TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Muffler Hole

ACCLERCR

Anyone have any issues with their stock mufflers?

This morning I just noticed a small hole oozing out water and black soot, and nice drops on my garage floor. The hole is on the inlet side of my right muffler, on the top of the lower lip. I brought it to 2 dealerships and both of them could not help me this week. Plus they BOTH told me that it would be a 2-step process. One day "for a technician to validate the problem"...this drove me crazy...I just asked them to have someone come out to the parking lot to see it then...but policy is policy for them. After the validation day, they have to order the muffler and then I have to bring it in again. Plus NO SATURDAY service. Anyone know any Saturday-service dealerships on Long Island, NY???

Anyway, please advise if anyone has experienced this...I only have about 1,100 miles on my 2008 GT500.

Also, on a similar note. I was really thinking about going forward with one of the Ford-racing performance (pack) upgrades but I don't know how much the dealerships are charging. Has anyone had these done? I'm also thinking of just running the risk and void my warranty and go to a local speed shop that would do the CAI, pulley change, and tune to crank out another 100 HP. Note: Before I consider either option, I want a new muffler.

Any other suggestion, please shoot away.

This morning I just noticed a small hole oozing out water and black soot, and nice drops on my garage floor. The hole is on the inlet side of my right muffler, on the top of the lower lip.

Many OEM mufflers have a weep hole to remove exhaust condensation.

My 1st suggestion is to take the car for longer drives to generate more heat in the exhaust system and burn off any residual condensation.

My 1st suggestion is to take the car for longer drives to generate more heat in the exhaust system and burn off any residual condensation.

Thanks for the reply. Shouldn't it have occurred on the left side as well? I just don't think that a 1000-mile (GT500) car dripping soot onto a nice garage floor is normal. I shouldn't have to worry about this...and putting down a towel or a rag just doesn't seem right.

Is there anything else I should do before bringing the car in to the dealership?

rlhay2 is correct. Your stock mufflers have weep holes in the front prortion to drain off excess condensation. I just checked my stock mufflers to make doubly sure before posting this and they have the same thing in the same location as yours. You can now rest easy, as this is normal. Mine has done the same thing since new and I now have 16K on it. This happens in many other vehicles and is nothing you need to concern yourself about or bring to the attention of a dealer, who will tell you the saqme thing we just did.

Replace the muffler with a better one IMO

The stock ones suck

I am putting my FRPP SGT's for sale pretty soon if your interested :D

low miles, excellent condition and good price

Thanks guys for the replies...I will cancel my appointment for next week....believe me, the last thing I want to do is have my car at a dealership.

On the muffler upgrade, are there 2 different types of Ford Racing mufflers? I love the sound of the Borla mufflers, which I was told that these are the same as the FR mufflers, but which one (as I believe that there are 2 different types).

Also, what is your opinion on going forward with upgrades outside of the dealerships and taking the chance with voiding the warranty? I like the JLT CAI kit, but I was told that the Steeda kit was comparable. I want to do the CAI, pulley change, tune and muffler change to get a good 525 RWHP....please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks guys for the replies...I will cancel my appointment for next week....believe me, the last thing I want to do is have my car at a dealership.

On the muffler upgrade, are there 2 different types of Ford Racing mufflers? I love the sound of the Borla mufflers, which I was told that these are the same as the FR mufflers, but which one (as I believe that there are 2 different types).

Also, what is your opinion on going forward with upgrades outside of the dealerships and taking the chance with voiding the warranty? I like the JLT CAI kit, but I was told that the Steeda kit was comparable. I want to do the CAI, pulley change, tune and muffler change to get a good 525 RWHP....please let me know your recommendations.

This is what you want:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9872

Ken

Sweet! These appear to be really free-flowing...

Question...I can still keep the originals, correct? I don't believe that they are welded on. Also, any recommendations for keeping them (storage) or just chuck'em?

Is it cheaper to order direct from Ford Racing?

Sweet! These appear to be really free-flowing...

Question...I can still keep the originals, correct? I don't believe that they are welded on. Also, any recommendations for keeping them (storage) or just chuck'em?

Is it cheaper to order direct from Ford Racing?

Mine has over 530 RWHP (I think you said you wanted to be at 525) with a stage 2 JLT kit and the Ford SVT mufflers specifcally designed for the Shelby GT500.

Total cost for mufflers, stage 2, installation of parts and dyno runs was about $2700

Muffler link......

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9872

Good luck.

$800 bones! Those must me the limited edition 2 year run :hysterical:

Yes, there's something wrong with that price....I checked Evolution Performance website and they had the same mufflers listed for $445.00. Are they the best to buy from?

Also, for the Stage 2 package, are you guys doing this yourself or did you have EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE do it for $2,700?

Yes, there's something wrong with that price....I checked Evolution Performance website and they had the same mufflers listed for $445.00. Are they the best to buy from?

Also, for the Stage 2 package, are you guys doing this yourself or did you have EVOLUTION PERFORMANCE do it for $2,700?

The one your seeing at Evolution Performance for $445.00 is the M-5230-5GT called the stinger. It's different than the M-5230-SGT. Go to the FRPP website and search exhaust and they list both sets with details.

Regards,

you can do the install yourself. I would get a dyno check for piece of mind and to make sure you are at a safe A/F ratio. I believe someone else responded with a note that mufflers you were looking at for $445 are not the ones designed for the Gt500. they will work and many on here use them but I choose to use the ones ford made for this car specifically. Personal choice.......

Also I notive EVO has the 'kr" mufflers which should work fine as well. Just open that wallet up and start spending some money :)

The one your seeing at Evolution Performance for $445.00 is the M-5230-5GT called the stinger. It's different than the M-5230-SGT. Go to the FRPP website and search exhaust and they list both sets with details.

Regards,

Gotchya now...the "5" is for the Mustang "GT" and the "S" version for the GT-500. Thanks!

Archived