TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More Clutch TSB

Mustang5

I suspect like many of you, every time I drive my car, I wonder if the transmission is operating normally. So here is my question. When I drive my car for the first time of the day, especially when the temperature is down around 30 - 40 degrees, I can feel some crunching going on as the shifter moves into second gear. After about 10-15 minutes when things are good and warmed up, I would have to say it shifts fairly smoothly, at least what I would consider normal. Having said that, I will admit that I am a little paranoid with the whole TSB thing. Other Mustangs I have had in the past: 87 GT and 98 Cobra did pretty much the same thing. Any thoughts?

A little paranoid :hysterical2: we all are. Mine acts like yours only when cold so I've gotten in the habit of shifting from 1st to neutral, release the clutch, engage the clutch and shift to 2nd. It is still not smooth but is a little easier. As you say, in a few minutes the tranny fluid warms up and the smoothness is normal.

I'm just praying that it holds together until the TSB replacement actions prove to be accurate and all the parts become readily available. Until then no long trips for me.

I suspect like many of you, every time I drive my car, I wonder if the transmission is operating normally. So here is my question. When I drive my car for the first time of the day, especially when the temperature is down around 30 - 40 degrees, I can feel some crunching going on as the shifter moves into second gear. After about 10-15 minutes when things are good and warmed up, I would have to say it shifts fairly smoothly, at least what I would consider normal. Having said that, I will admit that I am a little paranoid with the whole TSB thing. Other Mustangs I have had in the past: 87 GT and 98 Cobra did pretty much the same thing. Any thoughts?

I would also agree, this is "normal" stuff.

Mine's an everyday driver. It was 19 degrees out last Monday and as long as you don't do any bonehead maneuvers, she's safe to drive. Definitely need to get some heat into the tires though. As for the second gear crunch, absolutely it will do that when she's cold. I granny shift as slow as I can into second gear. I'm like you, I'm not ready to have the tranny torn open until they've learned how they go back together.

Mine did the exact same thing until I replaced my stock shifter with the Shelby Short Throw....second gear crunchy gone even when cold.

I also drive occasionally in the cold (below 40) and BCPD199 is right "as long as you don't do any bonehead maneuvers (i.e. drive it like a granny), she's safe to drive."

Same thing here, my car does exactly the same thing when shifting to 2nd gear for the first 5 minutes, then is smooth like silk with the kr frpp shifter.

Because I do not drive my car as often as other people do, may be I won’t see the symptoms until the car warranty have expired(1.5 yrs to go), besides, I work in the aviation Industry and here we do preventive maintenance rather than corrective maintenance; it is way much cheaper to change the flywheel and clutch now for an aftermarket one( I am considering centerforce aluminium flywheel and clutch) than having to change in the future the flywheel, clutch and Transmission(may be US 6000 dlls++??)

If I don’t have problems by the end of the regular car warranty, I will just change the fw and clutch for my peace of mind.

Cheers and HAPPY 2009!!

:happy feet:

Archived