TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs. Roush

JLinHB7

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays! I currently own a 2007 Shelby GT and considering adding a GT500 or Roush 428R to my stable but have a few concerns after going thru hell with the Shelby GT warranty issues regarding the hood scoop and stripes. Are there any longstanding issues with the GT500? I am leaning toward the GT500 due to some Roush warranty issues and would appreciate any input!

Thank you :salute:

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays! I currently own a 2007 Shelby GT and considering adding a GT500 or Roush 428R to my stable but have a few concerns after going thru hell with the Shelby GT warranty issues regarding the hood scoop and stripes. Are there any longstanding issues with the GT500? I am leaning toward the GT500 due to some Roush warranty issues and would appreciate any input!

Thank you :salute:

Very welcome to this forum...Great people around lots of info available.

I will advice to go with 09 GT500 built after august 08 to avoid the dreaded trans issue related to the older flywheel described in many threads in the sticky section that i suggest to read.

:salute:

Welcome to Team Shelby you're going to love it here!! Great people.

At any rate, both are beautiful cars. Personally, I think the Shelby GT500 platform is superior considering practically the whole car was built to withstand the stresses that 500hp puts on the car - the heads, the intercooler, the trans, everything. If I'm not mistaken, the Roush still uses the 4.6L which will handle only so much... I think the 5.4L in the GT500 can handle the abuse better than the Roush.

Plus, you have Caroll Shelby's name on it. Again, both beautiful cars, but... the GT500 has more charisma.

As stated above, the only real issues coming about on the GT500's are the clutch problems, but again, getting a 2009 I believe will avoid those issues. Happy Hunting.

Stock they very comparable for speed, braking and cornering. However you can easily add another 200 HP to the GT500, while the 428R is already pushing its limit.

When the ADM's were sky high on the GT500 I was prepared to order a 427R, then I found a deal on a GT500 I could live with. Today you can pick up better deals on the GT500 than the 428R.

Good luck with your decision.

A good friend has a Roush 427R and it is amazing in terms of performance, handling and appearance.

Yes, it does have the 4.6 motor but it is supercharged and has nice brake upgrades too.

Fully loaded off the showroom floor, therefore not much issue downstream of spending more hard earned US $s for mods.

However, IMO there is nothing like a Shelby.

It doesn't matter what flavor - SGT, GT500 or GT500KR

So, if I had the opportunity to add another fine steed to my garage it would definitely be the GT500.

Just my 2 cents.

Lg

Roush:

PRO's:

Better suspension

Better handling in all respects

Lighter in weight

Nicer interior (to some) but you really gotta like carbon fiber!

Cons:

TERRIBLE after sale service, long wait on parts sometimes (like Saleen)

Terrible fit/finish on them for some reason

4.6L blown to a level that does not promote long term reliability

RICER body components

Hope that helps. I too looked at this as an option a long time ago.

I would like to add that both cars are very fun, I have 2 shelby Gt500's tungsten, and red, Both are great cars!! I also have a Roush Stage 1 with all the stage 2 things added but brakes and then some, There is so much to add to these cars and my wife finailly told me buy your own so the 500 is here, her car and the guys who know me have seen it and it's in the wild horses book is thatt it turns heads everywhere we go and has numerous 1st palce trophy's, and I paid half of what I got in my 500, I think it comes down to what you like, I always wanted a shelby, got and still working bugs out of it! the roush is modiefied and worked all the bugs out, they are both great cars but the Shelby is a Shelby and I love it more. But would not get rid of either,Later Mickey

If yer considering a Roush, buy the P51...if you can find one. I took one for a drive and it is a frickin animal. Fully forged bottom end and a TVS to boot. Handles like a Roush should and has all the powr of the GT500, not to mention room to grow. The downside is the price tag, 65K or so.

I must also say that I was not impressed with the Roush short shifter. Waaaay too loose and finding gears can be a pain in the heat of things. No spring tension to giude it in really and constantly hitting the gates or missing a shift. Simple fix though. Last but not least...the exhaust pulse and drone in the passenger compartment was totally unacceptable. But, I really don't think the car was built for comfort. It's fast, loud and obnoxious.

So in closing...I say go with the GT500, of course. It's fast, comfortable and a lot cheaper. You can really make it what you want it to be.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions, I dint consider a point that several people brought up.... The GT500 has the 5.4L vs the 4.6L of the 428R. I never took that into consideration plus the cost and customer service aspect. Also having the name SHELBY on it says it all!

:lurk:

Archived