TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Awwww, isn't this nice of Chrysler....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/29...page-thank-ads/

....to spend roughly 1/3 of a million $$'s in newspaper ad's to thank the American public for giving them money even though according to polls the majority of the American public was against it and the American public had absolutely no say-so at all as far as what to do with the money.

Genuine heart-felt gratitude or just rubbing salt in an open wound? You decide.....

One of two things here:

1. These Exec's are completely out of touch with the public, out of touch with reality, and do not have any access to newspapers, TV's, internet or smoke signals and as such are living under a rock or,

2. They are completely indifferent to the opinions of the public since it really doesn't matter what we think anyway.

This is a tough one. In that article, at the bottom, the person says to spend the money making a car that people want to buy. I'm willing to bet that the person who said that hasn't bough American for years and has no intention to do so in the coming years.

You are either for or against the bail-out. There is no middle ground today.

I personally like the fact that Chrysler said thanks. If they said nothing, the postings would continue from the "other" side.

Ultimately, we, as Americans, need to look in our garage. If we see a foriegn car.....

Buy, Build, Be American.

This is a tough one. In that article, at the bottom, the person says to spend the money making a car that people want to buy. I'm willing to bet that the person who said that hasn't bough American for years and has no intention to do so in the coming years.

I personally like the fact that Chrysler said thanks. If they said nothing, the postings would continue from the "other" side.

Ultimately, we, as Americans, need to look in our garage. If we see a foriegn car.....

Buy, Build, Be American.

I agree. If more people had stuck with American over the years, maybe we won't have to fork out all of this bail out money now.

I am 57 years old and bought my first car in 1969, a used 1964 Chevy Bel Air. I have NEVER owned or even looked at a foreign car. I have always favored GM. Before my SGT, the two Fords I did own were the biggest pieces of :censored: on 4 wheels. Sorry you Ford guys. Now I have my SGT, a Dodge Dakota 4x4 and a Pontiac Grand Am. I figure I have all of the bases covered now. Until the day my parents died, they NEVER even considered buying or owning a foreign car, either. Always a Big 3 product.

Sounds Like a good advertising return to me. To sell some cars.

You guys ever been in the car business its all about the ad's and P.R.

Besides, you guys don't send thank you cards?

4 billion is 4,000 million dollars. Pays to advertise...1/3 a million is a drop in that math.

Now do the patriotic thing and turn off Fox News and think about who Senator Shelby and the rest of them against this loan represent.

Who pays them?

Supporting the 1 million Americans who work for Chrysler sounds good to me.

Fox news is a joke. And so is this article.

Buy, Build, Be American.

My 1993 Ford Crown Victoris was built in Canada. Many of the engines and parts are imported for the Big 3. There's a Nissan plant less than 5 miles from my house. So what's a foreign car?

I don't want Chrysler's thanks; it's not like I had a choice in the matter and I'm not giving of my own free will, which is the way I like to give. What's really insulting about Chrysler is that they are privately owned by Cerebus, and Cerebus could have afforded to bail itself out but chose not too and instead take from the people.

I'm thankful for Fox News and the posting of the article.

Buy, Build, Be American.

I agree with Astro, I dont expect Chrysler to stop advertising because they received the bailout. Advertising is part of selling cars, and I think the thought process was to make sure America knows they appreciated the support and they are going to try to make good on it.

Seems to me their ways of sending a thank you not to America, and I cant fault them for that, but sometimes the media is looking for ways to point the finger no matter what they do.

JMO

FP

My 1993 Ford Crown Victoris was built in Canada. Many of the engines and parts are imported for the Big 3. There's a Nissan plant less than 5 miles from my house. So what's a foreign car?

My definition of a foreign car is who ultimately receives the profits from the car sold at the end of the day, a foreign company or a US company.

US automakers are not perfect, but I still prefer to support American based companies if possible. I think they are finally on the right track (not done to be certain) to compete with the Euro cars, was very happy to see the CTS-V put a hurt on the M5 and set a record on the Ring at the same time, ZR1 is excellent, and Ford has a Twin Turbo going into a sedan...Things may be looking up, at least I hope.

FP

I agree. If more people had stuck with American over the years, maybe we won't have to fork out all of this bail out money now.

I am 57 years old and bought my first car in 1969, a used 1964 Chevy Bel Air. I have NEVER owned or even looked at a foreign car. I have always favored GM. Before my SGT, the two Fords I did own were the biggest pieces of :censored: on 4 wheels. Sorry you Ford guys. Now I have my SGT, a Dodge Dakota 4x4 and a Pontiac Grand Am. I figure I have all of the bases covered now. Until the day my parents died, they NEVER even considered buying or owning a foreign car, either. Always a Big 3 product.

thats the problem, when faced with buy American only, even when it was a piece of crap,

MANY DID.

So that became their business model.

"Who cares if its a piece of crap, they will buy it anyway..."

UNTIL THEY DIDNT!

now Im unAmerican cause I skipped buying the piece of crap?

Nice try. But I dont think so.

This sounds like more drivel produced by the sore losers that

should have started building BETTER CARS 30 years ago AND THEN

WE WOULDNT BE IN THIS SITUATION.

Stop the brainwashing retoric and realize the truth.

The better cars won.

And just like the people who thought Americans WOULD NEVER stop driving

and they could raise the gas prices as high as they like....

HOW IS THAT WORKING OUT?

Americans have done the impossible and drove BILLIONS of Less miles in 2008

and driven the prices back 10 years.

.....the BIG 3 would have been wiser to believe in the American public as smart consumers

not sheep blindly led by "Buy American" regardless of quality.

Huge business continues to learn lessons from the buying public.

Too bad the Big 3 STILL HAVE NOT CAUGHT ON!

This post was more of a venting on my part.

It is not directed at anyone NOT ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

OF THE BIG 3 AUTOMAKERS IN DETROIT.

I mean no offense to anyone who feels differently.

Just stating my opinion.

My definition of a foreign car is who ultimately receives the profits from the car sold at the end of the day, a foreign company or a US company.

US automakers are not perfect, but I still prefer to support American based companies if possible. I think they are finally on the right track (not done to be certain) to compete with the Euro cars, was very happy to see the CTS-V put a hurt on the M5 and set a record on the Ring at the same time, ZR1 is excellent, and Ford has a Twin Turbo going into a sedan...Things may be looking up, at least I hope.

FP

I feel ya, but in today's global market it's unrealistic to just buy American. We have banks and all sorts of "American" companies owned by foreign investors. It's too much to ask of someone to sort the wheat from the chaff before they buy everything they purchase.

I would say that a foriegn car is made by a company that is traded at an exchange NOT on Wall Street.

Life is an endless stream of choices. I see Stump owns a Nissan Titan and a Hyundai Sonata. I'm sure they were the best things for him at the time. His choice, my choice, your choice. Which is right and which is wrong?

Careful. Some on here do not accept thinking out of the box!

Helpfull

I would say that a foriegn car is made by a company that is traded at an exchange NOT on Wall Street.

Life is an endless stream of choices. I see Stump owns a Nissan Titan and a Hyundai Sonata. I'm sure they were the best things for him at the time. His choice, my choice, your choice. Which is right and which is wrong?

I'll be the first to admit the Hyundai we own is 100% without-a-doubt foriegn and much to my chagrin has been one of the best daily drivers we have owned.

I have tried in vain to get my wife to trade this low maintenance, good mpg, trouble free completely paid-for car in exchange for a high maintenance, needs-to-go-to-the-dealership all the time, gas guzzler with yet another over-inflated car payment but she will not relent no matter how much I bribe and beg her. :hysterical:

It was bought used at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership though if that helps anyone sit taller on their high horses.

Well how about the banks And what about AIG's holiday in ca that we payed for Citibank still has it's name on a ball park for 400 million that we payed for what about that folks. I would rather give money to automakers than the banks. How much interest did banks charge on loans and what were they giving on savings. You guys are mad at the wrong thing 700 BILLION to the banks with no strings attached and they are NOT going to pay it back!!!

The government should have given them the money out of the 700 billion after all banks have no idea how money works other wise they wouldn't go under right.

These are the facts. We are in a recession and if the auto company's go out of business then we will go into a depression. Stores are closing people are being let go in every area of the workforce. Automakers employ so many and need support from so many different company's that if they go under so does the country.

If you really dont want the auto company's to get money then go buy a car that's the reason that they are in the tank in the first place.

Toyota and Honda are also having trouble so the big theer are not alone.

What would the country think if Foreign auto manufactures went to Washington to ask for money?

Art

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/29...page-thank-ads/

....to spend roughly 1/3 of a million $$'s in newspaper ad's to thank the American public for giving them money even though according to polls the majority of the American public was against it and the American public had absolutely no say-so at all as far as what to do with the money.

Genuine heart-felt gratitude or just rubbing salt in an open wound? You decide.....

I'm Pissed!! I rant everyday about this and try not to get upset. What a waste of freaking money!

What in the world are they thinking? Piss the money away cause the taxpayers will take care of them. Comes out of our paychecks. Our tax dollars just paid for a Thank you! I need to really calm down. It time to stand up and makes some real loud noise!

I would rather give it to the automakers also but be creative and spend it properly. Know one is watching this and it will be gone in a flash of and eye.

Glenn

thats the problem, when faced with buy American only, even when it was a piece of crap,

MANY DID.

So that became their business model.

"Who cares if its a piece of crap, they will buy it anyway..."

UNTIL THEY DIDNT!

now Im unAmerican cause I skipped buying the piece of crap?

Nice try. But I dont think so.

This sounds like more drivel produced by the sore losers that

should have started building BETTER CARS 30 years ago AND THEN

WE WOULDNT BE IN THIS SITUATION.

Stop the brainwashing retoric and realize the truth.

The better cars won.

And just like the people who thought Americans WOULD NEVER stop driving

and they could raise the gas prices as high as they like....

HOW IS THAT WORKING OUT?

Americans have done the impossible and drove BILLIONS of Less miles in 2008

and driven the prices back 10 years.

.....the BIG 3 would have been wiser to believe in the American public as smart consumers

not sheep blindly led by "Buy American" regardless of quality.

Huge business continues to learn lessons from the buying public.

Too bad the Big 3 STILL HAVE NOT CAUGHT ON!

This post was more of a venting on my part.

It is not directed at anyone NOT ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

OF THE BIG 3 AUTOMAKERS IN DETROIT.

I mean no offense to anyone who feels differently.

Just stating my opinion.

+1

Glenn

I feel ya, but in today's global market it's unrealistic to just buy American. We have banks and all sorts of "American" companies owned by foreign investors. It's too much to ask of someone to sort the wheat from the chaff before they buy everything they purchase.

I agree Doc, lots of companies are owned by foreign investors, but I think purchasing from companies that a foreign entity ownes the majority of provides them with the profit they need to buy more american companies, american land etc. I also agree you cant always and it can be difficult to determine which products are american and or what percentage of them are domestic/foreign, but some of the big guys are easy Walmart, Ford, Dell,..Ford owns the majority of Volvo and Mazda, so for me that means they get the majority of the profit. Another good one I found is Vizio, they are a domestic TV manafacturer (maybe assembler is a better word), and they have a great product, just when I thought all domestic TV companies were extinct....

Not saying you can buy 100% American, but I personally make it a point to make due diligence on major purchases.

FP

Of the "Big 3" (not sure if Chrysler is actually one of them anymore - might be Toyota instead, but anyway...) I think that Ford has been doing some good things the last couple of years. They're in better shape than the others now as a result. It looks like they have more good, interesting and quality cars coming our way. Now if they can just get the UAW labor costs & benefits under control...

Now if they can just get the UAW labor costs & benefits under control...

I too, believe this is also a large factor in the problem. I mean, everyone wants to make more and have more, but give me a break. They have to be competitive, if they are not they will flop anyway and then WE really get a rapin. Chris

That would involve executive intelligence.

with 3,700 dealers that would only leave you $84.00 per sign, and that does not cover much signage, maybe the adds were cheaper??

I agree that labor is the issue that the competition does not have to deal with, makes it tough.

Archived