TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby MSO On An Aftermarket Kit Car

shelbymotorsports

There is someone selling a GT40 Kit Car on ebay and in their description they make this statement:

This car is registered in the Shelby Registry with its own Shelby MSO.

I'm a little confused on how they can claim it comes with a Shelby MSO when its not produced by SAI. For those of you that don't know MSO stands for Manufacturers Statement of Origin.

The engine sure looks interesting.

Steve

Ebay GT40

What registry is it in ? I didn`t see any ser# that was posted but again it should be available in the inspection report.

I've noticed that most people just say "Shelby Registry" without spelling out either SAI's registry or the SAAC registry so who knows which one. Perhaps even another one.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Superformance is built under the license of SAFIR who owns the GT40 name. Those chassis/VIN numbers read GT40P-2xxx. Go to GT40s.com, the international forum to get a better picture of what is a GT40/continuation/or want-to-be. Keep in mind it can get confusing with J-cars, MkIVs ,MkIII, MkV, the new GT, and the prototypes. Get your hands on the book, 'GT40 -the Ferriari Killer' for more info if you care to learn more.

Regards

Grady

GT40P-2124, a MKII 427 Side oiler

ps Also, The Shelby MSO cars are built by Superformance

There is someone selling a GT40 Kit Car on ebay and in their description they make this statement:

This car is registered in the Shelby Registry with its own Shelby MSO.

I'm a little confused on how they can claim it comes with a Shelby MSO when its not produced by SAI. For those of you that don't know MSO stands for Manufacturers Statement of Origin.

The engine sure looks interesting.

Steve

Ebay GT40

Steve,

This is not a kit car. The car pictured is a GT40 MkI in GULF Oil colors and made by Superformance under license from SAFIR who owns the GT40 Trade name. Ever notice that the 2005 FORD GT Supercar is not called a GT40 MK something? The chassis numbers are a continuation of the original '60s numbers GT40P-2xxx.

Notice it looks like a car sold by SAI ?

Drive Safe

Steve,

This is not a kit car. The car pictured is a GT40 MkI in GULF Oil colors and made by Superformance under license from SAFIR who owns the GT40 Trade name. Ever notice that the 2005 FORD GT Supercar is not called a GT40 MK something? The chassis numbers are a continuation of the original '60s numbers GT40P-2xxx.

Notice it looks like a car sold by SAI ?

Drive Safe

I believe these cars were part of a joint SAI/Superformance promotion for the 85th. These were in a brochure I picked up in the museum. There are 85 Superformance GT40's to be made in each of three colors.

Thanks Grady & Tony for the info. The GT40 is probably my weakest area. I didn't get much info from GT40s.com but found some good info on the Superformance website.

Did not mean to offend anyone with the words kit car as what Superformance offers is much more than that. This also explains why Carroll has a Superformance coupe in his collection. I never paid too much attention to it as the electric door/alarm are always funky besides the paddle shifter which I'm not used to. I'll have to go take a closer look one of these days to see what I'm missing.

Steve

Archived