TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My wife gave me a birthday present!

blueshawk

My wife backed into my 2007 black SGT and put a groove in the very bottom of the driver's side rear quarter panel, just above the bumper. The bumper only had a scratch or two. It's been fixed (got it Christmas Eve) and the body work is very good but they had to repaint the entire quarter panel and above the driver's door and the paint is not the same as the original. It looks like the base color in the factory has more "orange peel" than the repaint. At certain viewing angles in the sunlight you can tell it's different. In diffused light (overcast, etc) you can't. They had a hard time getting all of the clear coat defects out (I had them redo it again). I'm told this is what to expect with "black". It pains me more than the stripe wrinkles and dip in my hood scoop that catch my eye every time I get in and out of the car (But, I'm getting these fixed next month).

Also, I can't put my car cover on for months until the paint thoroughly hardens. Now the rest of the car and stripes will get more exposure.

This reminds me of me the last muscle car I had, a 1970 Chevelle SS 396. I had for only a week until someone smashed into the back of it. It never was the same after it got fixed either.

BOO HOO!!! :cry:

Oh Well, it's really not that bad (I keep telling myself this) and if you drive a car, sooner or later something lke this will happen. The car still is one of the most awesome looking cars I've ever seen on the road. The car is perfect other than a few cosmetic flaws. I haven't had a single "Ford" issue yet (knock on wood).

On positive note! I put the 93 octane Brenspeed tune in the car and it is awesome!

If the only variant you see is the difference in orange peel , maybe you could also ask your body shop to make a "wetsand" blend. That would knock down the orange peel on the factory surface and blend to your repainted panel. then just give it a good buff, and it should take care of the illusion between panels.

Good luck, are you still married?

My wife backed into my 2007 black SGT and put a groove in the very bottom of the driver's side rear quarter panel, just above the bumper. The bumper only had a scratch or two. It's been fixed (got it Christmas Eve) and the body work is very good but they had to repaint the entire quarter panel and above the driver's door and the paint is not the same as the original. It looks like the base color in the factory has more "orange peel" than the repaint. At certain viewing angles in the sunlight you can tell it's different. In diffused light (overcast, etc) you can't. They had a hard time getting all of the clear coat defects out (I had them redo it again). I'm told this is what to expect with "black". It pains me more than the stripe wrinkles and dip in my hood scoop that catch my eye every time I get in and out of the car (But, I'm getting these fixed next month).

Also, I can't put my car cover on for months until the paint thoroughly hardens. Now the rest of the car and stripes will get more exposure.

This reminds me of me the last muscle car I had, a 1970 Chevelle SS 396. I had for only a week until someone smashed into the back of it. It never was the same after it got fixed either.

BOO HOO!!! :cry:

Oh Well, it's really not that bad (I keep telling myself this) and if you drive a car, sooner or later something lke this will happen. The car still is one of the most awesome looking cars I've ever seen on the road. The car is perfect other than a few cosmetic flaws. I haven't had a single "Ford" issue yet (knock on wood).

On positive note! I put the 93 octane Brenspeed tune in the car and it is awesome!

Here's my story....I had just bought my Saleen about a month and a half prior to the incident, well I was on my way to a car show in Dallas. I notice I was empty and I had no money. So I took my Saleen into a drive thru ATM to get some cash out. As I am driving out I could hear a cracking noise and scratching noise coming from the bottom of my car. I was worried so I back the car up a little and pulled the car straight. After I left the ATM I pulled into the gas station I inspected the damage, my entire passenger side front fender and side skirts were bent and scratched and the wheel was dented and scratched. Evidently I ran over the curb trying to get out so my stupidity cost me a whopping $2000 to fix. I glad I got my "baby scratch" early though instead of way down the line.

I know it won't be the same, but it's just a car...

Have fun with it!

Well, I took the car out today and got two compliments on it! I needed that. After looking at the car it is more than just "orange peel", the color is not exactly matched. It seems as though the factory color was wetter when applied and appears darker. The new paint is a bit cloudier. But it is noticable only in direct sunlight at a certain angle. I notice it because I'm looking for it. Maybe when it hardens and I can get a good wax and polish it will get a deeper look to it. The factory paint seemed to when I put the first wax on it. I hope so.

My next car is going to be a lighter metallic paint because I've found them to be the easiest to match if repainted.

ur in good company. i had to repaint my entire car due to hail damage. the dents were too numerous and deep on some areas and some were in precarious places that couldn't be PDR'd anyway.

i wonder since they installed the stripes before the paint had months to really harden, would it effect it underneith the stripes? hmm.

oh well its no longer original factory paint anyway, so if i need the car painted again it wont matter

:bandance:

I would not accept the car no way. If you do accept the car you'll be very sorry down the road. It needs to be done perfectly, really.

Drive on-

I looked at it some more in the bright sunlight today. It really is a different color. It's "smokey" looking instead of black. Also there are alot of swirls in the clear coat from buffing. None of these show up in diffused light like indoor flouresent lighting or a cloudy day.

I called GEICO and complained. I'll take it to another bodyshop on Monday (one that I believe will do it right) to get an estimate and then go back to the body shop that did it and talk to the resident GEICO rep. I will not let them do it again but only let the other bodyshop do it even if I have to pay for it. But I shouldn't!

Thanks for the advice.

A GREAT shop that you know will match the paint perfect is priceless. I have one who has touched up three of my cars for minor scrapes and scratches and you absolutely cannot see where they fixed. If anyone in Northeast Ohio ever needs work, I would gladly recommend them.

It could be they didn't put enough paint on the car. When yoou said it was smoky in color that reminded me of a truck one time i had painted. the paint shop did a good job of being smooth and know runners but some areas were lighter than others because they tried to skimp on the paint. Once they put more paint on the truck then it looked fine. Just a thought,Good-Luck.

Sorry to hear about your SGT!!! I hope it all it works out. I had a brand new car once that my mother ran into in the garage (back in the 70's). I never did see that car w/out that little dent in the rear bumper. Hey, how come I never read about father's or husbands hitting there son's or wife's cars??? :lol:

Sorry to hear about your SGT!!! I hope it all it works out. I had a brand new car once that my mother ran into in the garage (back in the 70's). I never did see that car w/out that little dent in the rear bumper. Hey, how come I never read about father's or husbands hitting there son's or wife's cars??? :lol:

Every car.....................EVERY CAR I SAY.............,

in our household has my wife's mark on it. She is contantly bumping into stuff when parking. I tell her she drives using the BRAILLE method.

altho it's no comparison, i had a door ding (or huge gash like crater as we say now) right on the crease/body line. i considered replacing the door and having the side painted but was told the paint would never match so i went with paintless dent repair. i spoke to 4 different shops about my ding and they all had the same advice. i;m just wondering if it's possible for that new paint to match the old???? in any case, good luck with it and you do sound like a saint living with the braille-driving wife!!!

altho it's no comparison, i had a door ding (or huge gash like crater as we say now) right on the crease/body line. i considered replacing the door and having the side painted but was told the paint would never match so i went with paintless dent repair. i spoke to 4 different shops about my ding and they all had the same advice. i;m just wondering if it's possible for that new paint to match the old???? in any case, good luck with it and you do sound like a saint living with the braille-driving wife!!!

I got an estimate from the another shop and they said they can make it better. GEICO will pay for it. Maybe you're right it won't be a perfect match, but this is really off. It also has alot of swirls caused by the buffer. They must have had the speed too high and/or used too much pressure. I'm told by the people who sell the paint to all the shops in town, that there should be no swirls. I asked about 3M swirl remover and they said it won't remove the swirls but only "fill" in the surface to make them less evident. Once there, they eventually come back after time and washings.

I take it in on Jan 12th and I hope this does it because it is my last attempt.

I got an estimate from the another shop and they said they can make it better. GEICO will pay for it. Maybe you're right it won't be a perfect match, but this is really off. It also has alot of swirls caused by the buffer. They must have had the speed too high and/or used too much pressure. I'm told by the people who sell the paint to all the shops in town, that there should be no swirls. I asked about 3M swirl remover and they said it won't remove the swirls but only "fill" in the surface to make them less evident. Once there, they eventually come back after time and washings.

I take it in on Jan 12th and I hope this does it because it is my last attempt.

use Meguires number 82 and number 83 and this will be the trick with a buffer. There will be swirls on the first buff. They forgot to use 83 than 82 after the wool buff.

You need to graduate down to get the perfect shine...

Guest hfrosso

Just before i put my Shelby away for the winter i took it for a last ride, it was about 5:00pm it was getting dark.

just before i stoped at a trafic light i heard a noise comming from de rear of the car it sounds like i've ran over someting'i stoped and had a quick look , saw nothing.2 weeks later i was in the garage when i looked at the rear of the car and realize what hapened that day, a dear ran into the car!!!! At least the damage is not so bad.I'm going to take the car to Tasca Ford to have them fix it the hood scoop ,stripes and

"dear damage"ass soon as the weather gets beather.

Guest hfrosso
That's a new one! That's either one fast deer or you need to find the gas pedal! :hysterical:

you bet!!!! I was stoping at a trafic light, and it was dark, never saw that one coming!!! :headscratch:

Archived