TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Realistic improvements????? Opinions wanted

I have a few ?????????'s

Its an auto 06 mustang gt.It has Airrade cai and a tune.Dyno'd 268/271 at Jim's

The car currently runs (with me driving) 13.33-13.48 with a best of 13.23.....60' times are around2.10-2.14. It traps 101-103

With Sherry driving it runs 13.45-13.70's best of 13.38 60' 2.15-2.25 at 102-104

Thats on its factory tires with 3.55's.....

Would just changing to my slicks, give it a better time?It spins alot on the 17" Pirellas

Would 4.10's give it much of an improvement over factory gears?

If I was to add a 150 shot with my 15" bogarts and slicks skinnies up front (weight savings app. 70 lbs.), what would a realistic improvement be?

Then say to that add 4.10's and a converter????? Aluminum d/s also

On a another note,would the stock con. and tranny and rearend take the 150 shot with slicks?

I would like to get your opinions on it.

• 5 months later...

The factory 31 spline 8.8" rear axle is fairly tough. It can handle DOT slicks just fine. However, for repeated use with wrinkle walls- I might buy a set of axles (and a locking diff. at the same time for drag racing use).

Changing gears from 3.55 to 4.10 will make a big difference with your launch and 60' times. :speedie:

A higher stall converter will also help with a better launch- at the expensive of some drive-ability and transmission heat- when you're not racing.

To my knowledge- the entire car can handle the additional 150 hp from nitrous. HOWEVER, the main reason I don't use nitrous oxide, it the sudden burst of power that puts severe strain on parts. It essentially shocks many internal engine and transmission parts. Now, if you used a stepped or progressive controller- it would help reduce that shock. But, for the total cost of this you may rethink your plan.

What I would recommend is to determine how fast you want to go. This way you can figure out exactly which parts you need- instead of adding one on top of the other (which may conflict with something else). For instance, you may figure out that you need a 3200 stall instead of the 2800 with the 4.10 gears. You may figure out that an auxiliary transmission cooler is needed for repeated racing use.

Best of luck!

EDIT: I just realized I dug up an old thread.

Archived