TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's your Shelby's story?

GP500

I think it's interesting how people came to purchase a Shelby. Not that you asked but here's my story.

I always loved Shelbys and at first thought I wanted a version of Eleanor model. Lack of warranty and a price that is half my house changed my mind. Prior to the Shelby we had 2 cars, a Crown Vic and Ford truck. I blew a spark plug and trashed the engine on the CV. Bought an 08 Taurus which was nice and put a new engine in the CV, but I've had my eye on the Mustangs since 05 and especially the Shelbys.

Fall rolled around and economy tanked and the dealers started selling at MSRP. Traded the Taurus and came home with the GT500 and I'm in love. So here I am with 3 rear wheel drive vehicles, all V8 and all Ford. My carbon footprint is growing! Oh well, what are you going to do? I can't fit in a Prius. Besides, they make F150s here in KC and I like to support the blue oval workers. Merry Christmas!

Here is my story.

I didn’t set out to buy a GT500; I went to a Ford dealer about 40 miles from my house as an afterthought. My wife and I went shopping the day after Labor Day; I knew that there was a Ford dealer near the mall that had a new Roush Stage 3. I told my wife that I would like to stop and look at it. When we got there the dealer also had two new Shelby GT500’s, one Vapor and one White. They wanted $8000 over sticker price for each one. Just kidding around with the sales person I said that I would buy one if I could get it for sticker price, He said “I will sell you either one for sticker”. Well he called my bluff. The wife liked the Vapor one and gave me the ok to get it. I called the credit union and got an over the phone loan approval and now I am the proud owner of a Shelby GT500

I started seriously shopping in New England for a GT500 during the fall of 2006. I owned a '68 in college and knew the mark. The appearance of the new version really stunned me. It's a gorgeous car. Problem was that, at the time, I could not find a dealer willing to talk for less than a 20K DM. Some would not even talk at all. During the winter months, that DM came down to 10K in some locations, but still too steep, IMO. Soo...I tracked down the owner of my local dealership and wrote him a letter introducing myself. He was kindly responsive, and cut that DM in half. I ordered the car in Feb '07. It took an entire year for the car to show up. I took delivery in Feb '08. So far, no complaints. It now sits in storage waiting for spring.

Since the 2004 announcement of the 2007 Shelby I have been patiently waiting. Working a seconded job, scrimping and saving every penny I can find. My wife thinks I am a little nutty, she does not understand the whole car thing. Last year on my birthday after a ruff day at work I pull into the driveway a much to my surprise my wife parked her van outside the garage. This never happens. As I got out of my car and made my way to the garage, I'm thinking did she, did she really get one, and how much did she pay, what was the ADM. Oh yea I got to open the garage door first. I look up and saw the kids peeking out the windows and whispering. Ok something is up. As the door opened I tried to sniff out the new car smell… nothing, then much to my surprise… A new GT500 red with white stripes is sitting before my eyes. My kids left a note “happy birthday hope you fit”. Check out this car…

OK now… A year of saving, a year of waiting and ADM’s gone. Fast forward to my birthday this year. I found a dealer 2 hours from my house and Wahoo. Looks whats in the garage now….

post-2412-1230300771_thumb.jpg

post-2412-1230300896_thumb.jpg

post-2412-1230300771_thumb.jpg

post-2412-1230300896_thumb.jpg

Mine is a lifetime story... (edited, this ended be longer than I thought)

I've grown up around great Fords. Back in 1967, we were living in Port Moody, British Columbia, my father ordered (from Fogg Motors in New Westminster, also the authorized Shelby dealer) a 1967 GTA Fastback in Lime Gold with the hi-po 271HP 289 K-motor (which is now referred to a Legend Lime).

Back at the late sixties, early seventies, a Vancouver Ford dealer called Musgrove Ford had a enthusiast group called the Musgrove Mustangers! They did rallyes, parades etc...my parents were actively involved in the car club and have pictures of me as a yound lad (8-10 years old) standing in front of Shelbys, Bosses, Mach 1's....so suffice to say, I grew up with my blood running Ford blue.

Due to the "early exposure", I've always been a petrol head, gear head, lug nut...

Fast Forward to 1991, Having assembled an interesting ownership history of cars from my teens into early adulthood...I stumbled onto a 1968 GT500KR that had only 48k original miles, and this car was virually spotless. I'd always dreamed of a Shelby, and it didn't matter which model, I just HAD to have one, but the timing was never right, until August 20 1991, when I drove home with this big block fire breather...

Fast Forward to 2006, as I'd been a member of SAAC since 1980 (remember, I'd always dreamed of owing one) I participated on all of the Mini-Nats events that the local NorCal SAAC chapter organized, then in March of 2006, I get an email from one of our chapter organizers asking if I'd be interested in spending the weekend with Ford and a bunch of media folks for one of their West Coast Media blitz's (as they called it) for the NEW upcoming 2007 GT500. Ford wanted 5-6 of the vintage cars there...

This didn't take any thought process, YES, I typed back when and where...Claremont Resort in Berkeley California, be there by 8:00am on Saturday as they want to line up all of the cars for pics prior to the media getting there...

This weekend ranks up there with on of the ALL-TIME best automotive experiences I've ever had. We met many interesting people, media folks, Hau Tai-Tang, the SVT boss at that time, I got a great pic of myself and Parnelli Jones in front of my KR.

Our job that day was to hang around with our cars, answer questions, and take some of the media for rides in our cars, as we got into late afternoon, the media was done with testing the new GT500's, the Ford people called us over and tossed us the keys, and said, go have fun, just be back here in an hour! The GT500's they had there were still considered prototypes and ONLY had 475HP, but damn, if we didn't use everyone one of those. We drove them hard, after all, these cars, as prototypes were going to go to the crusher after they were done...

Ford was an amazing host, they put us up in the resort, fed us, all expenses paid. The highlight of the evening was a private dinner with ALL of the SVT engineers, WOW, Jameel Hameddi was across from me, and Gene Martindale was beside me, there wasn't enough time to answer all of the questions I was asking..

Of course, after that weekend, my wife and I knew we HAD to get one, and as most of you know dealers had already started their waiting lists and most were asking 20-25k over list.

That next Monday, I called almost every SVT certified dealer between Bellingham WA, and San Diego CA.

I got myself on 4 lists the highest being 10k and found one dealer in southern Oregon who was only 5k over (i placed a $1000 refundable deposit with this dealer). Of course, all of the lists didn;t tell you much as the dealers had no idea when the cars were being released. (In fact, due to my awesome weekend with Ford, I know more than these guys did about the cars)

I didn't need to be the first guy on the block to get one, (I turned down one deal at 10k over when my name came up) so I always worked the phones to find a better deal. I have a friend in Oregon who also liked the car, so I told him to go into his local dealer and see what kind of deal we could get on two cars, he got them for 3k over (I got me refund on the other car). He got his Vapor coupe on Oct. 30, 2007, with my Blue coupe slated for delivery sometime in late Feb....

On Thanksgiving weekend 2007, I was surfing on craiglist, and stumbled across a fully loaded Ebony convertible for sale at a dealer up near Sacramento....when I saw that sinister black with those red seats inserts....I called my wife in and showed her the pics, she said if you can get that at the price you want go for it...

I called the dealer, negotiated the price which ended being only $220. over list, (they had just reduced it from 20k over down to 3k over) drove up (180 miles away, one way) on that Sunday after Thanksgiving, the dealer got us out the door in 50 mins, an we were back on the road in our NEW GT500 convertible.

Sorry didn't mean for this to be a book, but I told you in the beginning, it truly is a lifetime story.

I went to the NY auto show in the late winter/early spring of 2005 and saw the Shelby for the 1st time. Right there I wanted one. Came home from the show and plunked a deposit on one for myself at a local dealer. Waited what seemed like forever, and hammered out a price and finally got a phone call in September of 2007. Go down and pick out my order. Picked the car up on 12/05/07. Merry x-mas to myself.

I was overseas and chewing at the bit to get back to the states (3 year assignment), I had been without a real muscle car for years and I had been saving a good chunk of $$ just for this occasion. I had it narrowed down to a few cars, and when I got back and closed on our house it was game on. I was looking at Gen III Viper Coupes, GT 500s, and Roush/Saleen Mustangs. I went all over the area looking and lots of phone calls. Viper dealers were arrogant and in essence didn't return my calls, or take me seriously. I drove both the Saleen and Roush 427s, I just wasn't impressed with them at all. I had been to all sorts of Ford dealerships that had a few GT500s, but ADM was still in full effect at that time and my son and I were treated like a second class citizens on more than one occasion. Just on a whim while the wife went to Costco for some stuff I dropped her off and went to the dealer around the corner that I knew sold SVTs. There it was, 07 Alloy metallic, under the carport covered in rainwater with plates. I figured it was an employees car, so I didn't think anything about it. They had two coupes on the floor, and we started going back and forth about ADM. Then the salesman asked it I had seen the one out front, the one with the plates?? Needless to say we sealed the deal, just above sticker, with 900 miles on the clock.

Like many, I spent hours on the internet devouring every bit of info on the upcoming GT 500 from the moment I first heard of it. I knew I had to have one, but knew it would be a while as I couldn't afford an ADM. I was an early member of the the Team Shelby predecessor, StangsUnleashed, and went to a GT 500 meet at Grabber's place in May of '07 when I was still driving my '98 Cobra. I told the group then that I hoped to be a GT 500 owner by the 2nd event in one year.

In early October of '07, I was browsing the inventories of local dealers, and saw that my favorite dealership had exactly the car I wanted in stock, newly delivered. I had been torn between red with black stripes, and alloy with silver, but my wife cast the deciding vote for the alloy, and there it was. I waited a week, and then went in just to have a look. Four hours of negotiating later, I handed over the keys to my pristine '98, and hopped into my new GT 500 and literally drove it off the showroom floor.

Just over a year later, and I've attended several events, including Grabber's 2nd roundup, and I've made quite a few modifications to the car. But, I've only racked up 2900 miles in 14 months.

Well, my GT 500 is my 4th Mustang (3 of which have been convertibles) and the culmination of a dream. From the age of 16, I've never been without a convertible--9 of them in all from a '59 MGA to the GT 500. When I went into business for myself (carpet cleaning & janitorial), I gave up driving a convertible daily, finding a truck much more suitable than my '97 Sebring JXi. That was 5 years ago. I consoled myself with my son's cars (see signature) but started getting antsy for my own convertible again. When the 05's came out, I was in a real debate with myself. I was lobbying (with the wife) for a 390 horse, supercharged Cobra, but the new body style won me over. I could give up 90 horses for the retro-styling. The 67-68 has always been my favorite body style Mustang. In the fall of 2007, I began to shop for a Mustang, planning on buying in Jan-Feb of 08. My time frame work out so I adjusted to early summer. Again plans fell through, but a new option appeared on the horizon....the Shelby GT. I wasn't thrilled with the blue/silver boy-racer look, but it had the Shelby name on it and that was something I had dreamed of since I was a wee one. In addition, it had a few extra ponies under the hood and that was a priority too. I debated back and forth about the extra horses and Shelby name being worth the extra $$$ and researched every option I could find. Should I buy a GT and mod it up to Shelby standards (or beyond) or spend the $$$ up front and get the "real thing"? All the time my wife, for whom I finally had to make up a Mustang Options Chart (GT, Shelby GT, Modified GT, GT 500), questioned me on why I wasn't going for the GT 500. Well, I would explain, it was much, much more expensive, wildly fast and only came in a 6 speed. Since she would be the primary driver, I wanted as little stress on her already stressed knees as possible. The GT 500 simply wasn't in the books for me.

By early summer I had adjusted my sights again for July....then August....then September. It seemed that our ducks were never going to get in a row for me to get a car. Then, in mid August, we made the fatal (or fortunate) mistake of walking into a showroom to get up close and personal with a SGT. It was sitting on the showroom floor between a black 08 GT 500 and the 07 Alloy GT 500 I eventually bought--all convertibles. My wife took one walk around the SGT and pointed out that it had no rear spoiler, the tape stripes were wrinkled around the hood scoop and either of the GT 500's were "much sharper". Man, I love her! The salesman pointed out that the 07 was a certified pre-production car with the lowest VIN assigned a GT 500 convertible and it could be had for MUCH less than the $62k on the window sticker. I had not exactly ignored the GT 500's but all my research was focused on the GT's and SGT's. I wasn't really prepared for the onslaught of information and performance from the GT 500. By the time we got home, my wife and I had agreed on a price, including tax, title and license. If the dealer could meet our price, we'd buy the car. I had already decided that if not a SGT, I'd go for a dark gray (Alloy) GT, so the color just suited me. When I called the dealer back, I asked him to shoot me a price on all 3, the 08, the SGT and the 07. The 07 came in about $2000 below our "set" price!

Never, in all my wildest dreams, did I imagine that I would have one of these incredibly powerful and beautiful beasts. It is really a dream come true. Since the purchase, I have discovered that the GT 500 rides better than the SGT, sits a little higher and seems to suit us better all the way around. My wife has no problems driving the straight shift (she is the coolest kindergarten teacher in the county!) every day and I get it at night and when I don't have to have the truck--mainly on pretty days! We've driven 10 hours in it to Myrtle Beach and loved every minute of it. It is a joy to have and to drive. I've never had what you would call "common" cars, and the attention this one attracts makes me feel 17 again. I could not have picked a better car for myself......

My 9 convertibles include: 1959 MGA, 1969 MGC, 1973 MG Midget, 1972 Mustang (351C), 1992 Mustang LX 5.0, 5 speed, 1972 Jensen Healey, 1982 Fiat Spider, 1997 Sebring JXi, 2007 GT 500. I also have owned a 1964 1/2 Mustang coupe (289 4V), 1973 Opel Kadette, 1974 Fiat 124 and a Chrysler PT Cruiser--Dream Cruiser Series I, #701.

Thanks for letting me ramble on!

Enjoy the ride!

Well, I'm happy to say I'm the proud owner of a '09 GT500 (Vapor/Black Le Mann Stripes) as of yesterday. I had previously bought a Shelby GT, but my mind & heart was always set on a GT500. A year ago I went to the dealerships here in Houston set on buying a GT500. To my dismay, they were being marked up 15-20K over sticker!!!! Not being able to afford it, I settled on a Shelby GT, which is a great car, no doubt about it. Fast forward to yesterday, GT500's are selling for MSRP and I can no longer hold off on getting one. Trade-in my Shelby GT and begin anew with a GT500. I grew up seeing the old school Shelby's all over magazines and always dreamed of owning one. Now it's a dream come true with a GT500!!

Been driving hi performance Fords since returning from Viet Nam the first time in the late fall of 66, have never been without a hi-po Ford matter of fact...Fast forward to 1999, been retired from The Navy, found out you can only transplant bushes so many times before you start killing them...decided to go back to work. Wife is running back and forth to VA from AL to visit with the kids (we ran away from home when I retired) and the ol Super Coupe had a little issue....time for a new car, 135K on the Bird, time to go with something with a warranty as I was now full time in a very challenging position. Mustang GT was the car of choise, couldn't find a Red/manual in central AL....dealer has a red Cobra in prep...the saga begins!

The 99 turned into an 03 10th into an 08 Shelby GT500. Started lusting in late 05/early 06, decided to wait because the ADM thing was out of control. Stayed out of control into late 07 but was begining to fall off so I start looking in earnest. None to be had in my color, all with too many options, tried to order, couldn't no allotments left. Dealer called inventory control in Atlanta (the Ford lady), she told him to put my car in the bank in Dec. and see what would happen....no promises. Was told in mid Jan 08 it would not be built....next day got a call, they pulled it for build...a local dealer sitting on two allotments turned them back in! Sold the 03, killed a non performing IRA (talk about an investment turning out OK!) and took delivery of MY car 3 March 2008! Now have 9000 smiles on it!

Ok I'll try to keep this short...I had a 49 Merc (chopped, air ride, etc. beautiful car) & my friend has a '66 Shelby GT350H (beautiful black/gold) we always go to the car shows in Pleasanton, CA. He finds a deal on a 2007 Shelby GT500 (vista blue/white stripes) in AZ and buys it Nov 2006. Now he brings both cars to the shows. All three of these cars get a lot of attention. We are always joking about the cars..he says "give me $15,000 and the Merc and I'll trade you the Shelby". I say "OK -the black/gold one" & he laughs. One day I mention that I'm going to sell the Merc. He calls me later and says "I know we're always joking about the cars but I will trade you straight across for the 2007 GT500". :headscratch: He had a Merc in the day but it was wrecked & I have always wanted a Shelby, so we make the deal. But during the trade, he says he needs $5.00 and I ask why...he laughs and says he has to be able to tell people he got the Merc & cash. So I asked if he wanted it in "ones" . . . :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

• 1 year later...

Here's my story. Well I have always been a fan of Carrol Shelby the racer, the performance builder, the legend. Like many of you here I was head over heels when I first found out Ford was coming out a new Shelby gt500 along with Carrol Shelby at the reigns. But I knew it would be marked up and it was as much as 20,000 to 25,000 over sticker owning a new one at that time where shattered by this. Anyhow, by late 2008 the great news came that my first born a son, was to be born in May 09 by far the greatest news in my life, now thoughts of getting a new Shelby gt500 were far away and quite frankly it didn't matter. Yet, being a ford fan I was that guy that goes to the Ford lots to see these beauties and nothing wrong dreaming and doing a little window shopping after hours of course. Well forward to April of 09 wife is 8 months pregnant there are two Shelby’s available in one area Ford dealer and one other in another Ford dealer. With the economy the way that it is the two available where still asking 10,000 over sticker with new ones coming underway which shocked me really and they park them outside daily and drove daily to gated lot every day. i thought to myself as much as i like to see them outside "when I window Shop" I felt bad for the new owner that these cars are out in everyday weather and being driven daily and for 10,000 over msrp no less.

Then comes the meeting with 2009 alloy parked in the show room floor with 7 miles (?) I think owner and some managers took it for a spin anyhow I actually saw this car when it arrived in early January i believe to that dealer. It sat there indoors all that time. Finally i asked my dear wife let me take my car at the time a 2004 40th anniversary mustang gt sonic blue, to the dealer see what they would give me for my car just curious i said. But really dreaming at this point. Well, of course i go in to see the beautiful alloy Shelby gt500 silver stripes sitting in showroom floor and here come the salesmen. My car sits parked by the service station area and as i walk in the service manager tells me, "Nice car are you going to trade or sell ???" and laughs I say depends on deal.

Long story short, I spend some time talking to the owner of Ford dealer and the finance manager about my car I said I will consider trade but I have the original wheels which were 5 spoke mirror finish 17 inch 2001 cobra rims with khumo tires 275 front 245 rears which are still in good shape (for sale by the way) sorry had to put that in there. The aftermarket wheels were Ford 500 replica chrome 18 inch wheels with 305 drag radial nittos in rear and 265 nitto in front that I want to keep. Well here it comes, they offered me 14,000 for my car which had 60,000+ well-kept miles car ran very good. Interior and exterior in excellent shape. I was immediately stoked I knew they wanted to sell the gt500 they also told me it is for sale for you if you want it at sticker price. It has DVD based navigation system and HID lights which by the way the two I mentioned earlier at 10,000 over sticker did not have either plus were parked outside and driven daily. Wow I though now I am really dreaming must call wife just to let her know guess what Hun??!! She immediately thought wow what a deal but we need to seriously talk about it. And in an instant I was brought right back to reality. I love my wife always brings me right back from the clouds before I do something foolish.

So I decide to leave taking one good glance at the Gt500 and pass by the service area and the service manager says again very nice car I like it, how much then he laughs I'm outta of there. I will be honest, for the first time I felt hopeful. A week later wife fully pregnant we have a baby underway and doc does not want her to leave town anytime soon may have to induce. Then while at docs office I get a call from dealer I assumed I would get and the Sales guy Jay, says the owner says he will go give 16,000 for your car but he wants the aftermarket wheels on the car wow I said in my head that’s way more than what car is worth I thought damn what a deal. I tell my wife she pulls me back in ok salesman tells you this over the phone come on might just be realign me in. Well doc notices I'm excited and asks I know you are having a baby and u were very excited before but this looks a little different kind of like a silent excitement if that makes sense. Remember the doc said no traveling at all but dealer is an hour away from home one way. My wife says he just wants to get a new car his dream car and they are claiming to give him a good deal on his car. Doc asks wife what kind of car she replies a 2009 Shelby gt500 he goes wow really, well in that case I will allow you to go get this deal done this once since it may be the only chance of getting something nice for yourself for a while and good luck those Shelby are sure nice. Wow i love you doc wife agreed here we go. Now not to be insensitive wife was checked out baby was good even kicking with excitement I think as I tell my wife this car is for our son I will just be taken care of it while I am alive LOL! Sure she says.

Low and behold we are on our way to the dealer at around 6 pm on a Wed. night is this really happening relax no deal yet me being a realist I was prepared to come right back home with my healthy pregnant wife and my gt. Well as cheesy as this sounds, dreams do come true although my son being born one of the best moments in my life, the Shelby is my material dream to own. Dream came true They gave me 16,000 for my trade in which by the way would you believe the sales manager bought the car straight out he wanted it all along it never sat in car lot I talked to him later it went to a good home I think. And it is now 9pm and my wife unborn child and I are driving home at slow speeds of course with a brand new 7+ miles Shelby gt500 back home to its new home and garage. I cannot believe it I actually drove it out of the showroom floor awesome. Never looked back since my son loves it sits in it my wife loves it as well she's driven it once. What can I say I love her so much for helping me make all my dreams so far come true. Just my little story thought i ‘de share. Thanks all for being a great forum and a whole bunch of great people period.

Each of our Shelbys have their own story with the GT 500 having probably the most mundane. It was early October 2008 and we had been to a karate tournament in RI. We had missed the normal turn to head back to NH and ended up taking 495 to 3 and ended up in Nashua. We decied to stop at the Texas Roadhouse for dinner since it had been a long day. On the trip back and during dinner, my wife and I had talked about what Ford currently had to replace our aging van with. I had told her about the Flex but she did not know what that was. Since the Texas Roadhouse was just across the street from a Ford dealership, we drove over after dinner to give her a chance to take a look at the Flex.

They did not have any on the lot but had one in the show room. Donna got out to go in while I got the kids settle to go in. A few minutes later, Donna can running out and told me that they had a black GT 500 on the show room floor as well. Of course, we were both excited to take a look at it and spent a few minutes talking with the sales people. We had talked about the SGT and cobra replica that we had and how we really like the GT 500 as well. While we were talking with one of the sale people, the other called the manager who was at home. The dealership was asking $5,000 ADM on the car. After talking with the manager, the sales person came over and indicated that he had agreed to sell it for just slightly less than MSRP. Donna and I talked it over and decided to add it to our family. Two hours after walking in to the dealership, we were leaving with our new pride and joy.

well lets see. my first car was a fox mustang and always loved the pushrod motors. I ended up buying an 03 gt and fell in love with mod motors. we had planned on doing the Mustangfest trip from mustang OK to mustang island Tx. 3 days before the trip i was at a stop light with the wife when #7 blew the plug out of the top of the head. So in a dark parking lot i re-tapped the hole and we were good to go. The whole trip i was drooling all over the shelbys and trying to keep up with them. on the way back just south of ft. worth i pulled off the freeway and blew #8 plug out of the head also. so again here i am on the side of the road with a flashlight and a tap. on the way back the wife told me NO MORE!!

she nagged and nagged me to go check out the local shelbys. she ended up gettin on line and finding a few and took me to look at them. about a week later i took her to lunch when she informed me that i wasnt going to work today due to the fact that i was going to buy a shelby and would not be coming home with out one. so now ive got my 09. of course 3 weeks later i found out she is preggo. not sure what kind of kiddo car it will be but ive been told that selling it is not an option and i can deal with it lol

well lets see. my first car was a fox mustang and always loved the pushrod motors. I ended up buying an 03 gt and fell in love with mod motors. we had planned on doing the Mustangfest trip from mustang OK to mustang island Tx. 3 days before the trip i was at a stop light with the wife when #7 blew the plug out of the top of the head. So in a dark parking lot i re-tapped the hole and we were good to go. The whole trip i was drooling all over the shelbys and trying to keep up with them. on the way back just south of ft. worth i pulled off the freeway and blew #8 plug out of the head also. so again here i am on the side of the road with a flashlight and a tap. on the way back the wife told me NO MORE!!

she nagged and nagged me to go check out the local shelbys. she ended up gettin on line and finding a few and took me to look at them. about a week later i took her to lunch when she informed me that i wasnt going to work today due to the fact that i was going to buy a shelby and would not be coming home with out one. so now ive got my 09. of course 3 weeks later i found out she is preggo. not sure what kind of kiddo car it will be but ive been told that selling it is not an option and i can deal with it lol

Now, THAT's a good woman!

Here we go...

Back in 77 I turned 16 and wanted a 69 - 71 Mach 1 (always preferred a old original Shelby Mustang but too rare and cost too much to afford) so my father and I began looking. We found a 71 Mach 1 that was yellow with black stripes packing a HO 351 Cleveland for $1,400 with about 60K miles in pretty good shape. Bought it on the spot then had it repainted, bought new wheels and it was my baby. Then after about a year we were at a friends house hanging out and we heard a loud crash!!! We ran out of the house to see a car barley making it down the road after hitting my car first, then my friends 68 GTO and 68 Duster! I chased the car until I could run no further then it turned out we were able to find the asshole and he was hammered!! Drunk as a skunk! It totaled my car although with today's technology I know that car is somewhere being drove now!! Then a bought fixer upper 69 Mach 1 then sold it after a few years as I needed something more dependable as times were tough. For years I regretted it and with the crappy Mustang II's and the ugly low HP Mustangs that were being produced I had no interest until the 88 Mustang GT' 5.0's came out and bought a White 89 GT. After 6 months a thug stole my car! Bad Feeling! So I go back to the dealer and buy a black 89 GT hoping the change of color would bring my better luck! Drove that car off and on until 2005 as a 3rd car and then had to sell once I laid my eyes on the 2005 GT as I wanted one badly as I loved the throwback look! I ended up buying Red 06 GT and had the wide white stripes put on it as I wanted it to have a similar look to the upcoming Shelby GT-500 that was already on the cover of Car and Driver. I was also hoping that by purchasing the 06 GT I could get on a list to by a 07 GT-500 as soon as they came out but could not and would not pay $15K over sticker. So I began impatiently waiting and looking for the Shelby premium to come down but the Dallas area dealer would not budge!! Bastards! I even would just drive by a dealer to stop and drool over the GT-500's on the showroom floor hoping the dealer would come down on the price to no avail! So then the 08's came out and I was determined so I expanded my search and began negotiating with a dealer in east Texas and finally in Feb-08 he came down to a price I was willing to accept at $2500 over invoice! It was just what I wanted....Torch Red with White Stripes and loaded! My wife and I drove out to pick it up in my 06 GT and as we drove up to this little dealership I could see the car sitting out in the bright sunshine and a gentleman was finishing up a wax job that I had purchased and at that time the heart started pounding and the happiness was out of control! So, we left and the wife followed and we had a ball driving the 100 miles back home! I let the wife in front and she said all she could see was TEETH as I was smiling ear to ear!! To this day, I still have that shit eating grin on my face when I drive it and enjoy every minute of every mile!! It is one of the things that makes me proud as there are very few cars that make people almost break their necks to get a good look at my SHELBY!! God love Carroll and Ford for making this happen!!!

Awww, I've finally met another guy whose wife wears the pants!!! :hysterical:

Ain't it a wonderful thing?

.....so for years, I'm in and out of cars. A hundred or so. As 2005 approaches and the media is a-buzz with the retro-designed 2005 Mustang going to debut, I begin to feel my heart skip a few beats...from time to time. I see they are going to offer the cars in Legend Lime Metallic, which I thought was very cool, seeing I had owned (2) '67 Sh!t Green coupes over the years. Not to mention, probably owned a total of 8 Mustangs. Probably 6 Corvettes, a few Nissan Z's, a couple Celicas, two '70 Cougars, and three German made Mercury Capris. Plus, a host of others!

After years of (looking back on them now) sadly designed Mustangs, finally the retro affect hits the Mustang, and not just the Thunderbird. VW, had quite a hit with the NEW Beetle, and the Chevy SSR pickup was arguably a throwback designed truck, as well. It was time for FORD to attempt a throw back, and throw back they did! These new cars instantaniously eclipsed the older predecessors.

Slowly, the news also begins to trickle out about a remake of the GT500. Now I start thinking....oohh!? Then it gets serious, and rumors are put to rest with some media shots on almost every possible car magazine and car-porn website! So now, the begging starts. Honey? Oh honey? Ummm, Ford is gonna build a new GT500 in the updated retro body style that is being introduced. Plus, they are gonna do a white car with blue stripes, just like the originals. She responds, just like always before..."yeah?" I say, yep, and this is the car that I've waited for all of my life! She replies, "You know, you always say that to me when it's time to buy something else!" I tell her, but honey, this is the real deal. I'm not crying wolf anymore! Hehehehe.

Anyways...I scout around all of the smaller towns in Az. to find a stealership that will get me a car at MSRP. Yeah right!!! That didn't happen. So I settle on a store in Mesa Az. that's only doing $5K over. I get in line with a girsky down, and they tell me I'm #18 on the list, which puts me into the '08 model year. The sales guys were a$$holes to us guys that were getting in line for these cars. I'm not too sure why, other than they weren't cheap, and maybe some of these guys were jealous? I dunno. So I go away mostly deflated and prepared to continue reading EVERY new car mag that comes out and wait, wait, wait!! It sucked...the waiting!!

Then one day, one of my customers comes into the bikestore to look at bikes, and turns out he owns a restaraunt, and loves cars, and car talk. We hit it off. I go to his restaraunt, he buys a bike, we become friends. One night at the restaraunt, (knowing full well I wanted a GT500), he introduces me to Harley Kluxton, who is a regular at his restaraunt, and is a big time Ferarri dealer in Scottsdale Az. Harley is 'connected' in ALL car circles. He is personal friends of Carroll, Jamal, (in charge of SVT), and many other guys in the car biz that I won't list here and now. Needless to say, this is the guy you want in your camp!

Harley tells me to get my $$$ back from the stealership, and that I would be getting a call in a week or so from someone inside FORD. The car would be list price...no games...and I would be a V.I.P. customer!! Wow! I'm thinking as I drive home that night, that I need to wake up from this dream? Don't you know, one week later, I get a call from Robert Parker at FORD asking if I really wanted to order a new GT500? :happy feet:

Placed the order Jan. 1, 2007. Car was built on Feb. 16, 2007 (day after my birthday), sat in Detroit on hold waiting for striper for a month or so, and I took delivery on April 3, 2007. Just as shelbydfw stated above, I get a sh!teatin' grin on my face everytime I fire it up, and take it for a spin. To this day, it turns heads. People don't know what it is. Still!

My list of thank you's......My Lovely Wife. Harley Kluxton. Roberto from Venetto Trattoria restaraunt. And mostly, Carroll Shelby, for his continued drive to build the best, most exciting muscle cars in the USA! And to the current generation of SAI employees, I say, thanks for all of your continued support with autographs, this forum, and just staying in touch with each and every one of us! Long live the Shelby brand! :shift:

BIKEBOY

I enjoyed reading all of your stories about how and why you came about your Shelby's, and i am very happy i came about mine. here it goes.

So i work with my father and we own a body shop, i have worked in the shop since i could push a broom or pick up the sand paper on the floor. i bought a wreck 2005 dodge Dakota 4x4 it had a clear title and only 800 miles on it when was 16 i had 14k in it my dad made a deal with me and told me he would go half with me when i bought my first vehicle so i got 7k and he gave me his 7 k(only money he ever gave me for a car, which i am very fortunate some kids get nothing.) after fixing that i put 15k miles on it in a year and sold it for 16k . next i bought a 2006 Cadillac cts wrecked it had a salvage title then after we fixed it it becomes a rebuilt (most of you probably know how that works)had 17k in it and my mom liked it and she gave me 18 for it so i could buy my first Mustang :) i found a 2007 GT wrecked in long island salvage auction we buy from. after i was done with small modifications i sold it for 23k and that''s when i went on the Camaro hunt.

i was 18 at the time, after watching the new transformers movie i really wanted a 2010 2ss camaro yellow with black stripes(what kid wouldn't).So i sold my 2007 GT mustang and went to my local dealership and ordered one the first day i could according to the forum and camaro website. long story short a year later when my car was supposed to be arriving i got a call from a friend of my dads asking me if i ordered a black one? well i was the first one to order one and put money down on one but apparently someone gave a bigger down payment 4 months aftter my preorder, i put down a $1000 down i didnt have to but i wanted to then that happens and without notification. then they tell me they arnt sure when mine would come in.

Now the good part, end of january 2009. after being pissed that i got screwed i thought why not buy a wrecked Shelby GT500?(i see them all the time on the website we go to) so i found a few and my dad wanted me to go look at one in person to make sure it was what i liked before i bought one. so he took me to the local dealership we order our parts for our business through. they had a 2008 black conv. and a 2008 vapor silver with black stripes brand new with 25 miles on it. i liked them both, we had the typical salesman show trying to get us to buy one but it was way out of my price range at the time they would take sticker at $46,***. so we left and i was at work when my dad called me in the office and i wasn't sure what was going on. well he says" Me and your mom talked it over and we will let you do this if you want to" i was excited but confused a lady called from the dealership that knew my dad and she gave us and offer to buy the car for 37,*** plus tax ( they said they can do this because of the business we send to them and all of the parts we order from them them they wanted to give something back) still a little more than i could afford but my dad knew i really wanted this car and said that i would of had about 36-37 after tax with the Camaro so he took me to his bank and let me get my first loan so i could afford it, and he co-signed for me. So 2 days later i came home with my new Shelby GT500, that night i washed it and waxed it twice. i think i spent 6 hours without taking my eyes off of it. I couldn't believe i bought my first brand new, non-wrecked car. :)

Now almost 2 years later i have almost put enough mods and installation cost on it i could almost buy another one :(.

For some of you that may be interested in the wrecked Shelby's i see, i would post picture's on here but it may scare people(it makes me sad but also concerned about safety) and i don't know how to add pictures, their is currently 4 wrecked shelby's 07-09 on the site and 1 2010 gt500 :(

I enjoyed reading all of your stories about how and why you came about your Shelby's, and i am very happy i came about mine. here it goes.

So i work with my father and we own a body shop, i have worked in the shop since i could push a broom or pick up the sand paper on the floor. i bought a wreck 2005 dodge Dakota 4x4 it had a clear title and only 800 miles on it when was 16 i had 14k in it my dad made a deal with me and told me he would go half with me when i bought my first vehicle so i got 7k and he gave me his 7 k(only money he ever gave me for a car, which i am very fortunate some kids get nothing.) after fixing that i put 15k miles on it in a year and sold it for 16k . next i bought a 2006 Cadillac cts wrecked it had a salvage title then after we fixed it it becomes a rebuilt (most of you probably know how that works)had 17k in it and my mom liked it and she gave me 18 for it so i could buy my first Mustang :) i found a 2007 GT wrecked in long island salvage auction we buy from. after i was done with small modifications i sold it for 23k and that''s when i went on the Camaro hunt.

i was 18 at the time, after watching the new transformers movie i really wanted a 2010 2ss camaro yellow with black stripes(what kid wouldn't).So i sold my 2007 GT mustang and went to my local dealership and ordered one the first day i could according to the forum and camaro website. long story short a year later when my car was supposed to be arriving i got a call from a friend of my dads asking me if i ordered a black one? well i was the first one to order one and put money down on one but apparently someone gave a bigger down payment 4 months aftter my preorder, i put down a $1000 down i didnt have to but i wanted to then that happens and without notification. then they tell me they arnt sure when mine would come in.

Now the good part, end of january 2009. after being pissed that i got screwed i thought why not buy a wrecked Shelby GT500?(i see them all the time on the website we go to) so i found a few and my dad wanted me to go look at one in person to make sure it was what i liked before i bought one. so he took me to the local dealership we order our parts for our business through. they had a 2008 black conv. and a 2008 vapor silver with black stripes brand new with 25 miles on it. i liked them both, we had the typical salesman show trying to get us to buy one but it was way out of my price range at the time they would take sticker at $46,***. so we left and i was at work when my dad called me in the office and i wasn't sure what was going on. well he says" Me and your mom talked it over and we will let you do this if you want to" i was excited but confused a lady called from the dealership that knew my dad and she gave us and offer to buy the car for 37,*** plus tax ( they said they can do this because of the business we send to them and all of the parts we order from them them they wanted to give something back) still a little more than i could afford but my dad knew i really wanted this car and said that i would of had about 36-37 after tax with the Camaro so he took me to his bank and let me get my first loan so i could afford it, and he co-signed for me. So 2 days later i came home with my new Shelby GT500, that night i washed it and waxed it twice. i think i spent 6 hours without taking my eyes off of it. I couldn't believe i bought my first brand new, non-wrecked car. :)

Now almost 2 years later i have almost put enough mods and installation cost on it i could almost buy another one :(.

For some of you that may be interested in the wrecked Shelby's i see, i would post picture's on here but it may scare people(it makes me sad but also concerned about safety) and i don't know how to add pictures, their is currently 4 wrecked shelby's 07-09 on the site and 1 2010 gt500 :(

You can upload your pictures on http://photobucket.com/ and put a link in your post

Forever and a day, I always thought it was silly to have a performance vehicle. My older brother has some of the sickest toys you could imagine (1200+ rwhp C6 vette, Ariel Atom, ProMod Drag bike, and the list goes on and on....) and all I could think was "the speed limit on the hwy is 55 mph". "Why does he like speed so much?" I would ask myself.

One day I found myself without a vehicle and called him to see if he would let me borrow one of his many to get around for a week or so. He said, "sure, come on over and you can borrow my 2003 Ford Lightning". I was hooked the moment I stepped on the gas! Later that week, I was delivering a package (I drive for UPS) to a customer from Summit Racing. I never took notice of these sorts of things but now I had a vehicle that moved. I asked him what he was building and he opened the garage to unviel a 1400HP 2004 turbo Mustang. We talked for a minute and I told him how I loved the Lightnings' power but really wanted a car. He said "you should check out the new GT500 Mustang, they have the same motor but it is built".

From that day on, I was all over the internet researching and looking at sale ads. I was trying to find one in my budget but these things was stupid expensive. I thought I found the deal I needed in Jan of 2010. A local dealer had a 2009 White with red stripe for $42K. It only had 300 miles on it and was loaded with about 7-9K in mods. I backed out on the deal 3 times while doing the paperwork. I finally ticked off the salesman so bad he walked off. I stood up and told my wife I was done looking.

I decided I would wait for an all stock car that was more in my price range. I figured I could wait until the end of 2010. Boy was I wrong. I couldn't stop obsessing over this car. I was on my way home from work one night in March (just 3 months later) when an orange car caught my eye at a dealer off the highway. I took a second glance and notice the hood! I was nearly jumping out of my skin. I circled back and found my deal.

I told my wife about it and that the were asking $39,960 for it. She said "do whatever you want". I haggled the price to $34,500 but in the end they said they just couldn't do that. At the end of the month, the salesman called and asked if I was still interested. I said yes. He told me that his boss gave him the OK to let it go for $34,500. I said thanks but with 22K on the odometer I think I may have misjudged its value. Sheesh, they didn't like that.

Finally, I told them that if they wanted to move a unit off the lot before the end of the month (it was the 2nd to the last day of the month) I would go $33,750 + a 5 year 75K mile warranty and take it. They said "NO WAY". I picked up my stuff and said "have a good day".

As I was getting to my 1.9L 90hp Jetta, they came out and said "you got it, come on in and sign the papers"

This is the part where the happily ever after music starts.......

I have never owned a two door car or anything with over 300 h.p. until I got my GT500. I told my wife in early 2009 I was going to buy myself a new car, something that hauls a#@. She told me I had to pay off a credit card and my truck. I paid off 10k in credit card debit and 7k on my truck in 11 months.

I ordered a 2010 Camaro 2SS in October 2009. I was about two days away from getting my new Camaro when I found my GT500.

I found a gently used 2008 GT500 with only 2,600 miles on it at a Cadillac dealership in Las Vegas. The previous owner, who was also the original owner, put about 5k in upgrades on the car, which was all of the stuff I was going to do it eventually. I was amazed at a price tag of $34,988.00 for my Shelby. The salesman told me it was priced low because their dealerships sells Cadillacs, not muscle cars.

I meet the previous owner a few weeks after I bought the GT500. He gave me the original parts and I bought the Shelby car cover from him for $100.00. He told me he paid 55k for the Shelby.

I like the fact the Shelby store is about a five minute drive for me. Or maybe that's a bad thing!

I always wanted a GT500 since they first hit the lots. Of course with the huge mark ups on them I wasn't able to afford one at the time so I settled for a barely used 2005 Mustang GT. I kept the GT for close to 3 years and added several modifications making it a true show car. I took home several awards with the car and grew quite attached. I was beginning to think I would keep the car forever and hopefully be able to add a GT500 along side of it someday when a friend told me about a 2007 Shelby GT500 with just 1800 miles that had been listed online about 30 minutes away from where I lived. My interest peaked so I went to the computer and found the ad. After seeing the pictures I knew I wanted the car. However, I couldn't afford to have both cars so I decided I would list my GT and if it sold I would go buy the GT500 if it was still available. With it being November and the weather turning quite cold and nasty I really didn't think I would be selling a sports car at the time. Two days after I listed my GT I received a phone call from a interested buyer. He wanted to come out that day. I showed him the car and he seemed real interested, which got my hopes up, but shortly before leaving said he had to come up with the money and talk to his bank. Everyone knows how that goes. You usually don't hear back from those people which is exactly what I thought would happen at the time. However, to my surprise, I received a phone call back two days after he originally first came out to look at my car and he said he wanted to come out and put a deposit down to hold it until the end of the week when he would have the rest of the money. I agreed to hold the car and then quickly called the owner of the Shelby. He still had it and said I was welcome to come look at it. Of course I was so excited I went and saw it that day. Needless to say I was not dissapointed! The car was beautiful and everything I always wanted. I explained the situation to the owner about a potential buyer coming to get my GT at the end of the week and told him that I would be glad to take the Shelby off his hands as long as the sale of my GT went through. Friday seemed to take forever to arrive but it finally did and the buyer showed up with the money for my GT and drove it home. I then made arrangements to pick the Shelby up the next morning and the rest is history. I have only had the car for a month and a half now but absolutely love it!!

So here is a story from a few years back. Our 02 mustang GT is getting a little tired and is in need of some renovation, I am figuring around 5-10k to get it back up to snuff and then some. We have looked at the 05s and just don’t like the body style enough to get a GT.

We decide lets find a 03 or 04 terminator in mint condition; we really like the body style. I start to look for one on the island and find a 03 with low miles the guy is asking top dollar, if it is clean it might be the one. We go check it out not impress he is the 3rd owner it is from Alberta and it has an insurance claim no one can seem to explain. We take it for a ride anyway and have a look at it on a hoist. The undercarriage is just kicked to, this car has had been beat on bad. Well we move on. I went looking on the mainland in Vancouver with on luck and ended up at a SVT dealer no leads on a terminator but he will sell me an 07 gt500 700 miles on it for 10,000 over MSRP(what a deal NOT).

We continue to look for a terminator with no luck. I have noticed a black 07 ragtop sitting up island for a few months and the price is dropping ( the economy up island is not doing all that well either; mills shutting down and not a lot of logging going on). We decide that a gt500 might be ok it looks much better than a GT. So I go on line and do a price and build for a 08 orange ragtop and send it to the dealer up island, I know he cannot deliver as he is not a SVT dealer. I get a call in a few days from the sales guy saying sorry but he is not an SVT dealer so he cannot deliver, oh that’s to bad I will keep looking; he pipes in I have an 07 on the lot with 1500km (900miles) on it, oh really what colour; he says Black and I respond I hate Black I had a black car once never again. He comes back with it has been on the lot for a time and the boss wants to move it we should come have a look. I ask how much and he comes back with about MSRP steep for a used car I say well the boss wants to move it you should come for a look. We will come up in a day or so. Lisa and I talk and decide we should go and buy it if we are taking the ride up we will be buying.

Long and short of it is Lisa cut a good deal (I am star struck and in no condition to make a deal with the sales man). As we are driving home in complete silence she ask if I am OK I just respond I think I am in shock we own a Shelby GT500 as I let the super charger wine a bit.

The stories have just kept happing ever since how we were never going to mod it to the 570 RWHP monster it has become.

Archived