a Mustang GT dashboard.

I would think the GT500 pod and GT pod are the same size, but only the Tach and Speedo in different locations...I would think that the plug for both would be the same as well on the back...

Don't you have both a GT500 and an SGT? If so, look at them and compare them...perhaps take a couple of pics for me and post them...I swear, I think they could be swapped...

I would think the GT500 pod and GT pod are the same size, but only the Tach and Speedo in different locations...I would think that the plug for both would be the same as well on the back...

Don't you have both a GT500 and an SGT? If so, look at them and compare them...perhaps take a couple of pics for me and post them...I swear, I think they could be swapped...

Sure, I can take some pics for you, but fittiment won't be the problem. It would be the mating of the plugs on the back of the instrument cluster from one car to the other pod that I suspect would be the problem, especally if you have the "My Color" option on your car. Additionally, FoMoCo is notorious for designing some systems so they can't be interchanged between models, even if they are fundamentally the same car. Look at what they did with the 2008 H.I.D. lamps. You can't install them in a 2007 car without using a handmade jumper wire; something that only one member/owner has been able to pull off so far.

I'm not saying that it can't be done because I don't know for sure, but I would venture to say that the best place to start would be to look at a wiring diagram for both cars/clusters.

It's dark outside now (duh), but I'll snap a couple of frontal pics of both clusters for you tomorrow and post them here for you.

I could be wrong, but I think the parts are physically interchangeable, but have different finishes. The GT500 has a "carbon fiber" look aluminum panel and brushed trim rings, as opposed to the light or dark aluminum available on the SGT with the chrome trim rings. Of course, you could just buy the GT500 dash panels for the whole car and have everything match. I'd check with Kevin Casey @ Clevenger Ford. His number is 559.784.6000. He can set you up.

Carl,

These instruments are not "reversed from what they should be". They are exactly as Ford designed and built them. My GT500 has the tach on the right and my Shelby GT and my Ford GT have the tach on the left. The original Ford GT40s built in the 1960s had the tachometer to the left of the speedometer as well. Are you saying that the highest performance cars Ford has ever built, the GT40 and the Ford GT have their speedometers and tachometers reversed from what they should be??

The chance of the wiring harness in your Shelby GT allowing the GT500 instrument panel to plug-and-play is zero. And even if it did, your car would forever be branded "odometer replaced, miles not actual". You don't want to go there.

You have made me curious however. Who is it that pointed out to you that the tachometer should be to the right of the speedometer? And where did he get that notion?

Chip

Carl,

These instruments are not "reversed from what they should be". They are exactly as Ford designed and built them. My GT500 has the tach on the right and my Shelby GT and my Ford GT have the tach on the left. The original Ford GT40s built in the 1960s had the tachometer to the left of the speedometer as well. Are you saying that the highest performance cars Ford has ever built, the GT40 and the Ford GT have their speedometers and tachometers reversed from what they should be??

The chance of the wiring harness in your Shelby GT allowing the GT500 instrument panel to plug-and-play is zero. And even if it did, your car would forever be branded "odometer replaced, miles not actual". You don't want to go there.

You have made me curious however. Who is it that pointed out to you that the tachometer should be to the right of the speedometer? And where did he get that notion?

Chip

Chip, it came from early articles on the GT500, at least that where I first read about the instrument layout (in Hot Rod magazine?). If you go back to late 2006, you will find articles describing the car, and one of the comments about the interior was that the instrument cluster's layout was "designed for the performance car driver, with the speedo and tach placed in reverse of the GT Mustang". That is not an exact quote, but I think that you get the picture.

If I remember correctly, it was FoMoCo's press release that originally made that statement and the journalists just incorporated into their stories. I also vaguely remember Carroll being quoted from an interview that the layout was done at his instance.

Perhaps other members will chime in on this.

Thanks stngfever...I thought it was pretty much a plug and play deal, but I wasn't aware that the GT500 cluster had a "boost" gauge in it. I don't need that since I don't have a s/c...that replaces my battery gauge...Oh well....

Chip, Son of GT was right, I believe I read it in the GT500 forums, but I thought it was strange when I went back and looked at my gauges...I have never seen anything that you made reference to about Carroll insisting that it be done the way it was done...and I've NEVER had the opportunity to even look inside a Ford GT up close...Ford dealers around here put fences up around them and unless they have money in hand, you're not getting close to it...

Oh well, I guess I'll live with it like it is...

Thanks guys!

OH, BTW, mccoystudio, Yes, I did find the hose clamp bearings AND changed the signal light fluid too!!! LOL

Chip, Son of GT was right, I believe I read it in the GT500 forums, but I thought it was strange when I went back and looked at my gauges...I have never seen anything that you made reference to about Carroll insisting that it be done the way it was done...and I've NEVER had the opportunity to even look inside a Ford GT up close...Ford dealers around here put fences up around them and unless they have money in hand, you're not getting close to it...

Carl,

If you're ever in Scottsdale you can drive my Ford GT around the block. After looking at it's "speedo on the right" arrangement, you'll feel better about your Shelby GT's speedo on the right!! :happy feet:

Chip

I once discussed this with an old german guy, one who was quite the car nut. He said that the tack should be located on the left becuase it is more important to monitor the engine speed than the vehicle speed. So, since humans naturally read left to right, the tach located to left is the most natural location.

Carl,

If you're ever in Scottsdale you can drive my Ford GT around the block. After looking at it's "speedo on the right" arrangement, you'll feel better about your Shelby GT's speedo on the right!! :happy feet:

Chip

Gee, Thanks Chip! But wait...I remember your story about you picking up the car, and how your head was injured twice...wait, I'm 6'3...have short hair, but I'm not sure I can duck low enough to shut the door....LOL

I once discussed this with an old german guy, one who was quite the car nut. He said that the tack should be located on the left becuase it is more important to monitor the engine speed than the vehicle speed. So, since humans naturally read left to right, the tach located to left is the most natural location.

Ok, I can buy into that, but makes me wonder why it was not done on the GT500 then...oh heck, who cares....I guess I'll live with it!

Carl,

Chip

Carl,

For a chance to drive the Ford GT around the block, I believe I would gladly suffer a concussion!

Sam

AKA:

So when Chinese cars come over here, will the tachs be above the speedos?

Ok, I can buy into that, but makes me wonder why it was not done on the GT500 then...oh heck, who cares....I guess I'll live with it!

the artical that explained why it was reversed from the gt, was done for drag racing, they explained that the left arm would be blocking the tach,making it hard to see rpm for shifting, thats why they put it on the right. that was what they said.

Thanks stngfever...I thought it was pretty much a plug and play deal, but I wasn't aware that the GT500 cluster had a "boost" gauge in it. I don't need that since I don't have a s/c...that replaces my battery gauge...Oh well....

Oh well, I guess I'll live with it like it is...

Thanks guys!

OH, BTW, mccoystudio, Yes, I did find the hose clamp bearings AND changed the signal light fluid too!!! LOL

I am getting my fluid changed at the next oil service :hysterical:

The tach was on the right on the '67-'70 cars. If you look close you can see the 8 grand tach in my '68 1/2 428CJ from back in the day. As far as the new ones I saw that article about the tach reversed in some GT-500 brochure I have. The pats system has to be reset and the mileage changed. Not a big deal.

MVC-003F.jpg

The tach was on the right on the '67-'70 cars. If you look close you can see the 8 grand tach in my '68 1/2 428CJ from back in the day. As far as the new ones I saw that article about the tach reversed in some GT-500 brochure I have. The pats system has to be reset and the mileage changed. Not a big deal.

MVC-003F.jpg

Just curious, why does your car not have the CJ hood?

That picture was from '86. At the time I had 5 'stangs. When I bought that CJ the hood was all flat black so I put the blinkered hood from my '67 K-GT on it while I sent the right hood and scoop out for paint. Here's some of the other cars at the time.

MVC-001F.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I remember seeing so many cool old cars parked on the street back then, your house was the icon of the neighborhood for the teenage kids I'd bet! Very cool.

I checked my SGT last nite, the tach is on the left, I checked my wife's V6 Mustang and the tach is on the left, and just for the hell of it I checked my Dodge Stealth and the tach is on the left. So what you guys are saying that on regular mustang GT's the tach is on the right?

Thanks for sharing, I remember seeing so many cool old cars parked on the street back then, your house was the icon of the neighborhood for the teenage kids I'd bet! Very cool.

The neighborhood kids seemed to care less about my cars back then. They were more interested in boaty 4-doors like Electras and Caddys it seemed. The older neighbors were always stopping by to see what was new.

stormeaston, the GT500 has the tach on the right and I think all the 2010s do also.

Archived