TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It's good to be king: Shelby GT500KR is the monster of all Mustangs

robertlane

The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 King of the Road scares me.

It's a Mustang with a sticker price of $79,995. Ford only made 1,000 of them in 2008 and dealers have asked much more than the suggested retail price.

But my fear did not stem from the car's price. I've driven more expensive vehicles and less practical ones.

Really, the GT500KR didn't frighten me when I got inside it and fired up that 5.4-liter supercharged V-8. I may not have fully respected this Mustang when I hopped into it for the first time, but I sure as heck did by the time I got out of it.

The first "incident" occurred along Gibraltar Road when I started to pass a minivan poking its way up the same straightaway.

With no oncoming traffic and the lane open, I dropped the six-speed manual into third and kicked out to the left. The moment I mashed the pedal to the floor and listened to that supercharged whirl come from under the hood, the SVT light on the speedometer lit up and the back end of the KR jumped to the left and shuddered -- full power, full torque ripping through the rear axle.

"Oh, sassafras" -- that's paraphrased -- blurted out of my mouth.

The car leaped forward. I passed the minivan almost instantaneously, and the car still charged harder.

I was a rodeo cowboy. I was Slim Pickens on an H-bomb barreling to automotive glory. Don't let that laugh hide my terror.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 King of the Road scares me.

It's a Mustang with a sticker price of $79,995. Ford only made 1,000 of them in 2008 and dealers have asked much more than the suggested retail price.

But my fear did not stem from the car's price. I've driven more expensive vehicles and less practical ones.

Really, the GT500KR didn't frighten me when I got inside it and fired up that 5.4-liter supercharged V-8. I may not have fully respected this Mustang when I hopped into it for the first time, but I sure as heck did by the time I got out of it.

The first "incident" occurred along Gibraltar Road when I started to pass a minivan poking its way up the same straightaway.

With no oncoming traffic and the lane open, I dropped the six-speed manual into third and kicked out to the left. The moment I mashed the pedal to the floor and listened to that supercharged whirl come from under the hood, the SVT light on the speedometer lit up and the back end of the KR jumped to the left and shuddered -- full power, full torque ripping through the rear axle.

"Oh, sassafras" -- that's paraphrased -- blurted out of my mouth.

The car leaped forward. I passed the minivan almost instantaneously, and the car still charged harder.

I was a rodeo cowboy. I was Slim Pickens on an H-bomb barreling to automotive glory. Don't let that laugh hide my terror.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.

I think you would be surprised what a Fays2 Watts Link would do for the feel of your car, it will tame that puppy. Just an honest opinion.

I wonder how the 2010 GT500 will affect the prices of the 2008 & 2009 KRs? The base 2010 GT500 has the same 540 hp along with handling upgrades and an improved interior. The only reason to pay the higher price for a 2008 or 2009 KR would be the low production numbers, assuming there will not be another KR, which is unknown at this point.

I wonder how the 2010 GT500 will affect the prices of the 2008 & 2009 KRs? The base 2010 GT500 has the same 540 hp along with handling upgrades and an improved interior. The only reason to pay the higher price for a 2008 or 2009 KR would be the low production numbers, assuming there will not be another KR, which is unknown at this point.

THAT IS SIMPLE, IT WILL DESTROY THE VALUE IN MY OPINION, basically you are getting a KR minus the hood with the 2010 model, oh yea, also you save almost 40K, lovely huh.

There will be no KR in 2010, 2011 as that edition is now retired.

2011 The car will be called a King Cobra (605hp verision of the 550hp 2011 gt500 model). This car will be built by ford/svt only. Its not 100percent definite ford will release it, but is on the table(50/50 chance they will release it)

None in the plans for 2010

2010 GT500 only ,at least for now unless something changes

kind of like the 2yr run? remember SAI has 5yrs left on thier contract with Ford. we could see a 2013KR (45th Anniversary). only 3 MY's away.

The contract is for the use of the Shelby name.( IMO )From this point on you will only see cars modded from Shelby after Ford sells them(like the super snake).

The contract is for the use of the Shelby name.( IMO )From this point on you will only see cars modded from Shelby after Ford sells them(like the super snake).

so your saying post title cars like the SS? not pre-title like the KR?

Watch, the 2010 KR will be 605HP! I guess I am glad I didn't end up buying an 08 KR!

I passed on the '08KR as well. But I do have a new Mustang in the garage! I finally went for an '08 Saleen S302E, in Speedlab yellow - the only production yellow Mustang in 2008. 620HP, Watts link - its one beautiful car! Only 32 made, now *thats* limited! I have only put 2 miles on it so far, can't wait for better weather...

Still, I think anyone out there with an 08 or 09KR still has a great car in their hands!

Chris.

I passed on the '08KR as well. But I do have a new Mustang in the garage! I finally went for an '08 Saleen S302E, in Speedlab yellow - the only production yellow Mustang in 2008. 620HP, Watts link - its one beautiful car! Only 32 made, now *thats* limited! I have only put 2 miles on it so far, can't wait for better weather...

Still, I think anyone out there with an 08 or 09KR still has a great car in their hands!

Chris.

That's one bad MF Saleen. Are you sleeping in it? I would have a hard time not driving it. I have a 302 in my Parnelli Jones and they where real adament about the break-in procedure. First 500 miles no revs over 4000 or somthing like that. Do you have the same thing ? I now have 885 miles and it's two years old. It's not superchared but it runs like a 2000 cobra R.

That's one bad MF Saleen. Are you sleeping in it? I would have a hard time not driving it. I have a 302 in my Parnelli Jones and they where real adament about the break-in procedure. First 500 miles no revs over 4000 or somthing like that. Do you have the same thing ? I now have 885 miles and it's two years old. It's not superchared but it runs like a 2000 cobra R.

I owned a 302E Saleen in Lipztick Red it was a great car, however the 4.6l just does not compare to the 5.4, it is a nice car and I am not knocking it, enjoy it for many years. The only drawback other than it having the 4.6 was the ugly rear spoiler, for the record I feel the same way about the KR spoiler.

Chris.

congrats and please post a pic.

post-20972-1231386732_thumb.jpg

post-20972-1231386732_thumb.jpg

I owned a 302E Saleen in Lipztick Red it was a great car, however the 4.6l just does not compare to the 5.4, it is a nice car and I am not knocking it, enjoy it for many years. The only drawback other than it having the 4.6 was the ugly rear spoiler, for the record I feel the same way about the KR spoiler.

the “Extreme” has a 5.0 with a forged crank, forged connecting rods, individually blueprinted pistons, a 5 axis CNC aluminum cylinder head, high flow fuel injectors, and high performance forged camshafts.

I have a 302 in my Parnelli Jones and they where real adament about the break-in procedure. First 500 miles no revs over 4000 or somthing like that. Do you have the same thing ?

The break-in is under 4k for the first 500 miles, under 4.5k for the next 500 miles. That is going to be torture! I've only put about 2 miles on her so far, at this rate she won't be broken in before 2020! Heheh, but don't worry, as soon as the sun comes out I'll be driving her a _lot_ more. :shift:

The engine is 5.0l, but is not a "5.0" exactly - it is a stroked (but not bored) 4.6 block. All forged-internals, and the fact that they are not bored, should be a big help to longevity. I believe a stroker is not quite as solid as a standard stroke engine (something to do with piston-skirt overlap, I think), but there is less stress on the motor for the same power output, so it all balances (in theory anyway).

I must admit that the 5.4 engine in the GT500 and KR was what kept those cars in the running during my 2-plus years of waiting for this purchase. At one stage I was really considering the Roush Blackjack - but the 4.6l just wasn't doing it for me. The S302E is the perfect balance for me - not "just a 4.6l". I would guess that the weight of the S302E engine is quite a bit less than the 5.4 as well... But yeah, if Saleen had offered a 5.4l, I would have jumped at it (actually, I think they may do - the S331 must be around 5.4l, but as it is based on an F150, not exactly the same animal! :->)

And here is the obligatory photo :happy feet:

ctann-albums-sally-x-picture9161-sallyx.jpg

OK, I didn't really mean to highjack this thread, so lets bring this back to KR's - the S302E is now the stable-mate to my '68 GT500KR. That was the final decider - I wanted another car in yellow, and this S302E is the only 2008 in yellow. As soon as the sun is shining, I will post a pic of the pair, for your viewing pleasure...

:drool:

Chris.

Chris, Techco has taken that 5.0 to 667RWHP/565RWTQ. Wait till they put their new 3.0 SC on that engine. You should be over 100lbs lighter in front end over the KR. OK, :backtotopic:

Chris i like this topic keep up the info. Since Saleen only made 30 SC 302 units there isn't much info on these cars. I think the 302 that Saleen builds is a great engine in either trim.

Chris i like this topic keep up the info. Since Saleen only made 30 SC 302 units there isn't much info on these cars. I think the 302 that Saleen builds is a great engine in either trim.

Well, as a further GT500/KR link, the S302E uses the same gearbox as the KR - albeit with a different clutch and flywheel (so no clutch grab TSB for me :happy feet: ). Mind you, I don't know how Team Shelby would feel if I asked them to open up a "Saleen-Corner..." :hysterical:

Chris.

Well, as a further GT500/KR link, the S302E uses the same gearbox as the KR - albeit with a different clutch and flywheel (so no clutch grab TSB for me :happy feet: ). Mind you, I don't know how Team Shelby would feel if I asked them to open up a "Saleen-Corner..." :hysterical:

Chris.

Yeah i see your point , but none the less i can't get enought info on these cars.

• 5 weeks later...
Watch, the 2010 KR will be 605HP! I guess I am glad I didn't end up buying an 08 KR!

I also think you are a very smart man for not paying the price for a 2008 KR. These cars are so over priced it isn't even real. I said they would be in the low to mid $50K's and we are seeing it now. These people who paid $80-90-100-110-115K were absolutely under the ether. They are now awake and can't believe what they've done! Good job LuisA, good job.

Archived