TEAM SHELBY FORUM

500HP V-10 BMW M-6 Coupe vs. SGT/SC

Gentlemen,

I suppose many Team Shelby members are auto magazine junkies as am I. I enjoy reading about exotic hardware and its capabilities. Of all the BMWs being built today the M-6 stands at the pinnacle. With a base price of $102,500.00 plus options it would be a pretty heady purchase but it comes with some very high tech high-performance gear mounted on a highly modified chassis that has been lightened by several hundred pounds using a carbon fiber roof and side impact beams along with the extensive use of aluminum in place of steel components found on more pedestrian BMW 5 Series.

A 90°, 5.0 Liter, 40 valve, V-10 derived from BMWs Formula One effort pumps out 500+ horsepower at-a-stratospheric 8250 RPM redline. High pressure infinitely variable valve timing, G sensitive semi-dry sump lubrication, and couple all that power to a 7 speed sequential manual gearbox that's computer-controlled. With all the carbon fiber and aluminum components this great-looking little two door coupe weighs only 3771 pounds. I've never driven one but all of the magazine tests I read raved about this cars sophistication coupled with its supercar performance.

Riding alone in my Shelby GT on the way home today I came upon a solid black M-6 but we were in traffic so I was content to hang back and admire the car. That's one exotic ride that would probably stomp my supercharged little white Mustang. A couple miles down the road traffic cleared and our three lane divided highway was approaching one of the hundreds of stationary photo radar cameras that have sprung up like crabgrass all over the Phoenix area. We approached that camera at 55 mph side-by-side with the road ahead of us wide-open. I rev matched and cleared the camera in third gear. Once past the camera the little Shelby exploded forward putting several car lengths on the M-6 as it appeared that car's automatic/manual transmission required a little time to downshift through several gears. This is no fun. I backed off for a second or two and let him catch up. Now at full boil the little black BMW was hauling ass and I was paying more attention to the road and that black car than I was to my tachometer. An instant after I jumped back on the throttle I bounced off the rev limiter in third gear and the M-6 pulled a half car length ahead and didn't let up. Speed shift to 4th and the SGT/SC instantly started pulling the M-6. He should have quit when he was ahead as he was soon a full car length behind and got to see my brake lights flash on. This was the hardest accelerating challenger that my Shelby has ever encountered. The GT/SC annihilates most cars like they were dragging steam ship anchors. Still, the SGT/SC's performance edge was clear and decisive.

Wow!!!!! $102,000.00 worth of light weight, 500HP, V-10, 4 valve head, German high performance hardware still can't run heads up with a smaller engined, 3 valve head, V-8, Whipple equipped SGT/SC. I had slowed back down to about 50 mph and the M-6 slowed down as well. The driver was apparently pushing all of the high performance engine and transmisson buttons on his console and wished to give it one more go. Road clear......OK.....3rd gear.......after you.....and off he went......with the same result. The Shelby GT/SC pulled steadally ahead of that M-6 Coupe even at speeds a bit higher than I should have allowed. Normaly after a friendly auto matchup I like to have a brief chat, win or lose, with the other driver but there were no stoplights coming up so I made a u-turn (I had missed my turn during our run) and headed home.

I thought about both cars during the rest of my drive. I have never dyno'ed my GT/SC but it has to be over 500 crank HP to pull a new M-6 like that, even though the Mustang has a slight weight advantage. Then I thought about spending 6 figures plus tax & license for the hottest sport sedan that BMW has ever built, paying a $50,000 premium for the M option over the standard 5 series. And having my Ultimate of Ultimate Driving Machines humiliated by a stock looking $40,000 Mustang. Would I ever feel the same way about my BMW again?? I don't know. A GT500 owner who gets smoked by a stock looking (but probably not stock)Subaru WRX might feel the same way.

I know I have said it before but I'll repeat it here. The GT500 (and I know 'cause I own one) doesn't even come close. Only a few of the most exotic cars ever produced, Z06 to the Enzo, can out accelerate a properly tuned SGT/SC. Supercar performance for average Joes like me!!! Gotta like that! Happy New Year.

Chip

That is a great story - if only I had the $10K to go GT/SC... :dreamy:

+1000 Ilmor....I would love to S/C my SGT, but the house needs a lot of work right now...new floors, some remodeling of the kitchen and baths, new windows, new roof, and some crappy adobe brick that I've got to replace...man, it'll be a while before I can afford a S/C, but hopefully someday my ship will come in...just hope it doesn't arrive at the airport...

Nice story Chip.

I'm researching getting mine supercharged so I'm wondering what you have and where it was tuned.

I think I've decided to go twin screw but I'm still trying to decide on the Saleen or the Ford.

I'd love the Kenne Bell but the others offer a warranty.

Cheers,

John

Nice story Chip.

I'm researching getting mine supercharged so I'm wondering what you have and where it was tuned.

I think I've decided to go twin screw but I'm still trying to decide on the Saleen or the Ford.

I'd love the Kenne Bell but the others offer a warranty.

Cheers,

John

John,

I keep hearing guys in the forum talking about loosing there warranty when they super charge there SGT. It is just not true. If you have SAI do the install then it doesn't void the warranty. This was a big concern for me when I had SAI super charge my car. I talked to Bud, he didn't know. I talked to the owner of Roberson Ford in Bend OR and he set up a meeting with his warranty guy. We called Ford HQ and I was told and have the paperwork for the extended 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty that includes my Kenne Bell super charger. It was explained to me that because the car was sold as a Shelby GT by a Ford Dealer that as long as the upgrade (S/C) was done by Shelby (SAI) that it was covered under the Ford warranty. Now if you have the super charger installed some place else???

GOOD LUCK

Gentlemen,

I suppose many Team Shelby members are auto magazine junkies as am I. I enjoy reading about exotic hardware and its capabilities. Of all the BMWs being built today the M-6 stands at the pinnacle. With a base price of $102,500.00 plus options it would be a pretty heady purchase but it comes with some very high tech high-performance gear mounted on a highly modified chassis that has been lightened by several hundred pounds using a carbon fiber roof and side impact beams along with the extensive use of aluminum in place of steel components found on more pedestrian BMW 5 Series.

A 90°, 5.0 Liter, 40 valve, V-10 derived from BMWs Formula One effort pumps out 500+ horsepower at-a-stratospheric 8250 RPM redline. High pressure infinitely variable valve timing, G sensitive semi-dry sump lubrication, and couple all that power to a 7 speed sequential manual gearbox that's computer-controlled. With all the carbon fiber and aluminum components this great-looking little two door coupe weighs only 3771 pounds. I've never driven one but all of the magazine tests I read raved about this cars sophistication coupled with its supercar performance.

Riding alone in my Shelby GT on the way home today I came upon a solid black M-6 but we were in traffic so I was content to hang back and admire the car. That's one exotic ride that would probably stomp my supercharged little white Mustang. A couple miles down the road traffic cleared and our three lane divided highway was approaching one of the hundreds of stationary photo radar cameras that have sprung up like crabgrass all over the Phoenix area. We approached that camera at 55 mph side-by-side with the road ahead of us wide-open. I rev matched and cleared the camera in third gear. Once past the camera the little Shelby exploded forward putting several car lengths on the M-6 as it appeared that car's automatic/manual transmission required a little time to downshift through several gears. This is no fun. I backed off for a second or two and let him catch up. Now at full boil the little black BMW was hauling ass and I was paying more attention to the road and that black car than I was to my tachometer. An instant after I jumped back on the throttle I bounced off the rev limiter in third gear and the M-6 pulled a half car length ahead and didn't let up. Speed shift to 4th and the SGT/SC instantly started pulling the M-6. He should have quit when he was ahead as he was soon a full car length behind and got to see my brake lights flash on. This was the hardest accelerating challenger that my Shelby has ever encountered. The GT/SC annihilates most cars like they were dragging steam ship anchors. Still, the SGT/SC's performance edge was clear and decisive.

Wow!!!!! $102,000.00 worth of light weight, 500HP, V-10, 4 valve head, German high performance hardware still can't run heads up with a smaller engined, 3 valve head, V-8, Whipple equipped SGT/SC. I had slowed back down to about 50 mph and the M-6 slowed down as well. The driver was apparently pushing all of the high performance engine and transmisson buttons on his console and wished to give it one more go. Road clear......OK.....3rd gear.......after you.....and off he went......with the same result. The Shelby GT/SC pulled steadally ahead of that M-6 Coupe even at speeds a bit higher than I should have allowed. Normaly after a friendly auto matchup I like to have a brief chat, win or lose, with the other driver but there were no stoplights coming up so I made a u-turn (I had missed my turn during our run) and headed home.

I thought about both cars during the rest of my drive. I have never dyno'ed my GT/SC but it has to be over 500 crank HP to pull a new M-6 like that, even though the Mustang has a slight weight advantage. Then I thought about spending 6 figures plus tax & license for the hottest sport sedan that BMW has ever built, paying a $50,000 premium for the M option over the standard 5 series. And having my Ultimate of Ultimate Driving Machines humiliated by a stock looking $40,000 Mustang. Would I ever feel the same way about my BMW again?? I don't know. A GT500 owner who gets smoked by a stock looking (but probably not stock)Subaru WRX might feel the same way.

I know I have said it before but I'll repeat it here. The GT500 (and I know 'cause I own one) doesn't even come close. Only a few of the most exotic cars ever produced, Z06 to the Enzo, can out accelerate a properly tuned SGT/SC. Supercar performance for average Joes like me!!! Gotta like that! Happy New Year.

Chip

I hear ya! Guy down here in south Florida in his modified 350Z found out just how quick a GT/SC is! I slowed up next to him to ask him if he thinks his turbo is big enough, he decided no. But, I think he thought he was messing with a regular GT Mustang so next time boys look at the stripes first... :finger:

John,

I keep hearing guys in the forum talking about loosing there warranty when they super charge there SGT. It is just not true.

Thanks for this info.

Makes me start going back to the Kenne Bell. Long drive to Vegas though from Nashville!!! :shift:

Cheers,

John

No. It is against Federal Law for a Dealer to refuse a warranty claim because an aftermarket product has been installed on your vehicle. If a warranty is denied, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. (copy and paste from KB site)

Rick

I have to agree with Ilmor and and Motorjock, it would be great to have the SC but it is not in the cards at my house. I have a daughter that will be starting college next year and she will get all the extra cash for awhile.

Unless I win a lottery it may not happen for me.

Chip - Your writing prowess is next to none as I could actually see the "drag race' in my mind like a video as your were writing it. Over the years I have owned many Mustangs but this Mustang is the best one I have ever had. Now all I have to do is Whipple SC this car and all will be good. Then and only then can I write stories like you, ofcourse not as magical though-

Good post!

Very good story indeed, now I just need to get my whipple so I can have a similar experience. Every time you post about the difference between your GT500 and Shelby GT/SC it makes me so happy I picked the Shelby GT. I picked it mostly because I like the look a lot more, but the fact that 10K will make it perform better makes it that much better!!!!!!!!!

Chip

I had just about decided not ot SC my car and then this.... :shift:

I love the comparison to the "elite German cars" and especially the GT500!

I wonder if a Paxton would have the same result....?

Great story.

Dan

Very good story indeed, now I just need to get my whipple so I can have a similar experience. Every time you post about the difference between your GT500 and Shelby GT/SC it makes me so happy I picked the Shelby GT. I picked it mostly because I like the look a lot more, but the fact that 10K will make it perform better makes it that much better!!!!!!!!!

Amen Brother! :happy feet:

Chip -

You have great stories and tell them well. The question is... does your son hear / read / experience these? ;) I have an 18-month old son who loves the sound of this car (especially with the top down) when you hit the gas. I never drive it hard when he or my wife are with me, but he loves to say "Go" and then just squeals with joy and laughter when you step on in for a few seconds. Best feeling in the world. But I wonder where / what that joy will lead him to want to do with a car when he's 18 years instead of 18 months.

Take care,

Matt

post-14757-1231469190_thumb.jpg

P.S. - Keep the stories coming!

Chip -

You have great stories and tell them well. The question is... does your son hear / read / experience these? ;) I have an 18-month old son who loves the sound of this car (especially with the top down) when you hit the gas. I never drive it hard when he or my wife are with me, but he loves to say "Go" and then just squeals with joy and laughter when you step on in for a few seconds. Best feeling in the world. But I wonder where / what that joy will lead him to want to do with a car when he's 18 years instead of 18 months.

Take care,

Matt

post-14757-1231469190_thumb.jpg

P.S. - Keep the stories coming!

Something to think about Matt. One thing's for sure though, judging by the picture, he's enjoying your Shelby now. Great looking kid.

Jim

I don't get on this forum much, but this is a great thread. I live in Dallas and went witht the Ford Racing (whipple) intercooled supercharger and shorty headers. I always wanted to run up against a GT500 thinking the lighter SGT with comparable horsepower would give it a run for the money..Sounds like you guys have some experience with this.

The funnest race was out on I-20 coming back from East Texas when a black car ( I first thought it was a Maserati) came screaming up behind me. I was easing along, grooving on the radio with the A/C going and he pulled up next to me and punched it. I was in 5th and punched it and he pulled away nicely. Oh Hell NO!! I was still trying to figure out what it was...a two seater, hard top convertible and then I saw a BMW emblem. Hmm, never saw one of these, but in any event, turned off the comforts, put it up into third and ran the SGT nose right up his rear. He took off, but the ole Ford just hung right on his rear. We played cat and mouse for several miles and the SGT was just a little bit faster. That being said, it was the fastest thing I ever came up against.

Had to get on the net later that evening to ID the car. It was a M8. Man, that was one fast Beamer.

I love the Whipple, and even though I had a leaking intercooler early on, it was great dealing with Art Whipple and he fixed me up with overnight shipping from California to DFW.

Play safe!

I don't get on this forum much, but this is a great thread. I live in Dallas and went witht the Ford Racing (whipple) intercooled supercharger and shorty headers. I always wanted to run up against a GT500 thinking the lighter SGT with comparable horsepower would give it a run for the money..Sounds like you guys have some experience with this.

The funnest race was out on I-20 coming back from East Texas when a black car ( I first thought it was a Maserati) came screaming up behind me. I was easing along, grooving on the radio with the A/C going and he pulled up next to me and punched it. I was in 5th and punched it and he pulled away nicely. Oh Hell NO!! I was still trying to figure out what it was...a two seater, hard top convertible and then I saw a BMW emblem. Hmm, never saw one of these, but in any event, turned off the comforts, put it up into third and ran the SGT nose right up his rear. He took off, but the ole Ford just hung right on his rear. We played cat and mouse for several miles and the SGT was just a little bit faster. That being said, it was the fastest thing I ever came up against.

Had to get on the net later that evening to ID the car. It was a M8. Man, that was one fast Beamer.

I love the Whipple, and even though I had a leaking intercooler early on, it was great dealing with Art Whipple and he fixed me up with overnight shipping from California to DFW.

Play safe!

Correction, make that a Z8!!

Archived