TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007-2009 GT500 "Value"

sfm6s1675

I've read about a fair amount of discontent with the fact that Ford has upped the horsepower on the 2010 and is even considering an aluminum block for 2011. In addition, I've also read where some folks are questioning the value of the price of a GT500/GT500KR versus what you get. Here are my observations, just my .02....

* There exists roughly $10K in difference between the MSRP price of a GT500 coupe in the mid 40s versus a loaded Mustang GT in the mid 30s. For $10K, you get the supercharged 5.4 engine ('nuff said), 6-speed Tremec, Ford GT style wheels and F1 tires, suspension and Baer brake upgrades, interior/exterior enhancements, etc. And oh yeah, the Carroll Shelby lineage. So in my humble opinion $10K is a pretty good deal!

* I liked it when the GT500 was touted as the "most powerful factory Mustang ever" at 500 hp. Then the KR upped the ante to 540 hp. Honestly though, would we really want to see the Camaro and possibly Challenger pass the GT500 in performance? I am glad that Ford continues to improve the breed.

* For those worried about exclusivity, that is a valid concern. But think about how many GT500s you pass on the road. If you're worried about quantity, consider the fact that GM produced nearly 118,000 of the highly desireable 1963-67 Corvette Stingrays. I realize that's a different animal but the point is somewhat high production does not necessarily mean the collectability and desireability goes down the drain.

I've been a Carroll Shelby fan ever since I was 14 and saw an unusual Mustang that had long rectangular tail lights and S-H-E-L-B-Y across the deck lid at a car show at Six Flags. One of the worst decisions in my life was to sell my 1966 Hertz car 20 years ago. I was able to somewhat correct this mistake last August and am patiently hoping for SAI to offer a "red stripe" Super Snake package; or plan 'B' would be to install the Ford racing power and handling packs and 3.73 gears. :drool:

I think your right. I'll admit it was pretty cool to be able to say that you had the most powerful factory built mustang ever. However in the big scheme of things, Ford has to continue improving the breed. From what I've seen the 2010 GT500 looks pretty darn good. I hope they do what ever it takes to keep ahead of the Camaro.

One of the worst decisions in my life was to sell my 1966 Hertz car 20 years ago.

Been there...done that...a 70 Boss 302, Grabber Yellow, spoilers, slats, standard interior, standard wheels. Sold it to a brother on the condition if he ever had to sell it I would buy it back, paying for every dime he put into it.....don't need to tell the rest of the story.

Do the CAI/tune and 3:73s, next best thing to putting the springs in!

It's one-upsmenship... After they suck every one in with the Most powerful Mustang ever build. They have to grab you with something else the next year too open you wallet again...

Yup........well said..........they prey on suckers.........everyone forgets, Ford is a business and only wants to make money. Feel sorry for those who paid $10k plus premium, or KR owners who no longer own the most powerful blah, blah, blah........and don't tell me about investment with a KR........there are better investments than cars........you'll be burried before you see that money

Remember the '82 mustang " the boss is back" wow, a whole 157 hp, then in 1985 roller motor with 210 hp, then in 1987 with 225 hp, then, then, then..................??? See my point, improvements are there but only a bit per year are given to us.

Geez, glad I paid invoice but who was to know the economy would turn and 08/09's now below invoice with rebates etc.........

So enjoy what you have, mod it, personalize it and have fun because if you keep trying to have the latest and greatest, you'll be broke $$$ !!! and don't ever be the first to own something because you'll pay dearly for it.

Who knows? I don't think it is ever completely predictable, but my guess is that '07-'09 GT500 Coupes will never go below low $30's and Verts maybe mid $30's. I am no expert, but it seems that a car like this should bottom out around that (reasonable miles assumed). Daily drivers with 100K on them willl be much less. Vett's keep dropping all the way down to teens, but they build a gazillion a year, plus they seem to carry more of a stigma as the get about two body styles old. Then they rebound and get super cool! Stangs seem somwhat isolated from this effect, especially anything with SVT on it, or even more so Shelby.

Only time will tell....

The '10's will probably always carry a bit more premium, mostly because they are newer.

One slight problem with the '07-'09 values could be the clutches. As long as Ford fails to recall these cars for clutches, then the market may depress if buyers become fearful of problems. This would cause a depression on the whole market, not just the unfixed cars, because for the most part, the market value is a function average transactions. That is that the fear, causes a drop in demand, which lowers all prices. Sure some buyers may search out proven repaired cars. but they will only be willing to pay a slight bit more for one, probably, all other things equal... Once these cars go out of warranty, ans some owners get tagged with many thousand repair bills, the internet will come alive with complaints, and that will scare some people and make this a car to avoid.

Yup........well said..........they prey on suckers.........everyone forgets, Ford is a business and only wants to make money. Feel sorry for those who paid $10k plus premium, or KR owners who no longer own the most powerful blah, blah, blah........and don't tell me about investment with a KR........there are better investments than cars........you'll be burried before you see that money

Remember the '82 mustang " the boss is back" wow, a whole 157 hp, then in 1985 roller motor with 210 hp, then in 1987 with 225 hp, then, then, then..................??? See my point, improvements are there but only a bit per year are given to us.

Geez, glad I paid invoice but who was to know the economy would turn and 08/09's now below invoice with rebates etc.........

So enjoy what you have, mod it, personalize it and have fun because if you keep trying to have the latest and greatest, you'll be broke $$$ !!! and don't ever be the first to own something because you'll pay dearly for it.

+1

I don't expect our cars to ever match the $$$ of the "original" Shelby Mustangs, but, up to a certain point, each year will bring new improvements, horses, etc. I can't afford to get caught up in having the "newest, hottest" so I'm going to be happy with my very low production (actually pre-production) Alloy convertible. As someone mentioned, it has the Shelby name and a character that is unmistakable! I had a 64 1/2 289 coupe--took it to college and sold it just before all the bondo fell out of it. Had a '72 w/351C, big as a boat and then followed it up with a '92 5.0, 5 speed. They were all great and people who knew me then still remember me by the cars I drove.....

Just have fun!

Great discussion...I really brought my GT500 convertible to drive not as an investment. I traded a 05 GT convertible and I can verify that the 500 is well worth the additional cost. This is true not only because of the additional power of the car but also because of the uniqueness of the car. My wife and I took a road trip this summer in the Shelby along the east coast. We started in Virgina Beach, made it to Key West and back up the gulf coast to Fort Myers and then back to Ohio. On that trip I saw loads of Corvettes and Mustang GT's, but I only saw one other Shelby GT 500. It was a white coupe in Miami, driven by a guy who like to show off the power of the Shelby. You could tell by the reaction of the folks I saw in gas stations and/or those I passed on the road they also did not see very many Shelby GT 500's. At gas stations it was not out of the ordinary to have someone come up and ask about the car and want to see the engine. On the road I was amazed how may people would slow to check out the car and/or wave and honk their horns. I now have 22,000 mile on my GT500 and have had the clutch and top TSB's performed and it runs and looks like new (except for the tires)...I believe that they were built to be driven and not parked.

Charlie B.

Hudy, great sentiment. I feel the same. On a road trip to Myrtle Beach from KY, I experienced the same kind of reactions. Every gas stop was a conversation about the car. I've always had sharp convertibles, but this is an entirely different animal.....

Have fun!

You all do realize that with out all these stepping stones the cars wouldn't be what they are today if they would even exist at all!! Ford has done a pretty fair job of keeping us wanting for bigger and better!!!! Proud owner of an 08 GT500KR and will never regret it!!!!!! #53 and 68 fastback s-code, 88 t-top, 98 gt conv. 70 Mach1 post-21594-1231391539_thumb.jpg

My view is that cars are made to be driven, and you only live once. No point in owning these machines if you're only going to worship it as it sits in a plastic coffin. Plus, I feel that this is the last time these cars will be affordable to drive. Gas isn't going to be getting any cheaper. The only reason it's as cheap as it is is because the economy is in the crapper, and as soon as it recovers $3+ gas shall rear its ugly head once more. Drive them while you still can, you never know how long you'll be able to.

In regards to these cars retaining or increasing in value, I think they will eventually, but you'd probably get a better return on your investment in less time if you'd put your money in the stock market.

Cars just aren't very good investments: they take a long time to appreciate if at all, require a rather large initial investment, and if your intention is to use them as an investment then you can't use them much for their intended purpose.

Great discussion...I really brought my GT500 convertible to drive not as an investment. I traded a 05 GT convertible and I can verify that the 500 is well worth the additional cost. This is true not only because of the additional power of the car but also because of the uniqueness of the car. My wife and I took a road trip this summer in the Shelby along the east coast. We started in Virgina Beach, made it to Key West and back up the gulf coast to Fort Myers and then back to Ohio. On that trip I saw loads of Corvettes and Mustang GT's, but I only saw one other Shelby GT 500. It was a white coupe in Miami, driven by a guy who like to show off the power of the Shelby. You could tell by the reaction of the folks I saw in gas stations and/or those I passed on the road they also did not see very many Shelby GT 500's. At gas stations it was not out of the ordinary to have someone come up and ask about the car and want to see the engine. On the road I was amazed how may people would slow to check out the car and/or wave and honk their horns. I now have 22,000 mile on my GT500 and have had the clutch and top TSB's performed and it runs and looks like new (except for the tires)...I believe that they were built to be driven and not parked.

Charlie B.

Welcome Charlie. Great first post. :yup:

:lurk:

Everyone that has replied seems to agree that we bought the cars to drive them. I totally agree. Buying this car gave the me opportunity to drive from Norfolk, VA to Sacramento CA in a helluva car. I also got to see a close family friend before she passed away.

This is the most powerful car I've ever driven - let alone owned! What an opportunity! I plan to drive this car, eventually Super Snake it (after saving the $$$), and own a 750-HP monster!!! That'll always be a lot of stinking horses. It doesn't hurt that it is a Shelby. Had I not purchased the GT500, I never would have considered owning a 750-HP car. It just didn't seem realistic or practical.

Best case...it'll appreciate and we'll all be multi-millionaires in 40 years. Worst case...it'll end up like the GLHS. Neither are bad...in my opinion.

Proud owner of one of only 6 GT500's offered through Exchange Military Sales (2009 Performance White w/Vista Blue).

Vett's keep dropping all the way down to teens, but they build a gazillion a year, plus they seem to carry more of a stigma as the get about two body styles old. Then they rebound and get super cool! Stangs seem somwhat isolated from this effect, especially anything with SVT on it, or even more so Shelby.

100% valid point, I sold my 99 vette convertible last year for $16,000 and it was superb shape. as soon as the C6 came out, my C5 looked very dated.

:yahoo: I will take any Shelby that is made! I am very satisfied with my 2007 Black with the Red Stripe package. :happy feet: :yahoo: ge.

That is the way I look at it too. I am so glad Shelby and Ford got back together for the sake of the Mustang! This has got to be the best times for us Mustang enthusiasts. I thought, as I grew up, that all the people before me got the see the greatest times for cars during the '60's and early 70's, and that it would never be the same. It is not the same, but better now. These cars we all get to enjoy, are all so awesome, and the Mustang community is a super fun one to be a part of!

I've read about a fair amount of discontent with the fact that Ford has upped the horsepower on the 2010 and is even considering an aluminum block for 2011. In addition, I've also read where some folks are questioning the value of the price of a GT500/GT500KR versus what you get. Here are my observations, just my .02....

* There exists roughly $10K in difference between the MSRP price of a GT500 coupe in the mid 40s versus a loaded Mustang GT in the mid 30s. For $10K, you get the supercharged 5.4 engine ('nuff said), 6-speed Tremec, Ford GT style wheels and F1 tires, suspension and Baer brake upgrades, interior/exterior enhancements, etc. And oh yeah, the Carroll Shelby lineage. So in my humble opinion $10K is a pretty good deal!

* I liked it when the GT500 was touted as the "most powerful factory Mustang ever" at 500 hp. Then the KR upped the ante to 540 hp. Honestly though, would we really want to see the Camaro and possibly Challenger pass the GT500 in performance? I am glad that Ford continues to improve the breed.

* For those worried about exclusivity, that is a valid concern. But think about how many GT500s you pass on the road. If you're worried about quantity, consider the fact that GM produced nearly 118,000 of the highly desireable 1963-67 Corvette Stingrays. I realize that's a different animal but the point is somewhat high production does not necessarily mean the collectability and desireability goes down the drain.

I've been a Carroll Shelby fan ever since I was 14 and saw an unusual Mustang that had long rectangular tail lights and S-H-E-L-B-Y across the deck lid at a car show at Six Flags. One of the worst decisions in my life was to sell my 1966 Hertz car 20 years ago. I was able to somewhat correct this mistake last August and am patiently hoping for SAI to offer a "red stripe" Super Snake package; or plan 'B' would be to install the Ford racing power and handling packs and 3.73 gears. :drool:

Ford offers incentives on the Mustang GT which puts it @ $25000 and most Shelby GT500 are $46000+ thats $21000 not $10000.But @ $21000 it's still worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
My personal opinion is that I wanted a 40th anniv. not a 41st,42nd,43rd etc..

+1

Original owner of a 40th anniversary 2007 model year, 40th Anniversary Package, SuperSnake performance, Carroll Shelby's personal signature on the dash, go to my grave happy. Done deal. Why would I ever want to sell this car unless I absolutely had to for financial reasons? (My house would go first as there is far more cash and equity, even in a down real estate market) Who cares about the future value.

The problem I have with the KR's is the price. The car looks fantastic but come on....40k more than a standard GT500?? Don't get me wrong, I love these cars. I just bought my second 08 GT500 after selling my 1st one last year. What a regret that was. However, the market is in a place now where if you haven't bought one of these cars yet, now is the time buy or trade for a new one. I was lucky enough to smoke out a great deal thousands under invoice. Basically, the laws of supply and demand have cought up with these cars. When they first came out, 10-25k over msrp was common. 2008's were going for msrp-10k over. 2009's are now selling for invoice to msrp depending on the dealer. I searched for a 2008 GT500 mainly to get a deal I couldn't get on an 09. I knew if a dealer still had a new 08 on his floor, he'd be more willing to deal on that than an 09. Result: $4,000.00 UNDER invoice. The tables have turned in the buyers favor for a little while.

I feel the 07-09 GT500's are the cars to keep. I will drive mine when I can, but I doubt I will put 500 miles a year on it. These cars are beautiful works of art. I am glad Ford is improving the 2010 as well as the plethora of aftermarket mods available to all of us. But the KR's price tag will no doubt hurt the dealers stuck with them unless they find the buyer looking for that exact car. Otherwise, why not just order a 540hp 2010 @ MSRP @ a savings of 30k?

Another thing to ponder... what's going to happen when Caroll Shelby himself is gone? Someday they won't be manufacturing a Shelby GT500, KR, SS... anything.

I never had the pleasure of owning older cars, but I definitely have the interest (I'm 25). I have an '08 Shelby GT500 and it's going to be with me until the day I'm what, 60, 70, 80? 70 years down the road the Shelby line is going to hold a legacy like no other. We're not talking about a regular Mustang, Camaro, or Charger, that can be brought back year after year, and modified to meet performance that's the norm for the era. If most are like me, I bought it because Carroll helped make it, and it has his name on it. The performance is a by-product, in my opinion, even though that's he does :-)

Gabe

I never had the pleasure of owning older cars, but I definitely have the interest (I'm 25). I have an '08 Shelby GT500 and it's going to be with me until the day I'm what, 60, 70, 80? 70 years down the road the Shelby line is going to hold a legacy like no other. We're not talking about a regular Mustang, Camaro, or Charger, that can be brought back year after year, and modified to meet performance that's the norm for the era. If most are like me, I bought it because Carroll helped make it, and it has his name on it. The performance is a by-product, in my opinion, even though that's he does :-)

Gabe

Gabe,

Great observations for a younster, you're spot on. The value of the car is not completely tied up in the performance. Mr. Shelby's personal touch is what will eventually make these cars special. The future cars will certainly outperform what we have today, but they will only have the dna, we have all the chromosomes.

TOTALLY AGREE!! and as to your comment on the economy. i paid 37,500 cash for mine in december. dealer had it on their lot for 180 days..... 510hp in 2010? With the money I saved, i can be looking at 620+hp and still break even with msrp.

My personal opinion is that I wanted a 40th anniv. not a 41st,42nd,43rd etc..

I second that comment.

Have the same 07 in the same color combo and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Although, would like an 08 KR to go along side it. The 08 would be the 4oth as well.

Like to see a 50th package, but I don't know if any of us will see that.

I second that comment.

Have the same 07 in the same color combo and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Although, would like an 08 KR to go along side it. The 08 would be the 4oth as well.

Like to see a 50th package, but I don't know if any of us will see that.

jnf,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of great stuff to be learned from this site. There is practically nothing that someone doesn't have an answer to and everyone has an opinion about everything. Have you posted pictures of your car yet?

jnf,

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of great stuff to be learned from this site. There is practically nothing that someone doesn't have an answer to and everyone has an opinion about everything. Have you posted pictures of your car yet?

Thanks Cobrafan. No pics yet, but soon.

And yes, there is a lot to be learned here. I have been reading all of the clutch and tranny issues. Trying to figure out why the service writer I deal with hasn't mentioned the TSB to me yet. I see him at least once every 6 weeks as they service my F-250 and my company E250 cargo van.

Gabe,

Great observations for a younster, you're spot on. The value of the car is not completely tied up in the performance. Mr. Shelby's personal touch is what will eventually make these cars special. The future cars will certainly outperform what we have today, but they will only have the dna, we have all the chromosomes.

Ha-ha, love it!! The first dealership I went to didn't take me seriously... young... wants a GT5000, "yeah okayyyy..." No big deal though, plenty of other dealers ready to make the sale :-) And +1, we have the first generation of the new GT500's. 'Nough said!!

Archived